Thread: Humidity Beads

Blog Entries

Has anyone used Humidity Beads before? They seem to be exactly what I'm looking for (low maintenance). Do you guys know if they are rechargeable? From the instruction page it seems like you can simply add some distilled water when the moisture content gets low.
    Last edited by hex1848; 03-25-2005 at 07:46 AM.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848

Has anyone usedHumidity Beadsbefore?
    They seem to be exactly what I'm looking for (low maintenance). Do you
    guys know if they are rechargeable? From the instruction page it seems like you can simply add some distilled water when the moisture content gets low. </span>

Humidity beads are very low maintenance. If the proper amount is
    used they should not need any additional distilled water added for 4-6
    months, of course that depends on how many time you go into your
    humidor. If you go into the humi more often the humidity inthe humidor
    will be lost and the beads will have to rebuild the humidity more often.

The beads themselves are rechargeable just by adding additional
    distilled water or by drying them out with a hairdryer for those in
    high humidoty areas. The beads have an indefinate lifetime so you will
    not need to buy new ones unless your humidor gets bigger
    Last edited by Viper139; 02-05-2005 at 08:17 PM.

I've heard of the strips....but not the beads. I will have to check with my local cigar shop to see if they carry them and give them a whirl........

Quote Originally Posted by JulesCigarQuest
    I've heard of the strips....but not the beads. I will have to check with my local cigar shop to see if they carry them and give them a whirl........
    www.heartfeltindustries.com

Blog Entries

I have actually been using the beads for ~ a month or so. I bought a tube for my work humidor, but I dont think it is big enough for my ~100 count box. Viper, I noticed you are carrying the bags now, can you fill these up as well?

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    I have actually been using the beads for ~ a month or so. I bought a tube for my work humidor, but I dont think it is big enough for my ~100 count box. Viper, I noticed you are carrying the bags now, can you fill these up as well?
    Yes you can. The bag will hold a full pound.

The beads offered by Heartfelt Industries are claimed to keep humidity at a stable 65%. While this value may be in the lower acceptable range, most information from the experts suggest that 70% is optimum. Am I getting a little over-cautious or will the 5% difference be significant?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mglantz
    The beads offered by Heartfelt Industries are claimed to keep humidity at a stable 65%. While this value may be in the lower acceptable range, most information from the experts suggest that 70% is optimum. Am I getting a little over-cautious or will the 5% difference be significant?

Mike
    Most people that have smoked cigars for a long time agree that the cigar smokes better at an approximate 65% humidity. At 70% and above you start ot get some smoking issues such as tight draw due to the expanded tobacco from the moisture and difficulty keeping the cigar lit without a relite being required. Now if you plan on long term storage (read that as multiple years) some manufacturers recommend 70-72% for that storage.

In about a week and a half I will be adding 70% beads to my webstore and they will thenm be available if anyone wishes to buy that level of humidity.

Thanks for the info, Viper. My cigars are never in my humidor for more than a few weeks maximum so 65% would be fine. I find it easier to keep the humidity at a slightly lower level than to keep it pumped up so, again, 65% should work well for me. Thanks again.

that's definitley a good point. i never keep any cigar longer than a month at the very longest, so this is good info for me too.

11. Default

just ordered a half pound from heartfelt based on all the positive reviews i've read-should be here in a few days and i'll post my reviews after i've tried them out for a while.

Blog Entries

Remember to RTFM... I got one of the tubes a month or 2 back and forgot to recharge them. My humidity droped to ~60% before I realized what was going on... they were all white.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

The best humidty related investment I ever made.

65% beads from Viper works wonders!!

Thread Information