Thread: Sending some sticks to my friend in the services. Need assistance/advice.

Default Sending some sticks to my friend in the services. Need assistance/advice.

So a good friend of mine is in the Air Force National Guard and is in Tikrit on a voluntary deployment doing techie things. He recently got into cigars and pipes, so I've decided to send him some cigars and some pipe tobacco. I've got some humipacks and tupperware ready, as well as a shipping address. All I need now is some advice on how to send it.

I know when I received my noobie sampler, I got my sticks in a coffee grinder box, but somehow I don't figure this would fly with a shipment to a military address. I'm curious as to what the most kosher method is for shipping tobacco to my friend would be. I don't mind paying as much as needed to ensure it gets there unhindered.

This guy is a dear fiend of mine. He'll be my best man when I finally get married. I'm going to try to put ~$100 into this, but that's limited by my funds (college student). I want to get at least one ISOM, delable it, and just let him know discreetly that the unmarked cigar should be savored.

Here's the fella with his meerschaum pipe and an Kalashnikov.

I am not sure on how to send it, but with respect to the ISOM idea, I would not do it. Apparently most of the packages get screened and you don't want your friend to get into trouble. Maybe someone with experience can chime it.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

I'd save the ISOM for when he gets back, you're putting him at risk too. It's inexpensive to send packages to the troops. Get his APO address, the post office should answer any questions you have about filling out the shipping label. You'll also have to fill out a customs declaration form (form 2976-A)in detail. I would wait to seal up the package until after you fill out the form.

I'd have to agree with the other guys - send him some nice "legal" sticks and save the isoms for a victory party upon his return! There's no risk in having the whole package confiscated, and cc's will taste all the sweeter upon his return home.

In other news, that's a nice looking Kalashnikov variant...looks like a Romanian Civil Guard version.

5. Default

First ISOM's aren't illegal outside of US territory. Second, your friend wouldn't get in trouble for something someone ships to him, and finally "screening" means they x-ray the packages. Somehow I doubt they open each package and do a hands on inspection of all contents. Even if they did how many non cigar smokers would know the difference in a Cuban versus a DR?

Besides, as long as you remove the bands, who would know?

I think what your doing is very cool. I would be glad to throw a few sticks in a box for him. Drop me a note at dcook@natcazjx.org with an address and I'll send you several that will get his attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Runswithscissors View Post
    First ISOM's aren't illegal outside of US territory. Second, your friend wouldn't get in trouble for something someone ships to him, and finally "screening" means they x-ray the packages.
    You may want to research your advice before giving it so freely.

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enfor...ba/ccigar2.pdf

If he's a U.S. citizen, it doesn't matter where he is, it's illegal.

7. Default

No shit. I had no idea that the US government could regulate what you do when you are out of the country.

Still, remove the bands and who would know?

8. Default

Still why take a chance. Dont you think at somepoint someone has tried removing the bands of ISOMs and shipping them. I would think they might have picked up on this and regulate it somehow, seeing as they are pretty strict with the whole deal. You are dealing with the US goverment/military directly here. I wouldnt even take a chance.

Blog Entries

Yeah, save the isoms for the homecoming celebration, there are plenty of great smokes that won't cause any trouble. like everyone else said... not worth the risk.

Dennis~
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Thread Information