Thread: Beer Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    Ninkasi Brewing Co. and 21st Amendment Brewery ~ Allies Win the War!

Ninkasi in Oregon and 21st Amendment in California collaborated to make an ale brewed with Northwest hops and California dates. The box and cans are covered in images of fake newspapers that look like they were from the end of WWII, but upon closer inspection the articles and pictures are about the beer and the brewers. (I bought a 4-pack box for my Dad--a WWII buff--and got one for myself.

It's high in alcohol (8.5%) and relatively high in bitterness (52 IBUs), but it's very well balanced with the sweetness of the malt and dates and citrusy/flowery flavor from the hops. Relatively light in body, but it still works as a winter beer. It's extremely quaffable so be careful of the high alcohol sneaking up on you.

I've just had one from my four-pack so far and looking forward to the rest.
    This is twice in 1 week I've read about Ninkasi brewing. I gotsta find me some...

Any other recommendations from this brewer? I notice one called Tricerihops DIPA. Sounds up my alley.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    This is twice in 1 week I've read about Ninkasi brewing. I gotsta find me some...

Any other recommendations from this brewer? I notice one called Tricerihops DIPA. Sounds up my alley.

Will
    Ninkasi as a whole, like many NW breweries, tend to over-hop their brews (IMO). They have a lot IPAs. Generally I'm not a fan of IPAs, but if they balance the bitterness of the hops with the flavor of the hops and other ingredients, then I like them.

That said, I did like the Tricerahops I had once and I do enjoy Radiant Ale (summer seasonal).

I thought the Believer Double Red and Sleigh'r Dark Double Alt (fall seasonal) were unbalanced bitter.

As for the less-hoppy offerings, I've always enjoyed Oatis Oatmeal Stout, the Renewale Porter (winter 2012) is good, and the Imperiale Stout (special release) isn't balanced (too bitter) for me.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Picked up a 6 pack of Rodenbach for tonight. Love those sour ales.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information