Thread: Dottle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    I get dottle more with some pipes than others, as well as with aromatics more often than straight. Plus time is a factor.

If I'm smoking something like nightcap, which I almost exclusively smoke out of the churchwarden I got from the pipe maker Sarge introduced us to, I get down to nothing but ash. Usually with no gurgle.
    Lots of aros have PG sprayed on them to keep them moist. I avoid most aros for that reason. Altadis bulk aros are full of it...I really avoid them. Better quality briar has less moisture issues as it is drier than lesser quality.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Lots of aros have PG sprayed on them to keep them moist. I avoid most aros for that reason. Altadis bulk aros are full of it...I really avoid them. Better quality briar has less moisture issues as it is drier than lesser quality.
    Do you avoid them because of the Propylene Glycol or because they are too moist? PG is in so many things, I know its purpose generally but I have often wondered about its safety. Thanks.

I would be willing to bet that there are few days of the week that you don't either ingest or absorb PG into your body. I'm not sure of it's exact toxicity numbers, but I doubt you could reach whatever levels would deem it toxic short of doing a PG keg stand. The company I work for sells a shitload of it in tanker loads and 55gal drums. If you need a couple of 55gal drums to do some toxicity testing, lemme know. I need to get my numbers up this quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeCizlak View Post
    I would be willing to bet that there are few days of the week that you don't either ingest or absorb PG into your body. I'm not sure of it's exact toxicity numbers, but I doubt you could reach whatever levels would deem it toxic short of doing a PG keg stand. The company I work for sells a shitload of it in tanker loads and 55gal drums. If you need a couple of 55gal drums to do some toxicity testing, lemme know. I need to get my numbers up this quarter.
    Ha! No thanks, I don't plan on producing any rock concerts that need a fog machine anytime soon. I was just interested in Sarges' thoughts on the matter.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    Do you avoid them because of the Propylene Glycol or because they are too moist? PG is in so many things, I know its purpose generally but I have often wondered about its safety. Thanks.
    PG for me equals too much moisture in tobacco. No matter how much dry time you have PG laced tobacco produces gurgle. C&D Tobacco uses distilled water to keep their tobacco moist. You can dry it ad much or as little as you like. Different pipes smoke differently...You can adjust the moisture to your own tastes with non PG blends.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    PG for me equals too much moisture in tobacco. No matter how much dry time you have PG laced tobacco produces gurgle. C&D Tobacco uses distilled water to keep their tobacco moist. You can dry it ad much or as little as you like. Different pipes smoke differently...You can adjust the moisture to your own tastes with non PG blends.
    Ok, thanks. That's what I suspected. I've only had the aromatic tobaccos served from the giant glass jars at my B&M. I'm still focusing mainly on cigars but it is fun to dabble in the pipes a little as well. I'll have to pick up a tin of non PG next time I'm there to try something different.

Thread Information