Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
I suspect it can be done, but there would be no money in it - growing is less expensive elsewhere, production is less expensive elsewhere, and the US has low duty and excise rates on cigars.
I agree that growth and production are cheaper, but I'm not sure there wouldn't be any money in it. There's definitely a niche market for American-Made goods, whether it's tobacco, alligator-skinned boots, automobiles, whatever. Some people exclusively purchase American whenever possible.

There is also no well-known historic precedent for premium American-grown and -made cigars. The top premium brands (rolled in the US) historically used Cuban tobacco ("Clear Havana's") so there is no historical industry/romance to revive.
True. And this would be the biggest hurdle. But I don't think it's impossible. Strategic marketing, appealing to both the cigar enthusiast and American consumer would have to be employed. I'm not saying it would be easy, I'm just saying it hasn't been done yet - not impossible, though.

The only US-grown premium that I know of is the Kauai Island Prince, although their wrappers are non-US, and, due to tax laws, the tobacco is processed and rolled in Nicaragua(!).
To many in the continental US, Hawaii might as well be a foreign country.

In conclusion, I would think that if the time and money were put into developing a superior product, it would find a market in the states. I've noticed that American cigarettes are consumed in foreign countries, so there's reason to believe American cigars, while may still be second to established Cuban counterparts, could still be a viable option in the humidor. I just don't think enough effort has been put in marketing.