Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Any custom computer builders out there?

Quote Originally Posted by droz View Post
    has anyone tried out any DX11 cards yet?

DX 11? Didn't they just barely get the bugs ironed out of DX 10?

The way things work these days is kind of irritating. They fix all the bugs with a dozen or more patches right before the next version is released. Multi core processors are an irritation as well. They have been out forever, and nobody programs software to use multiple process threads in order to take advantage of them.

It seems as though the quality of programming is suffering these days. The programmers themselves are generally overworked and underpaid. Something is broken that requires fixing in the industry IMHO.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

Whatever happened to DoubleDareDog, the guy that started this thread?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Whatever happened to DoubleDareDog, the guy that started this thread?
    He got all butt-hurt and left.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    DX 11? Didn't they just barely get the bugs ironed out of DX 10?

The way things work these days is kind of irritating. They fix all the bugs with a dozen or more patches right before the next version is released. Multi core processors are an irritation as well. They have been out forever, and nobody programs software to use multiple process threads in order to take advantage of them.

It seems as though the quality of programming is suffering these days. The programmers themselves are generally overworked and underpaid. Something is broken that requires fixing in the industry IMHO.
    Heck there are only around 30 or so games that support DX10, and I agree about the "beta" sort of atmosphere the computer industry is in now, but everyone wants everything yesterday and the companies know the quicker it gets put out, the quicker they can pump out the next big thing. Oh well, but my interest in DX11 isnt for the API but the processing power they supposedly possess without the extra electricity demand. I was just interested in the new cards out, and by saying DX11 made it shorter than listing models.
    Last edited by droz; 11-20-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: it read a little confusing, tried to clear it up.

Heck there are only around 30 or so games that support DX10, and I agree about the "beta" sort of atmosphere the computer industry is in now, but everyone wants everything yesterday and the companies know the quicker it gets put out, the quicker they can pump out the next big thing. Oh well, but my interest in DX11 isnt for the API but the processing power they supposedly possess without the extra electricity demand. I was just interested in the new cards out, and by saying DX11 made it shorter than listing models.
    Here - let me clear up what you are trying to clear up, droz...

This post is neither an encomium of Droz nor a panegyric to his actions. Instead, it is a fact-filled reportage intended to convince you that this is a classic example of a zero-sum game. The points I plan to make in this post will sound tediously familiar to everyone who wants to free people from the spell of absenteeism that Droz has cast over them. Nevertheless, he contends that it is patriotic to saddle the economy with crippling debt and that, therefore, his opinions represent the opinions of the majority—or even a plurality. This bizarre pattern of thinking leads to strange conclusions. For example, it convinces scary vendors of philistinism (as distinct from the raving scamps who prefer to chirrup while hopping from cloud to cloud in Nephelococcygia) that Droz is a champion of liberty and individual expression. In reality, contrariwise, Droz would not hesitate to regulate totalitarianism if he felt he could benefit from doing so. Until we address this issue, we will never move beyond it.

6. Default

I just realized my dire need to invest in a dictionary, where is Webster when you need him?!
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Here - let me clear up what you are trying to clear up, droz...

This post is neither an encomium of Droz nor a panegyric to his actions. Instead, it is a fact-filled reportage intended to convince you that this is a classic example of a zero-sum game. The points I plan to make in this post will sound tediously familiar to everyone who wants to free people from the spell of absenteeism that Droz has cast over them. Nevertheless, he contends that it is patriotic to saddle the economy with crippling debt and that, therefore, his opinions represent the opinions of the majority—or even a plurality. This bizarre pattern of thinking leads to strange conclusions. For example, it convinces scary vendors of philistinism (as distinct from the raving scamps who prefer to chirrup while hopping from cloud to cloud in Nephelococcygia) that Droz is a champion of liberty and individual expression. In reality, contrariwise, Droz would not hesitate to regulate totalitarianism if he felt he could benefit from doing so. Until we address this issue, we will never move beyond it.

Please forgive me, but I told you so. I predicted long ago that ggiese would convict me without trial, jury, or reading one complete paragraph of this letter. Now that he has, I'd like to express my thoughts on the matter. Some background is in order: His bunco games are ghastly. They're unnecessary. They're counterproductive. Whenever I encounter them I think that unless you define success using the sort of loosey-goosey standards by which ggiese abides you'll realize that true measures of success involve complaining about foul gaberlunzies. Success is getting the world to see that I wonder if ggiese really believes the things he says. He knows they're not true, doesn't he? The answer has two parts to it. The first part regards the manner in which it would not be out of character for ggiese to recruit and encourage young people to take away what few freedoms we have left, just as older drug dealers use young kids to push drugs. The second part of the answer is focused on the the way that he's a psychologically defective person. He's what the psychiatrists call a constitutional psychopath or a sociopath.

I am particularly disgusted by ggiese's blind intransigence and utter ingratitude. It's that simple. Don't let ggiese delude you into thinking that he is a protective bulwark against the advancing tyranny of what I call noxious, appalling analphabetics. He's just trying to weaken family ties. I can't follow his pretzel logic. I do, however, know that ggiese's witticisms don't amount to anything, but that's a story for another time. For now, I want to focus on the way that he has got to go—and yesterday isn't soon enough. Please let me explain that we are observing the change in our society's philosophy and values from freedom and justice to corruption, decay, cynicism, and injustice. All of these "values" are artistically incorporated in one person: ggiese.

Surely, the good Lord must have wept when He saw ggiese destroy, debauch, devalue, and dehumanize a wide assortment of innocent people. Here's some news for you: On that basis, I should, at this point, guide the world into an age of peace, justice, and solidarity. Interesting, isn't it? What you may find even more interesting is that I appreciate feedback and other people's views on subjects. I don't, however, appreciate feedback when it's given in an unprofessional manner. His hijinks reek of neopaganism. I use the word "reek" because I have one itsy-bitsy problem with his pranks. Videlicet, they provide coprophagous conspiracies with the necessary asylum to take root and spread. And that's saying nothing about how he can fool some of the people all of the time. He can fool all of the people some of the time. But ggiese can't fool all of the people all of the time. Before you read this letter, you might have thought that the federal government should take more and more of our hard-earned money and more and more of our hard-won rights. Now you know that we're all in this mess together.

tl;dr...
    But in all seriousness, you should have changed the capitalization of my screen name after you ran the complaint generator, the first letter capital was a dead giveaway.

And all I wanted to do was play "ski.exe".

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    And all I wanted to do was play "ski.exe".
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... And I want love, happiness and world peace - and you see where that's headed...

tl;dr...
    But in all seriousness, you should have changed the capitalization of my screen name after you ran the complaint generator, the first letter capital was a dead giveaway.
    Too long? Didn't have time to read? What???

It was a one paragraph manifesto. C'mon - quit being so lazy!!!

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Too long? Didn't have time to read? What???

It was a one paragraph manifesto. C'mon - quit being so lazy!!!
    The tl;dr was in reference to my drivel, just trying to give people a skip point.

The tl;dr was in reference to my drivel, just trying to give people a skip point.
    Ahhh... I was thinking you weren't appreciating all the effort I'd put into reducing my manifesto to one paragraph. Was just trying to make it easier on the eyes.

Default Still Here

I'm still around......just been lurking in the shadows. Actually I have been helping to get another forum going. Right now I am in the process of making a cigar reviewer program that helps to calculate the value of a cigar based on your ratings, the price, and the size of the cigar. So I apologize if I have not been around much. I trust you all are doing fine without me. If anyone is interested in helping to start up a new site that is "newb friendly" then feel free to PM me and I will give you an invite.

Quote Originally Posted by daredog4 View Post
    I'm still around......just been lurking in the shadows. Actually I have been helping to get another forum going. Right now I am in the process of making a cigar reviewer program that helps to calculate the value of a cigar based on your ratings, the price, and the size of the cigar. So I apologize if I have not been around much. I trust you all are doing fine without me. If anyone is interested in helping to start up a new site that is "newb friendly" then feel free to PM me and I will give you an invite.

Who are you again?

Blog Entries

Now that's funny.

16. Default

newb friendly=asshatville=puff.com
    The older I get ,the better I was

Ok... Now this is just too funny!!! We miss you, dreaddog. Things are just not the same without your inspired leadership. Seriously - and we blew the opportunity to have the newb cigar value calculator at Cigarsmokers? Oh, the humanity...

BTW - Hidden, "invite only" sites generally don't do very well. But I'm sure with your depth and breadth of online cigar site experience, you already knew that.

Is that "newb friendly" enough for you? I wouldn't want you to get all butt hurt.
    Last edited by ggiese; 12-28-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Default glad you missed me

Actually the term "newb friendly" was meant to mean that we don't treat people like dirt just becuase they haven't been around as long as us. I will admit there was a time when I actually wanted to be a part of this wonderful site.... I guess I just wanted some place where a BOTL could come and actually enjoy being part of a community. So bash away at this post all you guys like. It will just reinforce the reasoning behind what I am doing. And for those of you out there who come across this post and think that there might be merit to what I am talking about, then give me a shout and I will be more than happy to let you into a forum where people will treat you like a decent human being. You don't have to look up to the trash talking assholes that run this forum.

And by the way. The site is completely free for anyone to join. I just figured that if i just posted the link there might be a few who would join and purposely start a bunch of crap.

Blog Entries

Actually the term "newb friendly" was meant to mean that we don't treat people like dirt just becuase they haven't been around as long as us. I will admit there was a time when I actually wanted to be a part of this wonderful site.... I guess I just wanted some place where a BOTL could come and actually enjoy being part of a community. So bash away at this post all you guys like. It will just reinforce the reasoning behind what I am doing. And for those of you out there who come across this post and think that there might be merit to what I am talking about, then give me a shout and I will be more than happy to let you into a forum where people will treat you like a decent human being. You don't have to look up to the trash talking assholes that run this forum.

And by the way. The site is completely free for anyone to join. I just figured that if i just posted the link there might be a few who would join and purposely start a bunch of crap.
    I see you've gone full blown troll now. Nice

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Hey...

We're VERY newb-friendly around here.

Thin skinned assclown phuktards are a different story. You'll soon find out what you're missing!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Thread Information