Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbolags Very Own Thread to Discuss His Business Venture

Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag View Post
    I had the inconsistent burn happen a couple cigars ago..... every 5 minutes I was touching it up.

When the burn only goes down one side like that, is it because of surrounding conditions like wind? Or is it just the construction of the cigar ?

I think I'll check C Bid for some Padrons.

I wish I'd read through that last page before responding. I probably wouldn't have because you're hijacking this thread. This is a conversation that should be had elsewhere but I will answer you.

The CAO had a "hole" in the middle that ran the length of the cigar. Or at least, once I'd smoked some I noticed a hole in the center after tapping the ash off and it stayed there the entire length of the cigar. I've seen this before (no idea what, if anything, you would call that) and it had the same result.

It was definitely not wind as I was sitting in my hunting trailer as it's too freaking cold outside (was -15 Celcius that day).

Now, to get this thread back on track.

Last night I got together with a good friend at his shop and we both enjoyed an:
    Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Natural
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I wish I'd read through that last page before responding. I probably wouldn't have because you're hijacking this thread. This is a conversation that should be had elsewhere but I will answer you.

The CAO had a "hole" in the middle that ran the length of the cigar. Or at least, once I'd smoked some I noticed a hole in the center after tapping the ash off and it stayed there the entire length of the cigar. I've seen this before (no idea what, if anything, you would call that) and it had the same result.

It was definitely not wind as I was sitting in my hunting trailer as it's too freaking cold outside (was -15 Celcius that day).

Now, to get this thread back on track.

Last night I got together with a good friend at his shop and we both enjoyed an:
    Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Natural
    Yes I don't want to hijack anything. Someone mentioned something and I responded and it took off. Maybe the admin can delete all of these posts that don't relate to this section and the topic can be carried on either by PM or another section ?

Blog Entries

Yes I don't want to hijack anything. Someone mentioned something and I responded and it took off. Maybe the admin can delete all of these posts that don't relate to this section and the topic can be carried on either by PM or another section ?
    We don't delete stuff here. Starting your own thread is probably a good idea as I'm sure there is much more to be explored.

Ok, so how about you help a newbie out ?
    Posts are generally not deleted (with some minor exceptions). What you write is there for all to see - I recommend you be careful what you're posting so as not to worry about it having to be deleted...

So - with the "help a newbie out"... I'm not sure you really realize what you're asking...

Breaking it down on my side - do I feed you fish, or teach you to be a fisherman. On one hand - I see that feeding you fish will satisfy your appetite, but will leave us with having to feed you all the time. On the other hand - we will need to spend significant time and effort teaching you how to be a fisherman. Quite frankly - neither option is really appealing to us (collectively as a community) - since the only thing you're really offering us is to post a link to this forum in your blog/website/whatevertheheckyoucallit. And I really don't think at this point associating this community with your website is a good idea...

I don't know if you've been told - and I really hate to break it it you. Please forgive me... (geez I really, really don't want to burst your bubble) - Uhh... Oh crap... I gotta quit beating around the bush... Arrrgggghh......

...your website is pitiful.... There - I said it! I've finally revealed the elephant in the room! And it feels SO liberating...

Look - I'm not trying to be mean, but c'mon... You cannot believe you will be hired on the editorial staff at Cigar Afficianado based upon what you're writing, do you? Seriously - it is very poorly written - it contains all sorts of grammatical errors - you're quoting sources without giving credit - and just plain bad information. Tons of things that should hit you straight between the eyes that it's just not going to work.

I'm not sure I found anything in what you wrote that would be very much helpful to a new cigar smoker (well - I have to admit - there was actually one guy who seems to be perhaps enthusiastic about your writings, so there is at least one - Mr. Ibara). But I really think you should be recalibrating your expectations of this business venture, and acknowledging you're not really heading in the right direction if you're intent is to turn this into a $$$$.

Your need for help will be something that will be difficult to provide. I see it as (at this point) as only continuing to coach you in the right direction. You've been given plenty of really good feedback. (I'm assuming at this point you've watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" with interest, right?) That's a great start (...and I recommend you pay very close attention to the level of detail Jiro goes through to ensure he's producing a quality product). Next - assemble the tools you need to be a good writer. I know, I know - it's a lot of hard work - but really - it's worth it!
    Last edited by ggiese; 11-20-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Blog Entries

I like Tuna.

My website is pitiful ? Where is your website? Please share.
    My company has a website. It's good, not great...but it does make the phones ring on a daily basis. I'll admit the website needs updating, but I assure you the information it contains is accurate and professional.

Not sure what bearing this has on your situation, but whatever.

Ok, I'm a dumbass!

I thought this was the "what did you smoke today" thread and it's not............

DUH me!

Ignore what I said about thread hijacking and my posts about what I smoked........

*sigh*
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    My company has a website. It's good, not great...but it does make the phones ring on a daily basis. I'll admit the website needs updating, but I assure you the information it contains is accurate and professional.

Nice site.....but, it seems like all you wanna talk about is stuff your knowledgeable about. WTF were you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post

I work next to the marketing group and often engage corporate communications around creating external communications representing our firm. I completely understand the rigor that goes into crafting those communications, and appreciate they are so diligent in what they do so as to never create the impression with anyone that our organization is run by bafoons (e.g. happy clients and potential clients = more $$$$).

Why would anyone want to make such a simple concept so complicated?!?

Look - I truly feel sorry for Turbolag. He's trying to live the American dream - start something from nothing and turn it into a goldmine. The problem is - he's digging for his "goldmine" using a hand trowel. There's maybe a chance he might pick up a small nugget - and just maybe he hits the big one (who knows) - but honestly, I see this as the same as all of the 99.999% of others that die penniless digging for gold with a hand trowel...

10. Default

Im living the American dream too. I worked a couple of so so jobs in my teens and early twenties. Then I found a skill and worked very hard to become skilled and experienced at it . Even after 26 years at it I would not be so arrogant to say I know it all or make a website proclaiming to be an expert at being a Lineman.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Thread Information