Thread: New here-Cuban ?'s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Yea, "STFU" was pretty brash. I apologize.

But no, Bill, you're not right.

The question was not whether Snap-on is superior to Craftsman. I'm pretty sure I recognized that in my original question.

The question is IS Snap-on THAT superior that it commands prices 5-6 or more times expensive? Arguing that over the years, you've tracked down second hand Snap-on through eBay, auctions etc. is not even valid. That actually supports my argument that you recognize that new retail prices of Snap-on is outrageous.

They are better tools. More ergonomic, the ratchets offer "in between" ratchet locations which can be helpful. Smoother action. But are they THAT much better? What are you paying for? Does a 3/8" Snap-on ratchet cost $75 dollars more to produce? Does the Padron 80th $26 more to produce? Does an Audi cost $30k more to produce than a Passat?

I have a lot of Craftsman, some combo wrenches that my grandfather used "professionally" in their small engine repair shop in Jersey. They're at least 70yrs old. I have not experienced and epidemic of nut / bolt head rounding that you speak of. Usually if that happens, I'm either using the wrong tool, or the bolt is in such a shitty condition NO tool is going to get it to come out nicely. Also, if I anticipate trouble, I go with a 6 point socket, rather than a round prone 12point. Also, if you're chronically breaking tools you're probably using the wrong tool to begin with. I've taken some Craftsman stuff back, but I can probably count on one hand to occasions. Once, I found a Craftsman ratchet while doing a bridge inspection, and the ratchet guts were gone, and the finish rusted. I went and got a new one. (That doesn't count)

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Yea, "STFU" was pretty brash. I apologize.

But no, Bill, you're not right.

The question was not whether Snap-on is superior to Craftsman. I'm pretty sure I recognized that in my original question.

The question is IS Snap-on THAT superior that it commands prices 5-6 or more times expensive? Arguing that over the years, you've tracked down second hand Snap-on through eBay, auctions etc. is not even valid. That actually supports my argument that you recognize that new retail prices of Snap-on is outrageous.

They are better tools. More ergonomic, the ratchets offer "in between" ratchet locations which can be helpful. Smoother action. But are they THAT much better? What are you paying for? Does a 3/8" Snap-on ratchet cost $75 dollars more to produce? Does the Padron 80th $26 more to produce? Does an Audi cost $30k more to produce than a Passat?

I have a lot of Craftsman, some combo wrenches that my grandfather used "professionally" in their small engine repair shop in Jersey. They're at least 70yrs old. I have not experienced and epidemic of nut / bolt head rounding that you speak of. Usually if that happens, I'm either using the wrong tool, or the bolt is in such a shitty condition NO tool is going to get it to come out nicely. Also, if I anticipate trouble, I go with a 6 point socket, rather than a round prone 12point. Also, if you're chronically breaking tools you're probably using the wrong tool to begin with. I've taken some Craftsman stuff back, but I can probably count on one hand to occasions. Once, I found a Craftsman ratchet while doing a bridge inspection, and the ratchet guts were gone, and the finish rusted. I went and got a new one. (That doesn't count)

Will
    Uhh, "prices 5-6 or more times expensive" is where you're letting your imagination run wild again...... Can you find me a Craftsman tool where the Snap-On equivalent is "5-6 times" more expensive? If you can, please let me know because I think you're full-o-crap on that one.

And I NEVER said this:

"Arguing that over the years, you've tracked down second hand Snap-on through eBay, auctions etc. is not even valid."

Did I ever say "second hand" here, no I did not so don't claim I said things that I didn't, okay?

And no, I'm not "using the wrong tool to begin with" Craftsman sockets suck and break far more often than Snap-On sockets and their shitty screwdrivers break too, much more so than real tools like Snap-On. In my experience and years of using tools for what I use them for, it's worth the extra money for Snap-On tools over Craftsman. I've returned far more Craftsman tools than Snap-On so much so that it was too aggravating and too inconvenient for me so for the most part, I stopped using them. I think if you used your tools more often, you'd reach the same conclusion that I and many others have.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 08-30-2012 at 02:04 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information