Thread: Bourbons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer View Post
    CC, I'm curious about your bottle of Ardbeg. At this point would you say you drink it for the sentiment? There's no fuggin way that dram could even be a shadow of what it was 10 years ago if it has been open all this time. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are wrong, Scotch and most hard liquors do not spoil when the bottle is open. It tastes just as good now as it did when I bought it. Wine on the other hand starts to oxidize immediately and is no good in twenty four hours if you don't "pump" (suck the air out of) the bottle. There is precious little, if anything in an 80+ proof bottle of booze to oxidize so the taste will not change. If you think it does, you're imagining things.

If you think I'm wrong, go "goggle" it.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    You are wrong, Scotch and most hard liquors do not spoil when the bottle is open. It tastes just as good now as it did when I bought it. Wine on the other hand starts to oxidize immediately and is no good in twenty four hours if you don't "pump" (suck the air out of) the bottle. There is precious little, if anything in an 80+ proof bottle of booze to oxidize so the taste will not change. If you think it does, you're imagining things.

If you think I'm wrong, go "goggle" it.
    Have a friend whose wife was "cleaning up" his scotch collection. She assumed all of his half empty bottles were "spoiled" so she poured them down the drain...

Winston - just had a dram of King Alexander with my brother over the weekend. I don't think it is one bit less pleasurable than the day I opened it nearly 10 years ago. I agree with CC - as long as you keep it corked it's as good as the day you open it.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Have a friend whose wife was "cleaning up" his scotch collection. She assumed all of his half empty bottles were "spoiled" so she poured them down the drain...

Winston - just had a dram of King Alexander with my brother over the weekend. I don't think it is one bit less pleasurable than the day I opened it nearly 10 years ago. I agree with CC - as long as you keep it corked it's as good as the day you open it.
    That sounds lovely. I'll have to search out a "Grail" whisky one of these days for said experience. I did pick up my first Japanese whiskey over the weekend. I'll report back.

Default Bourbons

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    This - not so lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer View Post
    This - not so lovely.
    Yeah - considering he was a serious scotch collector and dumped about $1k worth of some significantly rare scotches!

The laugh we had was a VERY nervous laugh - he doesn't blame her because she had no clue. But - he did have a pretty long conversation with her about how long open bottles of spirit will last. He believes she understand but (at least temporarily) has his collection under lock and key...

6. Default

Man...What I would not give for a good dram of whiskey. Not had a drink since New Year's Eve. Alcohol and arthritis melds do not mix.

Thread Information