Thread: Nice Ashtray

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Here's one from a 1969 Cadillac Coupe de Ville with a 472ci that I blew up 30 years ago:

I thought about cutting it through the pin holes but I think it would have been too deep. Either way, you don't wind up with a whole lotta room for ashes
    Nice looking piston-ashtray you got there, CC86! I think when I make mine, I will cut it through the pin holes. I think that will make for some nice cigar rests, I'm not worried too much about the depth, and capacity won't be a big issue, as long as it holds the ashes from one or two cigars. I'll post a pic when it's finished. Gotta find a nice big piston first though... Looking back now, after hearing your story about the Coupe DeVille, I wish I'd saved one from one of the few engines I've blown up! Ha!
    "I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time." ~ Mark Twain

"Internet quotes are always 100% accurate." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER View Post
    Nice looking piston-ashtray you got there, CC86! I think when I make mine, I will cut it through the pin holes. I think that will make for some nice cigar rests, I'm not worried too much about the depth, and capacity won't be a big issue, as long as it holds the ashes from one or two cigars. I'll post a pic when it's finished. Gotta find a nice big piston first though... Looking back now, after hearing your story about the Coupe DeVille, I wish I'd saved one from one of the few engines I've blown up! Ha!
    Yeah, ya know the more I think about it, that's probably the way to go, cut it right through the middle of the wrist pin holes because as you said, it will make for good cigar rests. The way I cut mine isn't exactly conducive to stopping a cigar from rolling off.

Like I said earlier, I made that one 30 years ago when I didn't even smoke cigars so come to think of it, the idea of rests never occurred to me so I have to correct myself because it never did occur to me to cut through the wrist pin holes. I kind of modeled it after cigarette ashtrays (which I never used myself personally since I've never smoked cigarettes) and there are enough of what you could consider "rests" for cigarettes but not so much for cigars.

As far as bigger pistons, you'd probably need to find one from a large diesel engine because I don't think there are automotive ones larger than the Cadillac one I used. The only problem with larger diameter pistons is they get awfully heavy.

Anyway, I think you're on the right track with making the cut through the wrist pin holes.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 11-03-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information