Thread: Is it even possible....

Blog Entries

Default Is it even possible....

To have your cigars kept around 60-65 degrees, and 65-70% humidity? Would a coolerdor do this? I've seen the winedor option, and that looks like the best solution right now, but I don't exactly have $200 to blow on that right now. A normal mini-refrigerator wouldn't work, because it would keep them too cold, wouldn't it? And you would have problems with humidity, I would imagine.

I know, since reading past posts, that several of you have gotten very technical on this topic. I just didn't know if the laws of science would allow me to achieve 60 degrees temperature and 70% humidity, preferably without a winedor.

Thanks for the input.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

The beads work well for the rh, but the temp is a problem here in West Texas during the summer. I will periodically place a blue ice thing in my coolidor and this seems to keep the temp low enough to prevent tobacco beetles - no infestations yet. My rh fluctuates +/- 5% and temp fluctuates +/- 6-8 degrees, with @ 75 being the hottest.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

They make external, very accurate thermostats for refrigerators/freezers. You simply plug the unit in the wall, plug the fridge into the unit, dial in your temp, and run the sensor into the fridge/freezer. The're used for freezer to kegerator conversions, wine cooler conversions, and home brewing. They are a must for lagering. You can make any freezer or fridge into a precise temperature controlled storage unit.

One word of warning. These converted units can have a tendancy to mold and mildew easily at the higher temperatures. The usual remedy is a tray of dessicant, but that won't work for cigars. The whole unit will probably have to be well cleaned at first and periodically disinfected.

Example:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Refrigera..._p_24-433.html
    Last edited by Kenyth; 05-01-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added link
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info.

I had actually not thought of placing an ice pack in there on the really hot days. While I live in the desert, it's the high desert, which tends to offer cooler evenings. In my research, I haven't read about anything that would harm the cigars by keeping them cooler, but have read past posts by both FunkyCold5 and spiffyKyle that made me wonder if keeping an appropriate humidity would be possible at lower temperatures. I suppose I could play around with it to see.

I have seen a few other external coolant devices, but none that were as economical as the one you provided, Kenyth, thanks! I was really looking for something that I wouldn't have to keep electrically plugged in. I don't know if such a device exists.

It would seem that with both the ice pack melting, and the dependency on electricity, an independent solution isn't yet possible.

Thanks for the advice.

It was this interview that originally got me intrigued. That, and I'm terribly afraid of a beetle infestation.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

If you want to spend a little and make something cool, you could use a coolerdor with peltier units built in. You could use a scrap thermostat, scrap computer CPU heat sinks and power the whole thing with a solar cell and rechargeable battery pack.

http://www.customthermoelectric.com/tecs_imax.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-6-9-12-V-Volt-...QQcmdZViewItem

A fun idea, but the hardware will probably run you at least $100, and you'd have to have a few small power tools and little amateur know-how in electronics.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

my cooler is usually between 58 and 60 degrees and 70 to 72 RH. It's in my basement. I use it for storage and my humi is upstairs and is usually around 68 degrees and 60 RH.

I presume you don't have a basement.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    my cooler is usually between 58 and 60 degrees and 70 to 72 RH. It's in my basement. I use it for storage and my humi is upstairs and is usually around 68 degrees and 60 RH.

I presume you don't have a basement.

Same thing I do. The basement is the best temp controlled area in the house.

On a side note, you can buy 110V/12V peltier based coolers for less than $100. Sometimes about $50 on sale. Not sure about thermostat capabilitites. Solar cells of sufficient capacity are even more than I originally thought. They cost about $20-$30 bucks per watt they provide at 12V.

Blog Entries

I actually do have a basement, I guess I'll just have to put a thermometer down there, because I'm a horrible judge of temperature.

But thanks for all the advice on the powered cooling devices! I was thinking of incorporating something using heat sinks from a CPU, but couldn't envision how it could work.

The humi's been down there a while, and the humidity has stayed at my desired percentage. I will find out temperature this weekend and see. It's fine now, as seeing the mid-50's is rare here these days outside in the middle of the day, but summer is coming. Just wanted to be prepared. Plus, projects are always fun.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information