Thread: Ditch A Smoke?

Default Ditch A Smoke?

Here's a question for the group. You're smoking a cigar that you never tried before and you shelled out a decent number of dollars for it. A little ways through the smoke, let's say before the halfway point, you realize that this cigar is just not to your liking. Do you ditch the cigar or do you suffer through the rest of it to try and get your money's worth?

depends how bad it is

I agree with Drake. If it's flat out "bad" then it...I am not going to smoke it. If it's just plain, or boring or something, I will usually smoke most of it.

Default I chuck it!

If I can't enjoy my cigar it's not worth smoking.

I've ditched smokes before getting through a third of it.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

I'd ditch it. Then if I had anymore left over I would donate them to my friends
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

7. Default Still Smokin'

I usually try to smoke it all the way through. I have been surprised by the startiling change in flavors as you burn through a high-price cigar, so I usually hold on as long as possible. (Unless the cigar is absolutely terrible.)

Yeah, I ditch the really bad ones.
    An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play, it is always possible to get worse.

I'll stick it out till the halfway point and give it the benefit of the doubt...

unless it's by Drew Estate, then it's a miracle it got lit in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-5-8

unless it's by Drew Estate, then it's a miracle it got lit in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Epicurean
    I usually try to smoke it all the way through. I have been surprised by the startiling change in flavors as you burn through a high-price cigar, so I usually hold on as long as possible. (Unless the cigar is absolutely terrible.)

I agree wholeheartedly... I just fired up a JOYA DE NICARAGUA ANTAÑO 1970 a few weeks ago. At first I was VERY unimpressed, and was getting ready to toss it. I hung in there because a lot of people were raving about it. About 1/3 to 1/2 down it started picking up for me - and then I couldn't put it down. Turned out to be a nice smoke.

The Flor de Allones did the same thing to me. It was BRUTAL (I thought) at the very beginning. WAY too spicy at the very beginning. It was like smoking a Jalapeno, to me. But after about 1/3 of the way, it turned into a very nice smoke. Very complex, pleasant and nice flavors - it lost the heavy "pepperiness"...

Blog Entries

Toss it.

No since smoking a bad cigar. Cost has never been an issue with the cigars I've tossed since I can't remember the last time I had to toss away an expensive cigar.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

i tossed a $10 graycliff crystal taco about half way down last week when i was sitting on the beach. it wasn't awful, but i had much better cigars right next to me in my caddy and this was one of the worst cigars i've smoked. so, i chucked it and light up a $3.50 edge by RP.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    i tossed a $10 graycliff crystal taco about half way down last week when i was sitting on the beach. it wasn't awful, but i had much better cigars right next to me in my caddy and this was one of the worst cigars i've smoked. so, i chucked it and light up a $3.50 edge by RP.

I had to blink twice when i saw that CA rated a Graycliffe an 88. I can't remember the size for the life of me, but it just confirmed to me that price isn't necessarily a cigar's real value.

Quote Originally Posted by SFG75
    I had to blink twice when i saw that CA rated a Graycliffe an 88. I can't remember the size for the life of me, but it just confirmed to me that price isn't necessarily a cigar's real value.

Absolutely one of the WORST value of cigars I've ever smoked. They are a barely a GOOD $8.00 cigar, PERIOD - and the damn things are $20.00!!! WAY overpriced....

i think the espressos are great. i've smoked 2. still overpriced, but very good.

Depends on how bad. If it's really bad, it's gone. But, if it's just a problem with construction, or a flavor I can't quite figure out if I like it much, I will stay with it a while. Some cigars will improve as the smoke continues.

Thread Information