Thread: Need some noob advice.

1. Default Need some noob advice.

Hey guys. My name is Robert, and I am a brand new cigar smoker. I quit cigarettes about a year ago, and recently started picking up single cigars from the drug store. Decided to pursue the hobby, and now I am in a bit of a bind.

I ordered around 50 cigars online, and a humidor. Well, I didn't do my proper research and now I am in the process of seasoning the humidor and I have 50 cigars showing up at my doorstep today (from CI.com). How can I temporarily store these until the humidor is ready to take the cigars? I am panicking a little bit, but have heard you can stick them in Tupperware containers or the freezer for awhile.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Default

Tupperware with a shot glass of distilled water would work fine for the week that your humidor is seasoning. I've heard of using orange peels etc, but really, you want something moist. I've used a shot glass of distilled water before and it worked fine.

Welcome to the board - both of you guys.

Opinions vary regarding freezing cigars. It is sometimes used to kill tobacco beetles and/or their eggs. I've never done it but hear that it is a controlled process that should be done correctly to avoid ruining the cigars.

Refrigerators are designed to dehydrate (except for the hydrator drawers - and you would have little, if any control over rh in these) and cigars should never be stored in one.

You could put 50 cigars in a tupperware container about the size to just accommodate that many and there would probably be enough humidity in that many together to be ok for a few days. You could also buy a Water Pillow for less than a buck and the cigars would be ok for a month or more. You should go ahead and get some because it could take longer than a week to get the humi ready and they are nice to have on hand anyway and can be found at your B&M or online.

I dunno about a shot glass - it might work ok, but I wouldn't risk over-humidifying or just flat knocking the glass over and soaking the bottom layer.

Orange peels? Nope. Flavor issues.

Again, welcome to you both, it would be cool if you could post an intro and tell us a little about yourselves, and remember: the search function is badass.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Welcome from Texas

If they're in a box or bundle, don't open them. Leave the factory cellophane on the box or bundle. Some, like Fuente, might even have a humi-pak inside the box from the factory. Then still put them in a container like basil said.

Thread Information