Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoors or Outdoors?

Default Indoors or Outdoors?

Hello all.....
    For me, smoking indoors is unmatched: no wind, smoke hangs in the air, quiet, no interruptions, etc. I find smoking outdoors to be unenjoyable, always get an uneven burn from the wind, smoke seems to disappear as soon as I blow it out of my mouth, etc.
    Unfortunately smoking in my apartment is not permited, and in my busy day to day life it's very difficult to find the time to go to a lounge.

Here's the question I ask you fellow cigar smokers: setting aside golf, dog walking, and yardwork....when you sit down for a nice relaxing smoke, do you prefer indoors or outdoors? Am I the only one who doesn't find outdoor smoking enjoyable?

Cheers-
    Locke

Blog Entries

I really enjoy sitting outside with a nice cigar, at least this time of year. In another month, it will become really humid and hot, so I'll be inside where I keep the temps close to 70*.

My answer is: I PREFER Outside, But I'll smoke in the house, if it's windy, or raining.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I can't smoke inside. so i usually smoke outside by the firepit at night, at the renfaire, or at Enhaf backyard. the only times i smoked inside is at herfs.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Since the weather is warming up I've been sitting outside. I enjoy smoking a cigar outside ... but I don't enjoy the cigar as much outside. Like Locke said, as soon as I open my mouth the smoke is pulled out. I just don't get as much aroma and flavor as I do when I sit inside. But I enjoy the experience of being outside with one.

I too prefer smoking inside, but with the province wide smoking ban and a 7 month old at home it's either outside or in the garage for me.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Unless I'm at the B&M or someone's house I usually smoke outside. I don't mind either way as long as I have a cigar.

Blog Entries

I love sitting on the front porch watching the day go by with a nice cigar. The weather doesn't always cooperate, as it's hard to stop from thinking about your fingers freezing when it gets really cold out. Still, I love how when smoking outside, you seem to only have a passing aroma of a cigar on you, instead of inside, where it's a bit overpowering, then everything you have on smells like cigars. Not that that is always a bad thing.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I usually smoke inside, but will smoke outside too, if that's where I happen to be. For instance, I like to have a cheap smoke when fishing or playing horseshoes. I usually also have a cigar after cleaning whatever critter(s) I got after a day of hunting. Lately, as the weather has gotten nicer I have been taking my lunchbreak in the park with a cigar and sometimes my guitar.

Today after work I grilled up some cheeseburgers, fed the family, and then sat in a lawn chair and watched the sun set and the kids play in the yard while smoking a cigar.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 05-06-2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Given that space is at a premium in Los Angeles, I do most of my smoking indoors. There are some benefits to smoking inside.....watching tv/movie or surfing the web. Also, smoking at a lounge is always a good time.....I have a soft spot in my heart for relaxing on a nice leather couch and being surrounded by flat screen tv's while having a fine smoke.

On the other hand, smoking outdoors can be nice too...especially if the weather's nice and if you have a decent place to smoke. I don't know if this would count as "outside" but I love having a smoke while driving.

Needless to say, I'm fine with smoking indoors or out as long as it's comfortable.

I prefer to smoke indoors, but that's almost impossible now that we have the smoking ban and the wife is not too fond of the smoke.

Blog Entries

If I could, I would smoke in the house.......but my wife doesn't want me to so I don't. I smoke outside on the deck on in MY garage where I rule.

I agree that wind while smoking makes it less enjoyable.....but, I live in Kansas, so there is always some wind. I've learned to live with it and have a spot on the patio that is mainly sheltered from the prevailing wind.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    If I could, I would smoke in the house.......but my wife doesn't want me to so I don't. I smoke outside on the deck on in MY garage where I rule.

I agree that wind while smoking makes it less enjoyable.....but, I live in Kansas, so there is always some wind. I've learned to live with it and have a spot on the patio that is mainly sheltered from the prevailing wind.
    I do prefer smoking outdoors. The second-hand smoke that lingers in a room is too hard on my sinuses. Although not like Kansas, we too have some wind. I go in my workshop to toast and light and then out to the deck.
    I'm working on a prototype for an electric lighter that won't be affected at all by the wind. It will toast and light without touching the cigar. When I say electric I mean it actually plugs into an outlet. I'll post some pics as soon as I can get an image page published to my website.

In the winter I smoke in the basement due to the whether and in the summer I smoke outside. Honestly I prefer to be out side smoking in the nice fresh air. But at the same time I do enjoy a nice smoke inside every so often.
    Yay! Cigars!

Outside. The only place inside I smoke is at our B&M, which is also a wine bar and I can't stand bars. I do go in once in a blue moon in the afternoon when no one else is there and read and smoke a cigar.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Outside. The only place inside I smoke is at our B&M ...
    Dittio. The shorter half does not like me smoking inside, and honsetly, i dont want our apt to smell like my cigar shop does. Although, at one point i did live in a apt which i would occasionally smoke in. The weird thing was that when ever i smoked one, the building fire alarm would always go off, weird. I wonder if they ever figured that one out?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Rhetorically I must ask if there is really a bad place to smoke a cigar?

For me it is all about my mood when I am ready to smoke.

In the morning while reading e-mails it is on the lanai by the pool, it is the only place for my morning smoke. In the afternoon for the lunch time smoke it is at the local cigar club with some of the other afternoon regulars (lately these meetings have devolved into deep political discussions and my lunch hour lasts til 3 or 4). In the evening it all depends on what is going on. Usually back at home on the lanai watching the White Sox.

What can I say I enjoy them inside and out (unless too windy) then I agree with the rest of you, it just is not worth it.

I'm a smoke anywhere kinda guy.

I was wondering if anyone here has used a window fan as an exhaust? I tend to smoke in my study, which is at the base of the stairs that lead upstairs -- which tends to irk the wife (especially during the winter) and will not be acceptable when our little one comes home.

I may pick one up and see how it works -- it is certain to ruin to the aesthetics of the room, but if it is effective in eliminating smoke seepage to other rooms, it may be worth it.

It is 10 under zero here in Trento, so no way I'll go outside to smoke

I smoke mostly at work, in my office. I like opening the windows when outside temperature allows, tough.

Del Rio, TX. Middle of nowhere. From Phoenix, AZ.

Outside for sure with some friends and a tasty beverage...

If the weather is perfect, like it was today in Pueblo, then you can't beat it. I sit inside enough at work.

Blog Entries

I prefer inside to smoke. However, in the nicer weather, we sit outside on the porch, as the group usually prefers that.
    In the winter, like tonight, my wife and I sit in front of the coal stove in the basement, and puff away with no fans.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information