Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New/Recommendations

Default New/Recommendations

Hi all,

I'm 24, from Ireland and actually I have never smoked a cigar before, or a cigarette for that matter, but I would love to try a cigar sometime.

I was wondering if anone could suggest a good cigar to start with, that would be easy for a complete beginner like me to smoke? If it helps I tend to prefer mild and sweet as opposed to strong and bitter when it comes to food and drinks so I imagine the same might hold true for a cigar.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board from Kansas, U.S.A. What attracted you to cigar smoking?

Blog Entries

Check out your local listings for a tobacconist. Usually referred to as B&M's (brick and mortars) here in the forums, visiting them one day on a whim introduced me into the world of cigars. He provided me with information, provided suggestions for cigars based on my beer preferences (color, strength), and overall, didn't pressure me into purchasing something expensive. Instead, he encouraged quite the opposite, having me try cheaper smokes first. As my tastes became more refined, I tried better sticks, but I feel I had at least a little bit of education behind my purchases and cigar selections. Just an idea.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome from the US of A, specifically Virginia.

Really mild smokes to consider and the price are pretty decent:

5 Vegas Gold
    Perdomo Reserve Champagne

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    Welcome from the US of A, specifically Virginia.

Really mild smokes to consider and the price are pretty decent:

5 Vegas Gold
    Perdomo Reserve Champagne

Andrew

Amen to Reserve Champagne, I wish they were around when I started smoking....

Another interesting try for someone new would be the Cuvee Blanc by Cusano

Welcome from Cali.

They might be a little strong for a first smoke but I always recommend the Hoyo De Monterey Excalibur line......Conn or Maduro wrapper (Maduro being a little sweeter). This was the first cigar that I truly learned to enjoy. It's more medium in strength but I guess strength is all relative to the individual. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I must check out my nearest B&M.

I guess what attracts me to cigar smoking, beyond reading how much some of you guys enjoy it, is the smell. I can't stand the smell of cigarettes but I've always loved the smell of cigars, I think they have a wonderful smell and that makes me want to try one myself.

Welcome from Canada.

I started out the same as you. I love the smell of cigars and pipes. And now here I am, sharing my interest with this great community. Browse around, you'll learn a wealth of information.

Welcome from the Land of Lincoln. My first smoke was the El Diablo (not made now)

I'd suggest an
    Arturo Fuente 858
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Well I finally got aound to visiting my local B&M today and they recommended I try a Macanudo Petit Corona. How does that sound as a first cigar based on what I'm looking for? I won't get a chance to smoke it until Monday, but I'm looking forward to it already. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dryad View Post
    Well I finally got aound to visiting my local B&M today and they recommended I try a Macanudo Petit Corona. How does that sound as a first cigar based on what I'm looking for? I won't get a chance to smoke it until Monday, but I'm looking forward to it already. Wish me luck!
    Slow down, slow down! No need to rush into everything!

Blog Entries

You won't have a problem with the Mac' being too strong, they tend to be somewhat lacking in the flavor department though.

Don't be too afraid of the stronger cigars, just try to eat a good meal beforehand, and have a sweet beverage while you smoke, it will help counteract any nicotine effects. I like to smoke the full flavored cigars in the evening, after dinner.

Suggestions:

Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente sungrown. Outstanding cigar for it's price, loaded with flavor.

Carlos Torano Exodus 1959, Medium bodied with great flavor

Oliva Serie V, a little stronger, but an outstanding smoke

Oh Yeah... Good Luck. let us know your experience!

Dennis~
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

The Macs get a bad rap here. They aren't my favorite cigars, but my wife enjoys the Vintage 2000 line. Macanudo is one of the biggest cigar makers out there. I equate it to Budweiser beer. Sure, Budweiser is drinkable, but once your palate becomes more refined, you discover better beers.

Let us know how it works out! I also second the Fuente Sun Growns. Very tasty, very affordable.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

14. Default

Rocky Patel Connecticut Toro

Mild, tasty, inexpensive.
    Three small whiskies had gone to his head and Gallaher's strong cigar had confused his mind, for he was a delicate and abstinent person. (--from the short story 'A Little Cloud' by James Joyce)

Welcome from Ohio. I would go with the Oliva Serie G camaroon. I had one a while back and it was instantly a favorite. The are medium bodied, and to me the taste like a cigar should taste. I don't know really how to explain, but if i were to imagine smoking a cigar, this is the one it would taste like.
    Last edited by here'sjohnny; 07-02-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    Mark 8:36

so did you try any cigars yet?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

No I decided to leave the Macanudo in the end, too many comments about how bland it was floating about so I think it was the rigt choice. I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of any of the cigars you guys recommended in this thread instead. Yeah, I'm in no rush

One thing I'm kinda worried about though is lighting the cigar, I've heard it's very easy to ruin it if you do it wrong. Anyone got any tips on that, I'd hate to make a mess of it and destroy a good cigar.

i'm new to cigars but here's my advice on lighting. I use a torch but i guess it goes with any method.

1. GO SLOW. if you go too fast you'll burn it and make the first while very very bitter.

I start by preheating the foot of the cigar to get it ready. then after it is properly preheated i go in circles around the foot. just take your time with it. after that for the most part you should be good, after a couple draws look at the foot again and see if the stick needs to be touched up (if its not burning evenly).

Don't worry too much about lighting the cigar - as debo said, go slowly. Toast the foot of the cigar evenly before you light then be sure the edge is lit all around before you actually light the cigar.

Be more concerned about cutting the cap. Most new guys just pick a spot and cut away. If you cut too much off the cigar will unravel. Look for the first seam in the cap (closest to the tip) and just take enough off to remove the cap.

There are some good threads in this forum about cutting the cap and lighting the cigar. Don't be afraid to ask the guys at the B&M for tips on cutting and lighting.

Welcome.

Hola.

I would recomend you to try a Cuban Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme (Hermosos nš4 vitola).

Regards,

Ricardo.

Thread Information