Thread: V-Cutter

Default V-Cutter

Anyone else using a v-cutter? I got this cheapo together with a cheapo sampler and was pleasantly surprised at the results. I had used one before without much success.
    I've used this one on everything as small as 43 up to 62 and the draw was very good. Actaully I think the draw is sometimes better than a straight cut and never any unraveling.
    Of course you still need a guillotine for belicoso/torpedo style sticks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CU-FIR-VPOWER-200.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	825  

Hmmm, I may have to try that out. Is that from Famous?, my computer and the glare from the sun giving me issues. I tried a cheap v-cutter (and I mean cheap) with very bad results. But I think a v cut would be cool. Just another toy......
    Believe Dat!

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Hmmm, I may have to try that out. Is that from Famous?, my computer and the glare from the sun giving me issues. I tried a cheap v-cutter (and I mean cheap) with very bad results. But I think a v cut would be cool. Just another toy......
    I guess it's a matter of preference but I have the v-cutter and a Xikar laying next to each other and always find myself using the v-cutter these days. Sometimes the straight cut just doesn't open up the end without clipping too much of the cap. The v-cutter notches about 1/8" deep and always draws good.

Yes it's the one from Famous. They're not as plentiful as guillotines and some get pretty pricey. So I thought I would try a cheapo first.

One thing I learned is that you have to hold the cigar tight aginst the cutter or it will push away and not cut deep enough.

For the Newbies here are the 3 basic cuts (crude cuts but you get the picture):
    V-cut, Guillotine or Scissor-cut, and Punch-cut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qualitycutters-header.gif 
Views:	274 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	826  
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 05-13-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: add-on

Blog Entries

I use the table top v-cutter at the b/m, but haven't purchased one for myself yet. Have you had any issues with tar build up on the edges of the cut? I have had that issue with the v-cut and the punch cut in the past.....though I'll have to say its more prevalent with the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I use the table top v-cutter at the b/m, but haven't purchased one for myself yet. Have you had any issues with tar build up on the edges of the cut? I have had that issue with the v-cut and the punch cut in the past.....though I'll have to say its more prevalent with the punch.
    Tar builds up or condenses on the edges of the "V". I have not found this to be problem. I guess if you would put your tongue against it then you might taste it. I read a snippit that said this was a good thing, I guess collecting the tar before it enters your mouth. But hey, I get plenty tar in my mouth anyway, a little more wouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Tar builds up or condenses on the edges of the "V". I have not found this to be problem. I guess if you would put your tongue against it then you might taste it. I read a snippit that said this was a good thing, I guess collecting the tar before it enters your mouth. But hey, I get plenty tar in my mouth anyway, a little more wouldn't matter.
    i also read that they came up with the v cut to cut down on the tar build up which can cause mouth cancer. the punch is supposedly the worst cut for tar build up coming in contact with your mouth. just a little fun fact.

7. Default

I find myself almost always grabbing the V when smoking a larger ring torpedo cigar. Anything else I will use the Xikar. Once in a while I try the V on something diffrent but dont favor it.

I love the V-cut. Usually gives me the perfect draw.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Default V-Cuttin' now

I switched to primarily using a v-cutter about a year ago. The first one I had didn't work all that well and then I lost it. Undetered I thought I'd try it one more time. I found one that was reasonably priced that it turned out I'm happy with. It's made by Wolf/Solingen - Germany. It handles up to a 52 ring gauge well. I've actually done a 54 with it but you have to be careful as not to damage the cigar when pressing it into the notch for the blade's path. I've also noticed I get a better draw if I cut the wedge, first in one direction and then the other. O.K., there's my 2 cents worth...just thought I'd throw it out there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gbwyaat View Post
    I switched to primarily using a v-cutter about a year ago. The first one I had didn't work all that well and then I lost it. Undetered I thought I'd try it one more time. I found one that was reasonably priced that it turned out I'm happy with. It's made by Wolf/Solingen - Germany. It handles up to a 52 ring gauge well. I've actually done a 54 with it but you have to be careful as not to damage the cigar when pressing it into the notch for the blade's path. I've also noticed I get a better draw if I cut the wedge, first in one direction and then the other. O.K., there's my 2 cents worth...just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Welcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by gbwyaat View Post
    Welcome,

I sometimes use your little trick and turn the cigar around and cut it again, but normally just holding it tightly against the cutter so that it doesn't push works for me.

Lately I've just been using my fingernail or a knife. I actually like that better than with the xikar.

Thread Information