Thread: non-Cuban vs Cuban prices

Default non-Cuban vs Cuban prices

If this is inappropriate feel free to delete this thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question.

Why are Cuban cigars so much more expensive than non-Cuban cigars? For example, a box of R&J churchill sized Cuban cigars will be hundreds of US dollars, no? (I'm talking about buying them in countries where it's legal to possess them, NOT black market US or buying them outside the US with the intent to bring them into the US). However a similar box of non-Cubans can sometimes be LESS than 100 USD. I've enjoyed both Cuban cigars (NOT in US) and non-Cubans, and cannot say one is better than the other. Any reasons as to the big price difference?

I find Cuban cigar prices to be pretty reasonable.

Keep in mind it's illegal for a US citizen to smoke cuban cigars ANYWHERE in the world, not just in the US.

Blog Entries

I imagine it's just like anything else, Cuba has it's "super-Premium" cigars, and their everyday cigars. Just like Non-Cuban. for instance, a box of AF Anejo 48's is going to cost you hundreds of dollars.

It may have something to do with supply / demand also, since there are literally hundreds of non cuban brands being distributed worldwide, while there are only about 30 cuban brands that I know of.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Anejos actually have very low MSRP's, just can't find them at MSRP.

Anyway, as Chris noted, all US citizens are prohibited (w/o govt. approval) from purchasing and consuming Cuban goods anywhere in the world.

That being said, Cuban prices can be very high in different parts of the world because of the local VAT/Tax. In Canada, all cigars, Cuban or not are very, very expensive because of VAT. Same with Australia. I know in Hong Kong the VAT can be very bad too.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    Anejos actually have very low MSRP's, just can't find them at MSRP.

It was the first thing that came to mind, because I'm smoking an Anejo 48 OR right now

MSRP $218.75 / box of 25... if you find THAT deal, I'll take three
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

How many "hundreds" you talking about?

Depending on where you live and taxation, etc, yes, very expensive. Here in Canada, probably $800 a box as a guess.

However, where I'll be in 2 days time, they're reasonably priced!!!!!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Blog Entries

The distribution of cuban cigars is tightly controlled by their gov't isn't it? Are prices set by them as well?

Just like any other retailers, there will be some that will jack up the prices on cigars. Cuban prices are so high, because people that buy them are tourist that don't care about the price or the cigar itself, just the asthetics of smoking one.

I for one enjoy smoking cigars. "IF" I were to go on vacation and see these stores, I myself would still shop around. There are a handful of retailers that will sell "these" cigars at retail. Same for local B&M. To each his own. The cheapest I can pay for an Anejo #46 is like $15. So, when I was able to get a box for $250, that was a steal for me.

Smoke what you like. Rarity adds a premium to everything. I have yet to find a retailer sell Opus X at retail. If I do, they are normally sold out within 5 minutes of shipment coming in, and that's the high end of my guesstimate.

Andrew

I took a cruise down to Cozumel Mexico and i found the cuban prices there to be very reasonable... hahaha

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    The distribution of cuban cigars is tightly controlled by their gov't isn't it? Are prices set by them as well?
    If Habanos S. A. IS in fact an arm of the Gov't, then yes. Habanos S. A. controls everything.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    Just like any other retailers, there will be some that will jack up the prices on cigars. Cuban prices are so high, because people that buy them are tourist that don't care about the price or the cigar itself, just the asthetics of smoking one.

I for one enjoy smoking cigars. "IF" I were to go on vacation and see these stores, I myself would still shop around. There are a handful of retailers that will sell "these" cigars at retail. Same for local B&M. To each his own. The cheapest I can pay for an Anejo #46 is like $15. So, when I was able to get a box for $250, that was a steal for me.

Smoke what you like. Rarity adds a premium to everything. I have yet to find a retailer sell Opus X at retail. If I do, they are normally sold out within 5 minutes of shipment coming in, and that's the high end of my guesstimate.

Andrew
    Drappers in DC.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Alright, well I appreciate all of the replies! Now I have a bit of an idea why the prices are what they are.
    I understand I'm walking on thin ice with this thread...but perhaps this next question of mine will tone it down a bit, and if it's been discussed I apologize. If the trade embargo was lifted, do you believe the prices on Cuban cigars would change? Would the "forbidden fruit" factor disolve in the US and everyone would treat them the same as exciles?

Blog Entries

Thread Information