Thread: mild/medium/full

Default mild/medium/full

I'm sure this is a newb-type question, but I did a search & didn't find much...

I'm kind of anal about organization; I've got a spreadsheet that lists everything in my humi - an inventory list that includes what used to be there. I'm keeping notes about each stick I smoke on another tab of the sheet. One of the columns I filled in was a mild/medium/full rating for each stick (based mostly on what cigarsinternational has listed on their product pages).

I smoked a 5 vegas gold (mild) the night before last, and a 5 vegas series a (full) lastnight - both churchill sized. Now maybe I'm too green to notice these differences, but these were VERY similar to me... The smoke from the supposed full stick stung my eyes when the wind would blow & there was more to this stick than the gold (I remember thinking as I was smoking that the gold was kind of bland), but I don't know what made this a full-bodied smoke vs the mild stick.

The fuller bodied stick also gave me a buzz - I can't say for sure if the mild stick did or did not as I was drinking a bit of crown with it. I enjoyed the 5 Vegas Series A (apostle) more than I did the Gold.

I'm trying not to get into my single-sticks (from samplers) until I've got a few others under my belt. I've got 10 each of the 5 vegas gold, classic, and series a... I've also got multiples of a few others (cohiba & astral robusto), so they're 'practice' (I can go back and resmoke these later).

What makes a cigar mild vs medium vs full? I wouldn't say the flavor was that much different between the mild & full I smoked, so is it the 'kick'?

I'm smoking a brisket today (bbq), so I'll have a smoke or two while I'm tending to the fire .

Well I smoked a Cohibo Robusto Fino while tending the fire & can say that it's definately not the same as a 5 vegas ... I liked it better than the 5 vegas, but it was a bit small & a quicker (45 minutes) smoke. I think I like the larger/longer lasting smokes better.

I'm still waiting to eat my brisket - it's just now ready at 11:00pm here . Into the fridge it goes to be reheated tomorrow night - tended the fire all day long just to eat fast food for dinner. Oh well, dinner tomorrow will be great.

Default FAQ's

This is one of the most informative sites I have found. Your question is addressed in the PDF FAQ's 2.7. http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/

For me the Perdomo Cuban Parejo Epicure Rosado is the "strongest" cigar I have smoked although it is not the most full bodied. I think this is due in part because of the size. I get a nicotine overdose if I smoke the entire cigar, even though it still does not taste too strong.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 05-27-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Great link DW. I'll bookmark that one & read more of it after work.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rball5 View Post
    Great link DW. I'll bookmark that one & read more of it after work.

Thanks!
    Try a Don Kiki Green Label (mild) , Red Label (med) and Brown Label (full) and you'll see a distinct difference between em. As a matter of fact, PM me your addy and I'll send you one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    Try a Don Kiki Green Label (mild) , Red Label (med) and Brown Label (full) and you'll see a distinct difference between em. As a matter of fact, PM me your addy and I'll send you one of each.
    AWESOME! Thanks for the offer, PM on its way.
    Robert

My Don Kiki's arrived today from ReV - along with something extra!
    They'll be the next three I smoke after they've had some time to cool off in the humi.

I may be on my way to a coolerdor... My humidor is full to the brim (it's had more additions recently) and more are on the way .
    I've fallen victim to cbid (damn that's addictive) a couple more times. I'll have to get creative to fit about 15 more sticks in there. Currently the humi is over capacity by a few sticks, though I can't say I'm upset about that.

rball5 may I make a suggestion? Get you a coolerdor set up for your smokes for sure. But the next time buying or recieving a humidor comes up, go for one twice the size you think you will need. I have nine humidors ranging in size from 3 cubic feet to a 20 count desk top, and I am thinking about building another cabinet size. If you get the cigar habit as bad as some of us you will need plenty of room to grow.
    Gene

Blog Entries

...or start smoking more!

But that really doesn't help,

I smoke at least two cigars a day, and somehow my collection keeps GROWING

Strange phenomena? OCD? whatever, I DO know there is no cure that I'm aware of!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I went for one I thought was HUGE for my first (100 capacity). Not so huge now.

If I get the big 160qt cooler, my wife's gonna start asking questions.
    I'm thinking about a wine-cooler for my next one. That should give me plenty of room (yeah, right) to grow & keep my AC bill from killing me.

Smoking more is an option for now - I also have a bid in for a 20ct humi at cbid, hopefully I can pick one up on the cheap to catch my overflow until I decide what I really want.

Just to update, ReV's suggestion for the Don Kiki's was excellent. I'm in the middle of the brown label stick & it's kicking my ass.

This really illustrated the mild/medium/full differences.

Now I've just gotta smoke 10 more to make room for the ones that'll ship out tomorrow. Damn cbid for their reduced rate shipping on multiple items! I couldn't buy an ashtray & not throw in some stuff to go with it.

Thanks again Tim, I'll get ya back once I've bought something worthy of sending your way!

I would reccomend you try La Auroa 1495 Connoissers Selection. In this are 4 robusto cigars .... all the same blend , but each with a different wrapper. * Conneticut * Cameroon * Brazil and * Corojo. You will really be able to sample light thru full. The original 1495 is Equador Sumatra wrapper.

I'll put those on the list to buy - as soon as I have room for them .

Thanks

Thread Information