Thread: General Humidor Questions?? Need some answers

Question General Humidor Questions?? Need some answers

Hello Everyone,

I recently got a new humidor and am currently in the process of seasoning it as the instructions directed with distilled water and all that. My humidor will soon be ready for cigars and I had a few curious questions to make sure my cigars are in the best condition.

1) When buying cigars in plastic wrapping, glass tubes, etc.., is it better to remove the cigars from these packagings before putting them into the humidor? or does it not matter?

2) Is it bad for the cigars/humidity/humidor to leave a cigar cutters or lighters in the humidor?

3) What is the average shelf life for a cigar outside a humidor vs. inside a humidor? and how long is too long to keep a cigar in a humidor without smoking it?

4) Also, when adding distilled water to the humidor you don't actually pour it in the humidif do you?

These are just a few concerns I had for my cigars and new humidor and any help or insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

CigarFrank

Quote Originally Posted by cigarfrank View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I recently got a new humidor and am currently in the process of seasoning it as the instructions directed with distilled water and all that. My humidor will soon be ready for cigars and I had a few curious questions to make sure my cigars are in the best condition.
    1) When buying cigars in plastic wrapping, glass tubes, etc.., is it better to remove the cigars from these packagings before putting them into the humidor? or does it not matter?
    2) Is it bad for the cigars/humidity/humidor to leave a cigar cutters or lighters in the humidor?
    3) What is the average shelf life for a cigar outside a humidor vs. inside a humidor? and how long is too long to keep a cigar in a humidor without smoking it?
    4) Also, when adding distilled water to the humidor you don't actually pour it in the humidif do you?
    These are just a few concerns I had for my cigars and new humidor and any help or insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    CigarFrank
    Hey sorry it took so long to reply. I'll try to answer some of your questions.
    1. I have some cigars in my humidor now that are in cellophane. It's ok. You can take them off,too. Generally for the more expensive cigars I take them out. I had just ordered about 50 maduritos and didn't bother taking them out of the cellophane. They've been resting in cellophane now over a year or two and are smoking great. A lot of high end cigars come in tubes. I'd leave them in the tube, it is good for long term aging. If you don't care for long term aging, it doesn't really matter. But anyway keeping them in the right humidity is the most important, and letting them stabilize in it. They will in cellophane or without.
    2. I would think it would rust faster.
    3. If I'm going to smoke a cigar that has been resting in my humidor I would not keep it out more than a few days. One time i went on vacation and my carrying case was overhumidified, I had to let the cigars dry out over the course of a few days. So a few days you will see the cigars dry up and lose humidity. Generally I don't keep them out of the humidor until they are lit..So long as the humidor is well maintained, you can store them in there years...which is ideal.
    4. No don't pour distilled water in your humidor! There is a thread about how to season your humidor, do a search for it it is a good guide. I took a sponge and wiped the interior down but with a high end humidor they say not to because the wood may warp with all that moisture. It didn't bother me being my humidor is inside my coolidor.

Blog Entries

Welcome from Kansas. The search tool can provide a lot of opinions and answers for you.... but as long as I'm posting, here is my take:

1. It doesn't matter...if it comes in cello I leave it on....if it comes naked it stays naked....aluminum tubes I crack open and put in the humi....glass tubes I leave sealed and put in the humi....same goes for the cooler, but I tend to put my nakeds in a baggie and the cello's in empty boxes or trays.

2. I don't keep my cutters or anything but cigars in my humidor or cooler.

3. I have no idea, I only take them out to smoke. I know of no limit to the length of time you can keep a cigar as long as its in the proper environment.

4. If you mean the humidifier....yes, you pour it in. Some use solutions.....some use beads.....use search for more.

BTW, nice to see you again Chet!!

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    4. If you mean the humidifier....yes, you pour it in. Some use solutions.....some use beads.....use search for more.

BTW, nice to see you again Chet!!
    Thanks, good catch.

Thread Information