Thread: Thank You For Smoking

Default Thank You For Smoking

Didn't see a post up for this movie so I figured I'd mention it......plus it's on the tube right now. All I've gotta say is that this is a pretty funny movie. But it's also pretty insightful. Now if only we can get a lobbyist like "Nick Naylor" to represent the cigar industry.

Thought the moview was great! Definatley an intersting point of view, and some awsome lines.
    If I can't smoke because smoking will kill me then life isn't worth living.

-Ian Fleming

great movie.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

loved this movie. i liked the part when he's explaining what he does to his son.

5. Default

One of my favorite semi-recent movies, for sure.

Blog Entries

Necro-bump .

Saw this one late last night. Not a great movie, but worth watching to the point that I'm posting about it .

I'd say that the movie has nothing to do with cigarettes. Big tobacco is just a plot device. The plot itself has some predictable parts, and is unevenly paced. Still, I've watched the movie multiple times.

The strong point of the movie is the dialogue. There are quite a few funny bits, e.g.:

BR (talking to the tobacco lobbyists in his employ): People, what is going on out there? I look down this table, all I see are white flags. Our numbers are down all across the board. Teen smoking, our bread and butter, is falling like a shit from heaven! We don't sell Tic Tacs for Christ's sake. We sell cigarettes. And they're cool and available and *addictive*. The job is almost done for us!
    Brad (live-in bf of Nick's ex-wife): Nick, your job and everything aside, I hope you understand that second hand smoke's a real killer.
    Nick Naylor (Joey's father, has weekend custody): What are you talking about?
    Brad: I just hope you're providing a smoke-free environment for Joey is all I'm saying.
    Nick Naylor: Brad, I'm his *father*. You're the guy fucking his mom.
    Brad: That was unnecessary.
    More quotes

The best dialogue is between the three "Merchants of Death" - a tobacco lobbyist, a liquor lobbyist, and a gun lobbyist. Catch snippets of the dialogue in the short vids at the movie's website.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Thread Information