Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Cigars

1. Default WTB: Cigars

I have smoked some cigars that have been offered to me before and I really enjoyed them but every time I pick some up for myself they taste like crap. I was hoping I could find a certain brand of cigars that are good but not obnoxiously expensive. I know cigar smoking can get quite expensive depending on what you smoke, but I'd like to smoke something that is mid-range price yet is great tasting.

I'm not looking for a box or a lot of cigars. If someone is willing to sell me (or donate ) 2+ cigars for $10-15 shipped, then please post or send me a PM. I'd like to enjoy a cigar every once in a while but my luck in choosing them is horrible, so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction with a brand(s) that will give me a starting location. I don't want to risk buying something online in larger quantities and then not being able to smoke them.

Any and all help is dearly appreciated.....

- Jens

Have you looked at cigars online? You can get singles at most online vendors and at usually pretty good prices. We can surely help you in selecting a few different things to try. Do you remember what the gift cigars were that you DID enjoy?

I can only tell you what I like, it may not be what you like since taste is very subjective.

My favorites so far are:

Fire by Indian Tabac- Double Corona
    Romeo Y Julietta Maduro- Toro
    JL Salazar-Toro
    Don Kiki brown label- Figurado
    Cohiba red dot- Toro (expensive)

I also like the Don Kiki Green labels as an inexpensive mild smoke.

I tend to like darker, richer cigars with a bit of sweetness. I despise harshness.

4. Default

They weren't given to me as gifts but they were offered to me a few times as a guest by the host. Can someone point me to some good and reliable online vendor that sells singles and a reasonable/inexpensive price?

Thanks again....

Jens

seriouscigars.com sells singles

One of things i have learned from being on a few BB's is that you cannot tell how a cigar is just by smoking one. You might need to smoke two or even three of the same cigar before you can decide if it is really good. www.cigarbid.com (aka "The Devil" ) and also www.cigarsinternational.com sells 5 packs.

Hoyo de Monterrey

was my first cigar...... ya might want to make sure you only smoke a Robusto size at first (5x50) less expensive and does not last over an hour.

BTW.... welcome to CSmokeers

Quote Originally Posted by gtxjet
    I have smoked some cigars that have been offered to me before and I really enjoyed them but every time I pick some up for myself they taste like crap. I was hoping I could find a certain brand of cigars that are good but not obnoxiously expensive. I know cigar smoking can get quite expensive depending on what you smoke, but I'd like to smoke something that is mid-range price yet is great tasting.

I'm not looking for a box or a lot of cigars. If someone is willing to sell me (or donate ) 2+ cigars for $10-15 shipped, then please post or send me a PM. I'd like to enjoy a cigar every once in a while but my luck in choosing them is horrible, so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction with a brand(s) that will give me a starting location. I don't want to risk buying something online in larger quantities and then not being able to smoke them.

Any and all help is dearly appreciated.....

- Jens
    Try CBid and get some 5'ers. I just created another victim of the Evil CBid. Hahahahahahaha.

Try:

Indian Tabac
    Torano
    CAO
    Bahia

All good cigars that won't break the bank.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

8. Default

I have a money order for $20 that I purchased yesterday morning to buy a computer case online but a friend of mine called and has one he picked up at a show that he doesn't need so he's willing to give it to me. Anyone want to hook me up with 5 or so good cigars before I go to get it cashed in?

Five good cigars shipped for $20 is a little much to ask.

www.esmokestack.com sells five packs of stuff for a good price.

www.jrcigars.com has a wide assortment of mainstream cigar 5 packs.

www.rockyscigars.com sells 10 packs for a good price.

Buying singles on-line doesn't seem worth it to me. You can buy them local for the same price and not pay shipping or worry about damage.

Also, I've found that many places use the "sampler" as an excuse to ditch unpopular cigars. You'll get a couple of good ones to sate you and the rest will be mediocre at best.

10. Default

How many can I get with $20? I guess I should just cash it in and look online....

I'd help you out bud, but I've got only a small collection and small humidor as I'm a recent enthusiast. You also have to watch out for underage folks trying to be sneaky. Seriously though, the brands I listed, and the sites, are good resources and good smokes. They're also reasonable. You can pick up a fiver of most of them for 10-20 bucks!

Here's the list of what I pay for fivers.

Don Kiki Brown- $10

Fire- $11

Salazar's- $13

Romeo Y Julietta's- $18 for a tin of five

Cohiba's- The full sized one's are expensive ($11 each), but you can get a tin of mini's for about $12

12. Default

Yeah I think I am going to go with one of the sites that have been listed here and am going to buy a few different types of singles to see which brands are appealing to me before I settle for a box. But in the mean time, will it be possible for someone here to give me a break down on the minimum "hardware" required in this "hobby" as a beginning "enthusiast"?

I really appreciate the feed back and please keep it coming. Suggesting brands and vendors at this point is what I need as well as advice for "noobs" in general. Also, how often do you guys smoke these things, I mean I've liked the cigars that I have been given in the past but I haven't had them in large quantities so what's the frequency of smoking these things? I am going to take a wild guess and assume that it would probably be unwise to chain smoke them like cigarettes.....

Thanks again for all the help,

Jens

The "hardware" you require is a ziplock bag with a humidification device in it(IE: sponge with distilled water). And as far as frequency is concerned I smoke about one a day. But it is personal preference really.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

I used a ziplock and a cigar cello wrapper cut off 2/3 of the way down, in which I put a bit of paper towel wetted with 50/50 humi solution.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 06-29-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Blog Entries

There's no need at all to cut the cellophane on the cigar down. I would not do that.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

16. Default

Ok I have decided to start off with some cigars that won't rob me of my life savings. Just a start but what do you guys think of Don Kiki Brown Label Churchill Cigars? I am about to order some so let me know if I should go through with it or not.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    There's no need at all to cut the cellophane on the cigar down. I would not do that.

I meant I just used an old empty cellophane cigar wrapper to hold the makeshift humidification devevice made of paper towel bits wetted with humi solution.

The Don Kiki browns are good economical full-flavor cigars. I found this last batch I ordered a little lacking in comparison to the first I bought. More harsh and less sweet and smooth. Consistency is a problem with any cigar unfortunately. So many factors come into play. If I had to recommend a single batch I know is good right now, get in on the Indian Tabac "Fire" cigars from Cigars International. They still have some left I think. If you've already ordered the Don Kiki's, I hope you like them. I have a box of the Fire's right now. I'll sell you one for exactly what I paid for it if you'd like.

19. Default

price check?

I'll interject here....

Unless you plan on smoking drug store cigars or factory seconds, etc. this can be a very expensive hobby.

Just thought I would throw that out there. $20 won't buy much in the way of fine cigars.....

Thread Information