Thread: Need a DE-humidifier!

Default Need a DE-humidifier!

My ambient temperature is about 80 degrees and my ambient humidity is about 74%. I had the 70% Humi-Gel in my humidor but I took it out, because it only made the humidity higher and not lower. I have no humidification device in my humidor at all. (I live in the Cayman Islands and have a good breeze and seldom use my AC)

I was thinking about getting a wine refrigerator and putting my humidor in there, (with the Humi-Gel back in the humidor), but was told it was a bad idea.

The max temp for most wine fridges is about 66 degrees, I have found.

My cigars are definitely being stored in conditions comparable to the ones in which they were rolled, but mine are warmer and more humid than recommended.

I've never had any problems storing my cigars this way, but I still worry, hence the purpose of this post.

I have a humidor at work, with (big-time air conditioning) and I keep it at 70 degrees and 70% humidity with your typical round sponge.

Any comments or suggestions?

Blog Entries

As for excess humidity, look at some "Humidity Beads" Here>> LINK

These not only provide humidity, they also absorb excess, maintaining a stable environment. use the "Calculator" found on the left-hand column to determine how much you need, then buy about 20% more.... More is always better!

I would also recommend lowering temperatures. 80* is way too warm, and you are in serious risk of a beetle outbreak. If you get a wine cooler, you can purchase an aftermarket temperature controller that will allow you to set temps at a broader range. Sensor goes inside, and fridge plugs into controller!

Dennis~
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

thanks
    I'm going to get the fridge.

I have the beads as well, and they usually keep things even. However, in the winter my house becomes *very* dry, so I have to add a bit of water to the beads. Then in the summer, because of temperature concerns, I have to move my humis to the basement. The basement is much more humid than the rest of the house.... so the beads are unable to reabsorb all the moisture.

So a little trick I do is to remove one of the cedar trays (and the moisute in it) from the humi, and take it out to my very dry garage. The next day I put the now-bone-dry cedar tray back in the humi, and it absorbs more moisture. That usually does the trick.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

That sounds like a very good idea, here it is very humid all the time. I have a dehumidifier in my storeroom and I have to empty the water tray every day. I think there is an unlimited amount of humidity here.
    I had no problems in my air conditioned apartment, but in my breezy house, it is too humid.

Thread Information