Thread: Northern Ireland

Question Northern Ireland

Do people outside of Ireland know much about the troubles in the north?

SFG75 Guest

Went to Ireland with the wife about six years ago. We stayed in Galway and took the trains to Dublin, Cork, and other areas. Never ventured northward, the wife wouldn't have it eventhough tensions were lessened at that time. Very complicated problem-the Brits kept the industrial piece of Ireland and allowed the rest to become the Republic. It's also a matter of fairness between loyalists and republicans for government jobs, education, and elected office where discrimination has been a problem for years. One thing I noticed over there, a lot of people don't discuss politics openly. The only time I saw that happen was when a drunk American was asking about the situation in a long train ride.

Most Americans know of a conflict there, but I'd venture to guess they know little about why there is a problem. Unless it's before our noses, it really doesn't register with most of us. The "Celtic Tiger" is a beautiful country, a lot of American retirees of Irish descent are heading back over there in droves. My parents contemplated it for awhile.

I live in the North and i am a strong republician. My whole family has a long line of of involvement in the cause.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IrishAces
    I live in the North and i am a strong republician. My whole family has a long line of of involvement in the cause.

The net is kind of weird. One time, I was in yahoo politics chat and I exchanged PM's with a British paratrooper who had arrested Gerry Adams's brother at one time in the mid-80's. I've assigned students research projects, and the Irish conflict is somewhat popular. The student who had it this year received information and e-mail from the #3 guy in Sinn Feinn.

Exclamation Sinn fein

My girlfriends father is the mayor of our local town and a sinn fein member. His father was a general in the IRA

Thread Information