Thread: Homebrew

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Homebrew

I believe I'm taking the plunge. I live in a state where you simply can't get some of the best beers. We have a 6% cap on beer, so that leaves a very weak and limited selection. There are different sites that will ship beer, but shipping prices are ridiculous. I also live in a state where homebrewing is illegal. shhh

So I know a few of you BOTL's are homebrewers as well and could probably use some of your advice.

First off, I'm a fan of high alcohol content stouts. Any stout for that matter. (Rogue Chocolate, Old Rasputin, Mackeson XXX,, Sam Smith Imperial Stout, etc.) I'm equally as big a fan of Belgium/Belguim Styles (Chimay, St. Bernardus , Ommegang) but from what I've read probably won't be trying those for quite some time.

I wouldn't mind kegging except for I don't have a separate fridge. I would not look forward to sanitizing all those bottles and the fridge I have now is PACKED with beer. So it looks as if I'm going to need another fridge regardless. Plus kegging is a lot more expensive.

Now, I'm just looking for the best places to purchase essentials (equipment, ingredients, etc.)

Any advice from you wiser than I?
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

i am in with chris here 3.2 beer if you dont go to the state liquor store witch colose at 7 here i dont get off til 8 or 9 any input would be cool

dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpollock View Post
    i am in with chris here 3.2 beer if you dont go to the state liquor store witch colose at 7 here i dont get off til 8 or 9 any input would be cool

dustin
    I would say 3.2 is a good limit for you.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I would say 3.2 is a good limit for you.
    we need you in the drunken review i know it would be awsome

dustin

less taste more filling
    Last edited by dustinpollock; 07-29-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add more

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

well good luck to both of you. I'll be expecting a bottle of both when its done.

seriously though, it seems like something interesting to do.

There is a whole host of internet homebrew stores:
    Northern Brewer
    Austin Homebrew Supply
    Homebrew Heaven
    High Gravity Brew
    Homebrewers Outpost
    just to name a few. Northern and Austin are the most commonly used and Homebrewers Outpost is out of AZ. I've been brewing for several years and have a great deal of recipes especially in extract with specialty grain. Many Imp Stouts and Belgians.
    Note: If you're going to brew big beers, you'll need to bottle. Big beers can age well and you don't want to tie up kegs for years.

Good luck
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

Thread Information