Thread: Otter Box Water Test

Default Otter Box Water Test

It passes with flying colors. I toobed the Guadalupe this weekend and brought mine along. Even kept my lighter dry. About 4 hours in I got dumped off of my toob, ended up upside down underwater, took a rock in the kidney, lost one of my shoes, the cigar I was smoking, a Bud Light, and my box. Once I re-collected myself my shoe and box miraculously floated past me. I opened it up and everything was dry as whistle. Got back on and lit up. This is one of those few products that actually does what it is supposed to. But damn my back still hurts.
    End of line.

Blog Entries

Damn.....hope the kidney recovers. Nice to know the otterbox worked as advertised anyway.....would've really sucked to take the rock in the kidney and lose your smokes.

Blog Entries

Yep!

Mine has survived a few mishaps, including having my ammo box with about 300 12 gauge shells dropped on it, thrown off a speeding 4 wheeler, and generally tossed about carelessly.

I do have an extra sheet of thin foam that i put in there with my smokes, since it seems only 50rg or larger actually stay put.

what count model did you test? I have 3 of the five count boxes, and I'm thinking of moving up to a 15 or bigger.

oh yeah... hope the kidneys feel better
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Yep!

Mine has survived a few mishaps, including having my ammo box with about 300 12 gauge shells dropped on it, thrown off a speeding 4 wheeler, and generally tossed about carelessly.

I do have an extra sheet of thin foam that i put in there with my smokes, since it seems only 50rg or larger actually stay put.

what count model did you test? I have 3 of the five count boxes, and I'm thinking of moving up to a 15 or bigger.

oh yeah... hope the kidneys feel better

I've got the 5-count version. Since I usually smoke around a 44 gauge, I have also noticed that when it is not full things will move around. I haven't found this to be a problem because everything is encased in foam. And since its air and water tight it does its job of keeping your sticks fresh if you've just pulled them out of your humidor.
    End of line.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
    It passes with flying colors. I toobed the Guadalupe this weekend and brought mine along. Even kept my lighter dry. About 4 hours in I got dumped off of my toob, ended up upside down underwater, took a rock in the kidney, lost one of my shoes, the cigar I was smoking, a Bud Light, and my box. Once I re-collected myself my shoe and box miraculously floated past me. I opened it up and everything was dry as whistle. Got back on and lit up. This is one of those few products that actually does what it is supposed to. But damn my back still hurts.
    Yeah, I've taken a few Deliverance trips myself down the Guadalupe. Once during a flood, some of my buds and I decided to gain instant fame by saving some toobers caught up in a tree out in the mddle of the river. We put in up-stream in a 12' raft with a 200' nylon rope. Our plan was to rowe out as far as possible and throw the line when we shot by them at around 20 knots. Well we found out why they were in the trees when we hit a large rapid that completely folded the raft. The top of my head slammed into Randy's face. His lips didn't prevent two teeth from penetrating my scalp. At the same instant we realized that we were now approaching the toobers. Randy grabed the coil of rope and with the accuracy of a true sailor tossed the rope out toward them. Everything was good except that several coils of rope were wrapped around Mark's ankle. We were screaming at the toobers in the tree, "let go of the rope, let go of the rope". Hell we had just thrown them the rope, why should they now let go? I guess finally when they saw Mark stretched between the raft and the rope they realized what had happened and untied it. We quickly floated out of sight, bewildered and pissed and bleeding, never to return to the cheering crowd that had gathered along the river bank. We like to toob the San Marcos river now days.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hyjack this thread with this lame story. Kind of off the subject eh? Accessories? we did have a rope.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 08-05-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Apology

I'd like to see a test done with the ph strips...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    I'd like to see a test done with the ph strips...
    Damn, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Wow Deedubya,

That's quite the story. . Well, at least y'all tried. BTW, I've got a 15ct Cigar Caddy and I'm pretty sure it's airtight due to the fact that everytime I fly, it takes some work to get the lid free.........think the same type of pressure as opening a fresh pickle jar. Good to know that it's tightly sealed........but pain in the ass to open.

Blog Entries

I think the newer 15 count and larger have a pressure relief valve

I love mine, I have a couple 5 count boxes!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Pressure relief valves? Genius. They must've had the same problems.

I have a Pelican camera case that I use for my telescope. It is of similar design to an otterbox and it also has a valve on it so it is easier to open after being pressurized.
    End of line.

Thread Information