Thread: Tampa Tabacaleras

Default Tampa Tabacaleras

I'm in Tampa visiting family and while I'm here I've been trying to take some time to search out some Tampa-made handrolls. I picked up three from the cigar shop at the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City (two different-sized figurados and a torpedo) on Tuesday, but I had to cut the excursion short (no worries, though; I'll be back in Ybor on Saturday).
    Yesterday my father and I stopped off at two small factories (known as chinchales) in West Tampa. The first-Rodriguez y Menendez is a modest-sized shop which sells national brands (Fuente, Camacho, RP, etc) in addition to their own brands rolled in-house. They have a wall full of their brands of which I bought seven. There was an older, 60-something, lady in the front of the shop rolling cigars but I didn't bother her (and I forgot my camera). I've not smoked any of the sticks yet, but if they are as pleasant as the owners, I'll be ordering more.
    Following that stop, we made our way to Gonzalez Habano Cigar Factory. A much smaller operation, they only sell cigars made in-house. The lady working there greeted us in Spanish so I made the effort to speak to her likewise. My Spanish is mediocre at best, but I managed to make it out with four short maduro torpedos, four natural panatelas, and a perfecto (which they call a "Short Story" although I don't think the Fuentes have anything to fear from this operation). She threw in the perfecto for free, which I think she did because I had come in asking for maduro panatelas and a figurado known as the "Lord Byron", neither of which were available.

All in all it was a good day. The only thing that could have made it better would be if my father smoked cigars as well. Other than a planned stop at Tampa Sweethearts, I'm focusing on locally produced handmades so I'll keep y'all updated as I find them. Meanwhile, if anyone here knows of any worth stopping for, please let me know.

Thanks for listening,
    TampaSupremo
    Last edited by TampaSupremo; 08-07-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    "Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"-H.P. Lovecraft

I personally like the Ybor Society sticks that you get at the Ybor Museum Gift Shop. They are rolled right there at the museum and the money for them helps support the museum.

Gene

We're going to Ybor tomorrow. If I get a chance I'll stop in. Unfortunately, I've just about blown my cigar money I set aside for the trip so we'll see what I can pull off. Thanks for the recommendation!

TampaSupremo
    "Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"-H.P. Lovecraft

Thread Information