Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do YOU want in a lighter?

No offense, but it'd be a COLD day in hell when I pay $250 for a lighter. I've been focked so many times with butanes that I have no expectations. I've gotten them from my kids, wife, amd brother. All have disappointed. Like Jamie, my pillar is the Bic. However, I have a Xikar dual flame that has outlasted them all (but the Bic). I'd swear that sucker produces thrust when it burns.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

I'm with ya Bruce - the torches are unreliable, expensive, require maintenance, etc. Give me a disposable.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

3. Default

I agree with all the complaints about torches, but I always smoke in the backyard where breezes make Djeep disposables (the best by far) and matches impractical. My B&M guy recommended a Lotus L21 double torch, and it works like a charm every time. Dependable and no maintenance required. Unlike those temperamental Colibris, you don't have to take an online course to learn how to use them effectively.
    Three small whiskies had gone to his head and Gallaher's strong cigar had confused his mind, for he was a delicate and abstinent person. (--from the short story 'A Little Cloud' by James Joyce)

The number one thing that I'm looking for in a lighter is reliability. I've had many a butane torch lighters that have crapped out on me. My lighters have primarily been Colibri and Xikar.

I do like the ergonomics/design of Xikar lighters..........on the Xikar Executive, the ignition is on the side which keeps your thumb from feeling the heat when lighting.

As far as price, I don't think I would pay more than $40 for a good lighter. Also, I prefer a torch lighter over a regular lighter.

Hope this helps. When you do create your lighter, feel free to send me one as a test product! Good luck.

i have a zippo, well 2 but i also have 2 jet flame lighters, i find the jet flame is good for lighting but i like to use my zippo for the look,

i would spend £20 on a zippo and about £10 on a jet lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by rakkisusanowa View Post
    i have a zippo, well 2 but i also have 2 jet flame lighters, i find the jet flame is good for lighting but i like to use my zippo for the look,

i would spend £20 on a zippo and about £10 on a jet lighter.

Are you saying a Zippo that uses Ronsonal lighter fluid?

Blog Entries

I have the ultra rare Colibri Quantum Jet that has been perfect since May '05! Every time it lites up perfectly and I've had not problems with this bad boy.

However, I had a firebird given to me and it died in 3 weeks. I just stick with old reliable.

Lopaka
    Last edited by Lopaka; 09-19-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Darn Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Are you saying a Zippo that uses Ronsonal lighter fluid?

yeh :S why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    I love my ST Dupont Extend. $250 canadian but kicks ass. By far the best lighter, and I swear by mine.
    I agree with ya 100%. Dupont Extend is the best lighter I've ever had. I worked great until I dropped it. Now you gotta jiggle it a little bit. I think $200 USD is outrageous as well. I just wish I could have warned my girlfriend before she spend that locally when she could have gotten it for $100-$125 online.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    However, I had a firebird given to me and it died in 3 weeks. I just stick with old reliable
    The only colibri I've ever had last was a cheap firebird. I also have a friend who swears by his.

These are my suggestions:

1. Price- around 20-30 bucks
    2. Easy of use- torch lighter that you don't have to flip a lid and has a fuel window
    3 Looks- Don't mind colors but I don't want an alein spaceship
    4. Longevity- Last for more than a year and ignites on the first try.

Thanks Rich

Thread Information