Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do YOU want in a lighter?

Default What do YOU want in a lighter?

First off, hello all! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post but i've been a creeper for a while.

Ok so here is the story. I am currently an intern for the government (DoD) and going to school (mechanical engineering) I have been looking to start my own business, specifically in cigar accesories. I am just doing some grassroots research and seeing what the cigar smokers would like in their lighter.

So:

How much are you willing to pay for a quality lighter?
    What features would you like to see in a lighter?
    What materials do you prefer?
    What shape/size/texture are appealing?

and also please feel free to leave any other comments about what you would like to see in a lighter.

P.S. I can't wait to start posting in the whole forum :)

Default Lighter

As far as lighters go I am not willing to pay a lot. I think that butane lighters are the way to go for quality but I am a fan of just striking two matches to light up. I know that in stores that I have been in the majority of lighters were either Zippo or butane torches.

Blog Entries

pretty much everything the blue rhino triple torch has. good ergonomics, adjustable flame, and a cigar punch on the bottom. My only qualm is the triple flame may be just a bit overkill.

welcome to the forum!

i would pay up to $50 for a real good lighter.
    butane, torch, reliable.
    i prefer bigger lighters that you can grip with your whole hand and don't have to claw with 3 fingers.
    a nice feature would be a fuel gage so i'll know when my lighter is about to need a refill instead of getting the pleasant surprise of a fluttering flame after i've settled down for a long smoke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bpad68 View Post
    First off, hello all! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post but i've been a creeper for a while.

Ok so here is the story. I am currently an intern for the government (DoD) and going to school (mechanical engineering) I have been looking to start my own business, specifically in cigar accesories. I am just doing some grassroots research and seeing what the cigar smokers would like in their lighter.

So:

and also please feel free to leave any other comments about what you would like to see in a lighter.

P.S. I can't wait to start posting in the whole forum :)
    Welcome.......I use a bic.

Blog Entries

I want a torch that fires EVERY TIME I pull the trigger!

I have a nice Colibri, I think I got a decent one, but I've heard horror stories. I'll never purchase another.
    I hear Blazer makes a great torch, and you can get one that's clear, (forget the model number), so you always know how much fuel you have.
    For the price, you can't beat Nibbo / US Tiger, I have the Gear, (triple-torch), and a Space 7, (dual torch). Both of these can be had for under 10 bucks on eBay, and they have performed flawlessly for me! You can fill them with crap ronson fuel, they make short work of lighting the largest cigars, and they always fire.

Oh Yeah.. Welcome from South Carolina
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Cigary Guest

I use a butane lighter most of the time but also like to use cedar strips when I have them available as this does keep the taste of the cigar as pure as you can get when being lit. The worse thing I can imagine is to foul the taste of something that you paid good money for only to use the wrong kind of lighter. There are alot of reasonably priced butane lighters on the market and depending on your wallet I'd just as soon keep it simple. Welcome to the boards.

Blog Entries

I prefer the match, but on larger ring gauges, I go through a lot of matches......

I also have a Nibo dual torch. It has a little window where I can see the level of the butane. It works very well, when it's warm. I don't plan on ever buying anything more expensive. But then again, i don't smoke as often as most of the people in this forum.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I prefer the match also when I'm out and about but I use this as my table-top lighter.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

I love my ST Dupont Extend. $250 canadian but kicks ass. By far the best lighter, and I swear by mine.

And welcome to the forum from Canada.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

-Definitely butane either a torch or soft flame. (though Ive never used a butane soft flame, but I want to) Possibly the option to chose btw the 2.
    -Good design thats different but classy but not too fancy. Feel comfortable while lighting.
    -Color options. I would like to be able to chose the colors of my lighter and even have it customized to my liking if possible.
    -Features - Lock switch to keep it lit so I dont have to hold it down.
    -Nice sized tank.

As far price, depends. If the design is good and has decent features, $80 or so and maybe $100 custom colors.

Actually I think it would be great to be able to custom design your own lighter. Colors, size, tank capacity, ignition system, and the like.
    Yay! Cigars!

Match, torch, camp fire doesn't really matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    I use a butane lighter most of the time but also like to use cedar strips when I have them available as this does keep the taste of the cigar as pure as you can get when being lit. The worse thing I can imagine is to foul the taste of something that you paid good money for only to use the wrong kind of lighter. There are alot of reasonably priced butane lighters on the market and depending on your wallet I'd just as soon keep it simple. Welcome to the boards.

Cigary the above post is consider acceptable. Now your other post on CigarPass & CigarSnobs just won't do. You sir have dug yourself a deep hole. The problem is I don't think you can get yourself out of it. Now before you go off and say they started it lets look at the numbers. Half a dozen proven BOTL's verse you. Plus everything in a few threads & chat Logs that you and others have posted. I read the threads and the chat logs and see who you have gone after and the hole just gets deeper. I would recommend going to CL but you have already been Banned from there. My best advice would be simple to go away. But you won't take that. I would then advise you to apologize to those you have offended. Most places you can't since you have been banned at them and once again I don't think you would do it. You can try to go on like nothing happen but that will not sit. The dogs are hungry here as they haven't had an asshat for good long while. So let the games begin.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    Match, torch, camp fire doesn't really matter to me.

Cigary the above post is consider acceptable. Now your other post on CigarPass & CigarSnobs just won't do. You sir have dug yourself a deep hole. The problem is I don't think you can get yourself out of it. Now before you go off and say they started it lets look at the numbers. Half a dozen proven BOTL's verse you. Plus everything in a few threads & chat Logs that you and others have posted. I read the threads and the chat logs and see who you have gone after and the hole just gets deeper. I would recommend going to CL but you have already been Banned from there. My best advice would be simple to go away. But you won't take that. I would then advise you to apologize to those you have offended. Most places you can't since you have been banned at them and once again I don't think you would do it. You can try to go on like nothing happen but that will not sit. The dogs are hungry here as they haven't had an asshat for good long while. So let the games begin.

DG
    Gonna have to disagree just a tad with ya on this DG,,,,,, NO post from this POS is acceptable until he apologizes for the shit he spewed in PM's and posts to more than one very respected BOTL. Doesn't make a good damn what board he posted it on.

He ain't got the sack to post in public regarding his transgressions,,,,,he'll just continue to ignore it and think he can post with immunity here,,,,,. Like you said, let the games begin.

Oh yeah, and for all the new members,,,,,there is plenty of reading to do about this. I would suggest you do the reading before you come to the conclusion that we are just being mean to this poor guy.

DG i sleep better at night just knowing you are here i dont know how you do but you seem to catch every POS within the frist 5 posts thanks man

dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

a 5 pack of mini bics for about $2.

Welcome from Central Ohio.

Often i light up with cedar from cigar boxes, the last longer than a match. i have a zippo also if i am not smoking at home, haven't noticed a taste on the cigars yet, but i am still a newb. if i were to buy a lighter i'd want one that lights every time, fuel gauge (great idea whoever posted that), actually windproof (not just claims to be), and durable as crap. I'd probably pay $25 or maybe 30.
    Mark 8:36

17. Default

Thank you very much for all of the great responses!

Right now I am currently sketching up some designs taking serious considerations from all that have responded to the thread. Again thank you. I will be posting the designs up in the next few days, so be looking for them!

P.S. Ironically, I prefer matches and cedar to lighters as well Then again, I do own a Calibri and it is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen.

$3 Ronson butane lighter from Walmart. Every bit as good as my Xikar. If I lose it no big deal. I don't think an expensive lighter makes a cigar taste any better.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Gonna have to disagree just a tad with ya on this DG,,,,,, NO post from this POS is acceptable until he apologizes for the shit he spewed in PM's and posts to more than one very respected BOTL. Doesn't make a good damn what board he posted it on.

He ain't got the sack to post in public regarding his transgressions,,,,,he'll just continue to ignore it and think he can post with immunity here,,,,,. Like you said, let the games begin.

Oh yeah, and for all the new members,,,,,there is plenty of reading to do about this. I would suggest you do the reading before you come to the conclusion that we are just being mean to this poor guy.
    We haven't had a chew toy in a while, looks like I have some reading to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bpad68 View Post

1) Top about 30 USD.
    2) Quality butane flame (torch or soft). Well prepared for maintenance and recharges.
    3) Metal.
    4) Pocket size. Ergonomic shape.

Comments: I tend to use matches or cedar sticks. The main problem I find in 'low cost' cigar lighters is, for unknown reasons, they stop to work at the third ou fourth recharge of butane.

Regards.

Thread Information