Thread: maduros

Default maduros

I am a complete newbie, and did a search on Cohiba Blacks. I have tried a few different maduros, but none seem to compare to the Cohiba Black. I have purchased four or five different sampler packs and maduros are my favorite and most enjoyable smoke. I will be trying a couple of suggested sticks from other post, but was hoping to get suggestions on a stick that most ressembles the Cohiba Black with an everyday smoke price tag.
    Thanks for any replies in Advance
    Cajunblaze

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board. I can't help you with smokes that are similar to Cohiba blacks, I don't smoke them, but if you search around on here you should be able to find plenty of suggestions for good maduros.

As a new smoker resist buying a bunch of cigars you like at this stage. Your tastes will change. Many new smokers seem to like the Cohiba Black or similar cigars. But they seem to outgrow them pretty quickly. For now enjoy them, but resist buying boxes of cigars that you may not enjoy in 4-6 months.

Keep trying different cigars. Don't limit yourself to maduros. Keep one or 2 CB's as a treat, but buy different sticks. Things you like today you will probably pass over in 6 months, and things you don't enjoy today may be your favorites down the road.

Enjoy the ride.

Thanks again for your very sound advice Shelby. I did go to the newbie thread as suggested, and am currently trying to contact the next EXPERT on duty.
    Thanks

PS I had a feeling that Cohiba Black was a newbie stick, almost didn't post out of embarrasment!!
    Last edited by CAJUNBLAZE; 08-06-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Welcome to the boards.

Watch out this slope is a slippery one.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNBLAZE View Post
    Thanks again for your very sound advice Shelby. I did go to the newbie thread as suggested, and am currently trying to contact the next EXPERT on duty.
    Thanks

PS I had a feeling that Cohiba Black was a newbie stick, almost didn't post out of embarrasment!!
    Ha - don't be embarrassed to ask questions... most of us who have been doing this a while are speaking from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    Ha - don't be embarrassed to ask questions... most of us who have been doing this a while are speaking from personal experience.
    haha, yeah, the first stick I asked about here was a Macanudo...

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Welcome to the board. I can't help you with smokes that are similar to Cohiba blacks, I don't smoke them, but if you search around on here you should be able to find plenty of suggestions for good maduros.
    This is good advice, jeez, some of the crap that I smoked.

Welcome from the UK!
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

As always, I'll recommend Padron..............especially the maduro. Good price..great taste...........but that's just me. Also, I started off enjoying Sancho Panza maduros.......pretty decent for the price point. Hope this helps. Good luck.

The CAO MX2 is my favorite maduro, its like a velvety creamy kind of smoke.
    Mark 8:36

Blog Entries

I am a newbie myself, so take my advice with that in mind.

I kind of compare the Cohiba Blacks (my frame of reference is the Supremo) with Partagas Blacks (easily half the price) or Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Dark Knights (probably 1/4 of the price). I think both are really good smokes, and stand up well to the Cohiba Blacks.

I'll also second the Padron 1000 series maduros, as well as Sancho Panza XF's.

I agree with Shelby07 - tastes change. Being so new to this, I have noticed this is a very short period of time. I don't know if its the weather or my taste changing, but right now I have been enjoying some less-fuller bodied cigars.

Have you tried sun-grown cigars? Not quite naturals, but not quite maduros, you might want to sample a few of those. Don Thomas makes a tasty sun-grown at an affordable daily smoke price. Others include Fuente's King B, Ashton's VSG line, and Cuesta Rey's sun-growns. Give them a shot. Not everyone is a fan, but it's worth exploring.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    As a new smoker resist buying a bunch of cigars you like at this stage. Your tastes will change. Many new smokers seem to like the Cohiba Black or similar cigars. But they seem to outgrow them pretty quickly. For now enjoy them, but resist buying boxes of cigars that you may not enjoy in 4-6 months.

Keep trying different cigars. Don't limit yourself to maduros. Keep one or 2 CB's as a treat, but buy different sticks. Things you like today you will probably pass over in 6 months, and things you don't enjoy today may be your favorites down the road.

Enjoy the ride.

That is so true! Welcome to the board
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Thread Information