Thread: Newbie checking in!

1. Default Newbie checking in!

Hey guys. I am 18 years old and my friend has got me into a hobby that is soon to dry up my fun time funds and you all know what I am talking about. Sadly, the friend of mine that got me into smoking stoagies moved and can't really help me on the knowledge front. I have smoked only a few cigars, maybe 4 or 5 and being the very uneducated stoagie lover I am I did not remember the names of what I have smoked. All I can remember is the first stoagie I had and it was a Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real no.2. I loved it, it was very smooth and I could catch hints of what tasted like chocolate and a very creamy taste. Sadly the last cigar I had was a bad choice of mine where I just picked something for the hell of it and it bit me in the ass. I chose to stay in the Romeo Y Julieta brand and got some type of Robusto. When I started smoking it, it was odd. I could not pick any flavors out of it other than what I can describe as... peppercorn. My tongue tingled and over all was just odd to me. Then with about 1/3 left of the cigar I started to get very light headed and horrible nausea. I am guessing I smoked something way to strong for me but now I am here to learn what the hell I am supposed to be doing.

So I am at square one. I don't know what I should be looking for so I am on the hunt for information on what humidors I should be looking at, what websites I should order cigars from or even what cigars I should try!

I tried getting some info out of my local smoke shop but the owner was very unpleasant to work with as he would not give me any real information on cigars other than pointing out that the most expensive stuff he had was a great place for me to start. Just wanted to say hello and ask any info is a great help and I am coming to learn that the search tool is my friend. I am on my way to the Newbie Sampler thread! Wish me luck Wait.... I should probably get a humidor before I go down that route. Any tips on what I should go for?

Thanks again,
    Brad
    Last edited by ltdrebin; 08-12-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Welcome from Cali. I have a feeling that the newbie sampler will be really helpful in exposing you to a bunch of different smokes. Some you might like and some you might not............but at least you'll know, right?

As far as a humidor, I'd wanna say that a 50count humidor might be a good start. But then again, it's real easy to get sucked into cigars so I'd recommend getting an ice chest and turning it into a "coolidor."........it can be as simple as buying some humidty beads and a hygrometer. Well, thats it from me but good luck to you.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board Brad. Glad you found the newbie sampler thread, starting off newb's with a wide selection of smokes (that are ready to smoke now) is exactly what it is intended to do. Make you desires clear to the person you're trading with and you won't be disappointed.

I would avoid going for a humidor right off the bat, and instead set up a small coolidor to start with. There is a sticky in the accessories forum on how to set one up. This can be done very inexpensively and give you enough time to figure out what you want in a humi and, more importantly, what you want to stock it up with.

Welcome from Central Texas

Welcome to the boards.

welcome from NJ.

Good luck with the newbie sampler thread. I got mine about 2 months ago and I have to say, I really liked it. the seasoned members here will not disappoint you, you just have to tell them what you're interested in.

As ashauler said, no need to get a humidor right now, i still use my tupperdor which was set up cheap and easily. coolers are just as easy to set up too.

Welcome from Central Ohio
    Mark 8:36

Welcome from MS.

Go grab a cooler, they should be on sale now.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Welcome from central oregon. Read. Search. This place is great. I also agree with the Newbie Sampler. Funky set me up great, and everyone else will treat you well also. Welcome again.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome from Tokyo Japan! Sorry I moved away Brad! Crap what a small frickin' world!!
    I'll be visiting over the holidays, we'll go smoke some stogies for sure.
    I PMed you some info so you can drop by my place and pick up my humidor I left there.
    Cheers,
    T

Welcome to the forum from AZ.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

12. Thumbs up

Hey all, another new guy here! I actually tried one of the Romeo y Julieta's last night. I don't know what it was, but the one I tried I didn't really care for. I don't think it was very fresh. I think the next step will be ordering some from the net. Good to be here though, and I look forward to finding out a lot more about the world of cigars!

welcome form utah to both of you

dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Thread Information