Thread: yup, 'nother new guy with some questions and greetings from the uk!

Talking yup, 'nother new guy with some questions and greetings from the uk!

first off like to introduce myself, just joined but have been doing a bit of lurking and research on here already, seems like a nice place!

so for the last few years ive had a very small collection of cigars (around half a dozen or so) that i would smoke very occasionally on special occasions or on holiday etc- by no means an experienced guy. but know a couple (literally two...) of smokes i like and come back to.

so also just found out that to keep cigars at there best i need some special equipment (previously thought they where ok in tubes...), so looking on building a tupperdor (i think). im just wondering where the best place to buy a hygrometer and some beads would be in the uk?
    also, anyone know of good sites to buy cigars from? as im currently just spending £5-15 on ones from the local, which is quite a lot of money for me.

prob gonna head over to the newbie sampler thread when i get set up annd see if anyone can help me out over here....

so yeah, thats me, thanks for any help and thoughts, all much appreciated!
    howdy doo from the wet 'n' windy (and did i mention wet?) UK!

regards,

soli

Blog Entries

Soli,

Welcome from central Oregon, USA. I can't really help you out with locating items to order online, although there are a few members from the UK and Europe on here that may have more information. I hope bumping this thread helps you out.

Welcome again.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Welcome from Kansas, U.S.A. We do have a sponsor in the newbie sampler III thread from the UK, so when you're ready shoot him a PM.

sounding good folks, thanks for the warm welcome!
    another Q- where do you folks get your distilled water from, or do you just make your own?
    think i may have posted two of these newbie threads by mistake (not getting the mod note- opps) so apologies if another one pops up!
    right, gonna hunt down that sponsor!

any thoughts on which of these might work best?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-25-CIGARS-C...6.c0.m14.l1318

and
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NICE-WOOD-CIGA...6.c0.m14.l1318

good eve chaps!

welcome from New Jersey

I actually picked my hygrometer up at walmart for like $7 bucks USD. the humidity is only off by 4%, whcihc is easily added to the hygrometer to find the true humidity.

The newbie sampler thread is a great thread, helped me out a lot when i just started(not that i'm experienced now)

Blog Entries

Soli,

I don't know if I would go with either. The first one looks like it might end up being a bit small. Regardless of how much you smoke, a 25 count humidor is probably going to be more for show. There is a sticky posted in the accessories forum; look there as to how to setup a coolerdor. Not only will you not be restricted by the number of cigars you can store, it will probably cost just as much (with a much greater capacity) as either one currently being sold on eBay.

The second one is undesirable because it stores the cigars vertically. There is a post somewhere in here talking about how structurally, that isn't a good way to store your smokes. I've never tried it, but being a newbie myself, I just figured they knew what they were talking about. My local b&m doesn't carry them either.

Welcome again.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome from Central Ohio. As well as the newbie thread, Famous-Smoke online has a five pack frenzy deal where it is something like buy 3 get 1 free, it might be a good place to pick up some smokes (never used it myself)
    Mark 8:36

Welcome from a fellow wet weather sufferer. Where abouts in the UK are you based?

Check out cgarsltd.co.uk for humidors, they have regular offers and sometimes do seconds, a search on google products also returns a few at a reasonable price. Thing is that if you are not looking for something to display a tupperdor or coolidor is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Distilled water can be got at Halfords or B&Q. B&Q or similar also sell hygrometers pretty cheap, but they are generally quite large.

Tupperware or similar can be got at most department stores.

There are plenty of beads available on ebay but I am pretty sure that I have some spare and could send you enough for a small container.

I use cigarone.com for most of my purchasing and they are a damn lot cheaper than buying in the UK.

TTFN

Stjohn
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

cheers for the replies folks!
    nice one

St John- prob gonna go for a humi starter pack with sampler cgrsltd.co.uk, thanks for the links
    (also- would you be interested in sorting me out with some sort of a sampler?)
    thinking that after i get started, i will also buy some extra beads a.d maybe another cheap hygrometer so that if necessary i can build a tupperdor. but thinking so far, that a small humi should be enough for my private collection (especially with the prices over here!)

so far i have tried and liked The R&J Short Churchill and the La Rica Robusto (as well as a few other R&J tubos) any recommendations on what my suit my young pallet?

regards,
    soli

Welcome from California.

welcome from NY.

a tip that was passed on to me here was if you're going to buy a humidor pick the size you want, then get one twice as big. the tend to fill up fast. with that said, i bought a 100 count humi and its pretty much full already(only been smoking since the beginning of july). i'm expecting my newbie sampler soon so i'm going to set up a tupperdor this weekend.

i probably should've done that in the first place, but i got really excited with all the research i did and from reading the threads here that i went a little crazy and bought a nice humi about 50 various sticks right away.

as far as distilled water goes, i just boiled some filtered tap water and that seems to work fine. but i'm very new here and don't know if thats best.

thats some pretty impressive going there logan!

just ordered some beads and a cheap hygrometer- so hopefully have a homemade set up sorted pretty soon

still probably going to go for a small humidor as well though, later on- which will hopefully limit my spending somewhat as i head off to uni/college!

probably going to buy off cgarsltd.co.uk (cheers for the link SJR- im in high wycombe atm, but soon to be colchester for uni, how bout you?)
    and get a sampler with the humidor.

any thoughts on these three? am probably going to go for the cherrywood one, just on price, and that it will prob be better than the jar.

http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/bargain-ch...ty-p-5501.html

and, slightly more money, is it worth it?
    http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/canterbury...ty-p-5471.html

and the cheapest- would keep on its side as mrtr33 suggests vertical is not the best for sticks
    http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/cgars-empt...st-p-2661.html

sorry for yet more Qs folks!

IMO - not the jar, unless it's just something to have around besides your real humidor. On the other two - I think they are over-priced. You might look here, or here.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

yeah, they do seem overpriced, shop around more. the 2 links from basil are good online stores. I bought mine from cheaphumidors.com which is basil's 2nd link. it was about half of the price of the ones you're looking at. not sure what the shipping rates are to uk. i paid 10 bucks for shipping.

sometimes it dont half do me nut in to be living in the uk

what?

Quote Originally Posted by Soli View Post
    sometimes it dont half do me nut in to be living in the uk
    ????????

Don't buy the jar no matter how tempting the price. I bought a nice one with a cedar lid and bottom, and it was never at a stable humidity no matter what i did. they are absolutely worthless based on my experience.
    Mark 8:36

Quote Originally Posted by here'sjohnny View Post
    ????????
    nut=head (don't ask me why...)

pretty much, after the shipping and poss import duties, it works out at about the same as just buying from over here, unless you go with bulk.
    same with most things, be it laptops, music, longboards, or tabaco etc!

which makes living in the uk infuriating sometimes as the prices in the US are so cheap! esp with the strong £

time for a holiday...

Thread Information