Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: logan37's reviews

Blog Entries

Nice review! Indeed one of those upper end sticks that lives up to its billing. Try the maduro if you haven't.

I have 2 Padron 64s in the humi. I guess that will be one of my smokes this weekend!

Thanks for all the good reviews.

Rich

Default The Edge by Rocky Patel

Torpedo (6x52)
    Wrapper: Maduro (I think it's Honduran?)
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: I don't know(I looked it up and it says "secret" on the RP website.)

Drink: Gin and Tonic with lime.

The construction was even throughout. The wrapper was very dark with a slight red tint. It was a little veiny but felt smooth.

Before lighting, the cigar smelled earthy and a little bit like cocoa. The pre-light draw was slightly resistant but nothing to worry about. After toasting the foot the sweet smell of cocoa came out. However, there was no cocoa in the taste of this creamy full bodied cigar. The cigar was so full of flavor that I could pinpoint exactly what I was tasting. It was spicy, it was sweet, it was robust. With all those flavors and the boldness of this cigar, it was surprisingly smooth. The finish had a little bite to it. Down the entire length of the cigar the flavors mingled at different levels. It was spicier at some points, then it became sweeter and then back to spicy. This was a very complex smoke. I'm going to have to try this one again in the future when my palate is more fine tuned. From the first puff down to the last, this cigar produce a generous amount of thick, bright white smoke that smelled much sweeter then the cigar actually tasted.

This stick burned very even and produced a darker grey ash.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Nice review! Indeed one of those upper end sticks that lives up to its billing. Try the maduro if you haven't.
    That's on my wish list...

have to get ready for a doctors appointment. I'll try and get some more reviews posted later today.

Default Man O' War

Torpedo (6x54)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua
    Drink: Magic Hat #9

Construction was excellent. The wrapper was very dark and a had a very nice sheen but did not feel oily at all. The scent unlit was woody and sweet. The cap cut cleanly and the draw was smooth.

The Man O' War produce a nice amount of velvety smoke that smelled like dark chocolate and nuts. The taste was a robust blend of sweet, spice and wood. The draw was cool for most of it; it warmed up a little towards the end(nothing a little rest won't fix). About half way down the wood taste lessened and a new taste of almonds came out. The spiciness became stronger as the cigar burned down and woody taste came back for the last 1/4 of the stick.

The ash burned straight, held firm and turned a dark grey with black stripes randomly popping out.

This is very good cigar. I enjoyed this stick down to the nub.
    Last edited by logan37; 10-16-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: left out a verb.

Default Natural by Drew Estate

just for the hell of it...

Dirt Torpedo(5X54)
    Wrapper: Nicaragua-Maduro
    Filler: A whole mess of god knows what.
    Binder: I think actual dirt.

Drink: Bleach

Blog Entries

LMBWAO

How far did you get into that Drew Estate?
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    LMBWAO

How far did you get into that Drew Estate?
    I lit it...

Blog Entries

Holy crap, that's 5 cigars in all from all of your reviews that I already wanted to try, so now I definitely am going to try them. Thanks for all the info! I have the Lot 23 and the Montecristo in the Humi right now, so I am even more excited to get them out and smoke them when they are ready. Thanks again and great reviews!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    just for the hell of it...

Dirt torpedo(5x54)
    wrapper: Nicaragua-maduro
    filler: A whole mess of god knows what.
    Binder: I think actual dirt.

Drink: Bleach

lmfao.

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    Holy crap, that's 5 cigars in all from all of your reviews that I already wanted to try, so now I definitely am going to try them. Thanks for all the info! I have the Lot 23 and the Montecristo in the Humi right now, so I am even more excited to get them out and smoke them when they are ready. Thanks again and great reviews!
    I hope the dirt torpedo isn't on your list. And if it's in your humi now...sorry.

Blog Entries

Nope, no dirt torpedo in there that I know of, but I do have a lot of cigars to smoke, so I might just find one yet.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    Nope, no dirt torpedo in there that I know of, but I do have a lot of cigars to smoke, so I might just find one yet.
    Get a priest if you find one.

Default Montecristo Club Cabinet #30

Robusto shape(5x50)
    Wrapper: USA/Connecticut
    Filler: Dominican Republic/Brazilian
    Binder: Dominican Republic

Drink: Iced Coffee

This cigar had a dark reddish-brown toothy wrapper and smelled grassy. Construction was solid. There was one pretty stiff vein, but it was not a problem when I smoked it. The cap cut cleanly. The pre-light draw was clear and tasted like hay.

After lighting the cigar a pretty large space opened up on one side of the cigar. I can only guess that there was a loose spot(even though I didn't feel it).

At first this cigar was very spicy and tasted grassy. Halfway down the spice just died almost to nothing. A taste of raw walnuts came out just after the spice disappeared. The taste of walnuts stayed the same and the grassy taste dwindled down. The taste of grass disappeared towards the end of the stick and the spiciness came back. Mild at first and continued getting stronger, but no where as strong as when I first fired it up. The finish of the cigar became oily. I thought it was from tar build up, so I purged to no avail. The oily taste remained. I smoked it a little it longer until I was hit by a really oily puff.

The draw on the cigar was cool for the entire length. It produced a decent amount of smoke that smelled mildly sweet and floral.

Over all this was an ok cigar. Not at all what I expected from Montecristo. Monte's are one of my favorite brands but I would pass up the club cabinet if any other Monte was available.

Default Montecristo Seven

Churchill (7x50)
    Wrapper: Ecuador Sumatran
    Binder: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Dominican Republic/Brazilian

Drink: Earl Grey tea

I've been eying these cigars for a few weeks now and I finally decided to take the plunge and won a tin of these on CBid.

Just in case someone is not familiar with these cigars...
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarsinternational.com
    The factory’s highest level, most seasoned and time-tested rollers are given the designation ’Level 7 Roller.’ That’s the inspiration for this blend. Montecristo Sevens are a special limited-edition Monte blend, beautiful handmades available in one size only, a 7” x 50 churchill. Each cigar is dressed in a seamless, chocolate brown Ecuadorian-grown Sumatra wrapper, filled with vintage Dominican and Brazilian long-fillers. The smoke is mild to medium in body, coating the palate with refined layers of rich, smooth flavors. A Spanish cedar sleeve covers each cigar, adding yet another layer of flavor to this aged blend.
    The cigar was presented in a cedar wrapper that stretched almost the entire length of it. At the top was a very ornate band, which really strays from the usual Monte bands. When I slid the cedar/band off a second identical band was wrapped around the cigar. A very nice surprise. I usually take off the bands before I fire up a stick, but I left this one on since they went through the trouble of putting a 2nd one on.

For the cigar itself; this cigar was beautiful. The construction was perfect. The Sumatran wrapper was dark brown and a little toothy. The cigar had an earthy, mild cedar smell to it. The pre-light draw was very clear and tasted slightly earthy.

After toasting the foot a nutty scent peaked out. As I puffed on the stick, I was immediately hit with a nice amount of spice and nutty flavors. The finish on the cigars was a refreshingly mild tartness. The tartness gave a nice balance to the spice of smoke. The actual smoke was heavy and bright white. The ash produced was very thick and grey. In the middle of the cigar the spice mellowed out quite a bit and the smoke became slightly sweet but still finished with the tart. Near the end of the cigar the spice came back and gradually got stronger up until the end. The tartness went away as the spice picked up. The draw was extremely cool most of the stick. Near the end it became a little warm, but a minutes rest remedied that.

This was a very nice, balanced cigar. A must try for any Monte fan.

* H. Upmann and RyJ also have a seven series created by the same rollers(the only difference I can find is the wrappers on each are different)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRcigars.com
    The Upmann cigars are wrapped in a magnificent golden brown Connecticut shade, the Romeo y Julieta cigars are wrapped in a magnificent tawny-brown Ecuador Connecticut, and the Montecristo cigars wrapped in a magnificent chocolate-brown Ecuador Sumatra.
    **sorry for the length. I was excited about this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monte7.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	899  
    Last edited by logan37; 10-23-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Great review, that certainly makes me want one.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Great review, that certainly makes me want one.
    is that so...?

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    is that so...?
    Naaaa... That was just meaningless jabber. I hate Montecristo's.

Blog Entries

Nice review bro!! I'll have to give these a shot sometime.

post whores

Sucks for you then...

Thanks ash. Fyi, I burned the Cuesta Rey. Pretty tasty smoke. A bit mild but very nice taste to it. It sparked an interest to try the Sun-Grown and the Centenario. Thanks again for that.

Thread Information