Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: logan37's reviews

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Fyi, I burned the Cuesta Rey. Pretty tasty smoke. A bit mild but very nice taste to it. It sparked an interest to try the Sun-Grown and the Centenario.

I can recommend the Sun-Grown. They are a bit milder, but the taste is great.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Default Fuente Fuente Opus X

Petit Lancero (6.25 x 39)
    Wrapper: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Dominican Republic
    Binder: Dominican Republic

Drink: Coke

The construction of this slender cigar was very nice. A little stiff near the cap but wasn't an issue. This cigar had a very nice golden brown, smooth rosado wrapper. The cap clipped nicely and the prelight draw was very smooth. The scent of the unlit stick was nothing but sweet tasty tobacco.

After lighting the foot, I was immediately met with a big peppery spice. Two puffs later the spice mellowed out quite a bit to a medium spice range. A creamy, slightly sweet taste joined the spice. I couldn't put my finger on the sweet taste. It was almost caramel like. The finish was a mild leather. Half way through the sweetness dropped off and a robust coffee taste picked up. The spiciness stayed roughly the same and the finish became refreshingly grassy.

This cigar produced a generous amount of thick, grassy scented smoke and the ash was a mid-range grey that held one for a good length. I probably could have worked the ash to stay on the entire stick.

The entire length of the cigar was nicely balanced, and the draw was always smooth and cool. I was very happy with this cigar. Well worth sitting out in 39°f weather for.

Thanks for the opportunity to smoke this stick Jamie. And thanks Dennis for hanging out via chat for it. It was a good time.

Blog Entries

Nice review Rich!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is one of my fav sizes of Opus.

Default RP summer collection 2008

Robusto (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Cameroon (I think)

Drink: coffee

Construction was solid with no soft spots. The wrapper was a nice looking slightly oily brown. The scent of the cigar unlit was sweet and grassy with a slight hint of fresh mint. The cap cut clean and the prelight draw was nice and tasted earthy.

Lit, this cigar produced a ton of thick white smoke that had a simple aroma of sweet tobacco. At first the cigar was very peppery with a strong leather finish. About 1/3 down the spice dropped a little and a nutty taste joined in. As the cigar burned shorter the spice lessened until it totally dropped off with about 1/4 of the stick left. For the last 1/4 the nuttiness went away and a tasty of fresh grass was introduced. The finish at this point was still leathery, but much milder then it was before.

I was pretty impressed with this cigar. It's a little over priced IMO(MSRP $6.65), due to the limited production I guess. If you see them on sale, they are worth checking out.

Default Litto Gomez and Dona Flor Selecao

I just got home form Maxi's Cigar Lounge in the neighboring town. Had a great time with my close friend talking, smoking and playing darts.

Drink for both: Blue Point Toasted Ale

Litto Gomez Cubano

Robusto (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Dominican Republic (natural)

Absolutely incredible cigar. This cigar had a slightly rough texture and the construction was perfect. After firing it up, this cigar produced a smooth, cool draw that tasted of nuts and spice. As the cigar burned down the spice increased and a mild flavor of sweet coffee came into play. Half way through the spice mellowed out quite a bit and the taste became a little leathery. The full bodied cigar was extremely smooth the entire length. The ash held strong and burned even. I'm putting this cigar way up there on the top of my list. I bought 2 more to bring home at the end of the night. If you haven't tried this stick yet, get one. You won't be disappointed. Seriously, it's up there with some of those $20+ cigars that I've tried. This will be a box purchase in the future.

Dona Flor Selecao

Robusto (4.75 x 52)
    Wrapper: Brazilian
    Binder: Brazilian
    Filler: Brazilian

This cigar was a little loose in it's construction. It burned a little bit faster then I like but was still very enjoyable. This medium bodied cigar started out very nutty. About 1 inch in, cocoa and coffee flavors joined the nuttiness. About half way down the cocoa/coffee flavor dropped and a woody spice picked up. This flavor stayed similar for the rest of the cigar with slight fluctuations in the spice and woodiness. The nutty taste stayed on for the entire cigar. The draw was very cool and smooth. The ash was a little loose but burned pretty even. Not the best smoke I've had, but very good. Well worth checking out as it's pretty inexpensive($5.75 with NY taxes). (note: Cigar Aficionado gave this cigar a 92 rating)

Blog Entries

Nice review, Rich. I'm gonna have to try out those Litto's sometime. And I'm always interested in cigars that aren't from the "normal" cigar producing countries, like Brazil. There's a Peruvian cigar on my "to try" list as well JFellows was talking about a while back.

Thanks for the heads up. Great reviews.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Default God of Fire by Don Carlos 2006

Robusto (5.25 x 50)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Colorado

The Fuente family does not disappoint. This cigar was was incredible from beginning to end.

The construction was perfect and smooth oily wrapper smelled of earth and cocoa. The pre-light draw was clear and tasted sweet and earthy. After lighting this stick the sweet earthy flavor became more pronounced. About an inch in the sweet died down and a nutty taste came into play. Half way down a mild spice picked up and joined the nutty flavor. The earthiness subsided. For the rest of the cigar the spice continued to build. The intensity of nuttiness danced up and down mixing with a refreshing grassy flavor that popped out once in a while. The cigar provided an ample amount of sweet smelling smoke and an even burn.

This cigar produced an extremely cool draw and a smooth taste for the entire length. For a medium-full bodied smoke it tended to be on the lower end for me. The taste was complex and delicious. A must try.

Thanks for the reviews. But many may miss a review for a particular cigar if they don't scroll through your whole post.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    Thanks for the reviews. But many may miss a review for a particular cigar if they don't scroll through your whole post.
    Yeah, I've been lazy about putting an index up on the first post. I'll try and get to it soon. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Nice review Rich!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is one of my fav sizes of Opus.
    Wow nice come through with the Opus. I love this cigar with a margarita. Well I love all cigars with a margarita. Well, I love margaritas, and cigars.

Jamie, I've had a really good cigar lately, Don Pepin Serie JJ torpedo. Try it!

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    Thanks for the motivation. Index is now up.

I need to review some more.

Nice work on your review thread.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Default Padilla Hybrid

Robusto (5x50)
    Wrapper: hybrid of Cuban-seed and Connecticut-seed grown in Ecuador(hence the name)
    Filler: Blend of Nicaragua, Peru, and Dom. Rep
    Binder: Dom. Rep

This cigar has a fairly light brown wrapper. Slightly veiny but smooth to the touch. The aroma of the unlit cigar was mildly sweet and woody. The cap clipped cleanly and the pre-light draw was a little tight and tasted like a stick.

After toasting the foot I puffed and the draw opened up a bit. A giant cloud of light grey smoke was produced with every puff. The smoke that was produced had a sweet creamy tobacco scent.

At first, the flavor was slightly spicy, and tasted of wood and mild leather. The spice dropped off about 1/3 into the stick and the taste of wood became more smokey(i.e. like smoked meat). The smoked wood flavor and leather stayed relatively the same for the rest of the smoke. Towards the end the spice came back and slowly built up until I put it down. The spice never became big in flavor, but was a nice complement to the smoked wood and leather. I wished that the cigar had this spice the entire time. This cigar is considered a medium-full bodied smoke, but for me it was more like a mild-medium. The ash burned pretty even and held up strong.

Over all, this was a decent smoke. Not very complex, but had a nice mellow refreshing flavor to it.

Blog Entries

Nice review, thanks for posting it.

Default Olor Fuerte

Belicoso (6x54)
    Wrapper: Honduran Talanga Cubano
    Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan and Brazilian
    Binder: Mexican

This cigar was thrown at me by a fine botl. Btw, DW, the mail carrier pulled through. He will never deliver another package again, but at least he got a nice pension out of it.

The construction of this cigar was excellent. The wrapper was oily and toothy and a very dark brown. pre-lit the cigar smelled like sweet leather. The pre-light draw was clear and tasted earthy.

After toasting the foot a sweet smell of cooked cherries. The first raw threw me for a loop. It tasted like baked apples. That only lasted for 2 pulls. Then a taste of sweet leather and nuts started with a spicy finish. About 1/2 down the leather taste dwindled down to almost nothing and the general nutty flavor became a more specific hazelnut taste. At this point the spice finish stopped and became a coffee flavor. With 1/4 of the stick left the hazelnut taste became stronger and creamier. The spicy finish came back but with avery different effect. The new spice flavor was very sharp and left my mouth with a menthol sensation. It didn't taste anything like menthol but it gave me the "cold" sensation that menthol would. From the first draw, this cigar produced a ton of bright white, thick, creamy smoke that smelled like roasted hazelnuts.

The cigar burned a little uneven, but it didn't cause any issues. The ash was a bright grey and held on very strong. It lasted about 3.5 inches before falling off. The draw remained cool for the entire smoke.

Thank you, DW, for allowing me the experience of this creamy smoke.

Thanks for the great reviews, but you are making my try list pretty long!

Rich

Blog Entries

I've had a few of the Olor Fuerte in the 6 X 60 size, very nice smokes, indeed!

Great review bro!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Belicoso (6x54)
    Wrapper: Honduran Talanga Cubano
    Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan and Brazilian
    Binder: Mexican

This cigar was thrown at me by a fine botl. Btw, DW, the mail carrier pulled through. He will never deliver another package again, but at least he got a nice pension out of it.

The construction of this cigar was excellent. The wrapper was oily and toothy and a very dark brown. pre-lit the cigar smelled like sweet leather. The pre-light draw was clear and tasted earthy.

After toasting the foot a sweet smell of cooked cherries. The first raw threw me for a loop. It tasted like baked apples. That only lasted for 2 pulls. Then a taste of sweet leather and nuts started with a spicy finish. About 1/2 down the leather taste dwindled down to almost nothing and the general nutty flavor became a more specific hazelnut taste. At this point the spice finish stopped and became a coffee flavor. With 1/4 of the stick left the hazelnut taste became stronger and creamier. The spicy finish came back but with avery different effect. The new spice flavor was very sharp and left my mouth with a menthol sensation. It didn't taste anything like menthol but it gave me the "cold" sensation that menthol would. From the first draw, this cigar produced a ton of bright white, thick, creamy smoke that smelled like roasted hazelnuts.

The cigar burned a little uneven, but it didn't cause any issues. The ash was a bright grey and held on very strong. It lasted about 3.5 inches before falling off. The draw remained cool for the entire smoke.

Thank you, DW, for allowing me the experience of this creamy smoke.
    Wow, appetizers, hors dourevs, the main course and dessert all in one smorgasboard cigar! You might need a cigar after this cigar.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 12-12-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell worf a shit anymore.

Default Nub Habano 358

3.75x58
    Wrapper: Habano - Nicaragua
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua

Drink: Blue Point Toasted Lager

The construction of the cigar was very good. It had a smooth brown wrapper. The pre-light draw was clear and tasted grassy. It smelled sweet and grassy.

When I first lit this smoke, I was looking forward to a great smoke. It started off very spicy and grassy. And stayed that way for the entire smoke. I was pretty disappointed. No change ever took place for the entire 3 inches that I burned. The cigar produced a ton of white billowing smoke that smelled sweet and earthy. Actually, my favorite part of this cigar was the aroma of the smoke. Overall, it was a dud for me.

I won't put up the money for this cigar again. There are much better smokes in this price range IMO.

I've tried the connecticut wrapped Nub as well a few months ago and wasn't impressed with that one either. Maybe I'll try the Cameroon one day, but I'm not going to go out of my way for one.

Nice review. Maybe you got a dud. I found the couple of NUB Habanos that I smoked to be not too shabby. Reminded me of the Oliva V all in all. I do not buy into the short and fat "sweet spot" concept and would not go out of my way to get a box of these borderline novelty cigars, but I would give this line a solid B/B+ rating.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Thread Information