Litto Gomez Diez Cubano
    Dona Flor Selecao
    God of Fire by Don Carlos 2006 Robusto

Page 6
    Padilla Hybrid Robusto
    Olor Fuerte Belicoso
    Nub Habano 358

Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo(5x55)

Not that I know anything about construction other then what I've read, this stick seemed to be constructed well. No soft or hard spots; even throughout.

The very dark maduro wrapper was slightly oily and smelled pretty spicy(probably the best smell of a cigar I've had yet). I cut the cap straight with my Palio. The draw was nice unlit. I toasted the foot a little and fired it up. The draw was extremely smooth, the smoothest I've had to date. The smoke tasted surprisingly clean and refreshing(not at all what I was expecting from the initial smell). The draw was very cool. The smoke appeared to be heavy when I "exhaled", forming a dense, white cloud for about 10-12 seconds before the slight breeze broke it apart(yes, I smoke out side. My wife has allergies). The cigar burned slow and even, and the ash was a bright white-light gray. The first ash lasted about two inches before it fell. The first 2/3 of the stick was like this; clean and refreshing tobacco taste. After that, the taste became a little spicy and earthy, but the draw stayed cool. My taste buds began to tingle now. At the very end the spice picked up a bit more, but still stayed cool. After an hour and ten minutes, I was at the nub. I did not want this cigar to end, but my fingers began to burn. And, since I don't want to smoke those, I put her down.

I highly suggest this smoke to anyone who hasn't tried one before. If you have, get another. Since I'm not really able to rate a cigar properly yet I'm not even going to try. I am definitely going to pick up more of these cigars.

I know what one of you out there thinks about this cigar. Who else has had one of these? Let me know what your thoughts are on them. Also, any feedback on my review is appreciated.
    Last edited by logan37; 02-06-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: index added

Blog Entries

Nice Job on your first review

I'm a fan of most Montecristos, Especially the White label and Afrique, they are usually very well made and flavorful, but this one has eluded me somehow..
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Thumbs up

Great smoke. Had one in a sampler from CI and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Blog Entries

Nice review!! I like these two, but I think I like the Afrique the most of the Monte's.

Thanks guys. This was the 2nd Monte that I've had. And I'm really diggin' them. I have a few more various Montes in my humi, but no afrique. I'll have to pick one of them up.

Nice work on the review. I have had a couple of these and I really liked them.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Thanks KC. I can't wait to read your upcoming reviews. I've read all of your existing ones and I really enjoyed them.

Default Just going to make this my review thread

Gurkha Black Puro torpedo(6.5 x 53)

Originally I was going to light up the Padron anniversary, but on a suggestion of another botl I opted for this cigar.

The construction was solid. Consistent feel throughout. The wrapper was a dark shiny brown. It smelled sweet and earthy.

I cut the cap and the pre-light draw was clear with a slight earthy taste. After I toasted the foot, the smell of the oil became strong. The draw was smooth and cool. This cigar provided a generous amount of smoke, very heavy and smooth. The smoke had a strong leathery smell, which was subtle in the taste of the smoke.

This cigar burned slightly uneven at first, but quickly corrected itself(probably due to my shoddy lighting). The burn produced a light grey, solid ash that lasted about 2.5 inches before it fell off.

Half way through the stick, the taste became slightly spicy. The taste of leather turned sweeter. The mild mix of spicy and sweet worked very well together. As it burned down further the spice picked up and the sweet stayed the same. The taste and smell of leather became stronger. I felt the smoke tingle the sides and center of my tongue. Other then becoming a little bit spicier, the taste stayed the same until the end.

Near the end the draw became a little hot so I set it down and refilled my glass with more Captain & Coke. I came back to it and the draw was cool again.

I would buy more of these smokes. And they are a steal for less then $4 a stick at www.cigarsinternational.com

Blog Entries

Nice Review, glad you enjoyed the smoke. IMO, C-Bid is the place to pick up Gurkha's.

This one will now be put on my buy list!

Thanks for the review.

Rich
    Last edited by CAJUNBLAZE; 09-10-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

11. Default

these are two excellent cigars i love the monte cristo i actually just went out and bought a few of them a few days ago i havnt actually had a ghurka but ive read numerous reviews and talked to a lot of ppl and everybody seems to really enjoy them so they r on my top priority list

Default Perdomo Lot 23 Robusto

5 x 50, maduro.

Absolutely delicious!!!

Very dark textured wrapper. Smelled a little sweet and earthy. The construction was very good; no squishy spots. The cap cut clean and the pre-light draw was clear with a subtle hint spice.

After lighting the cigar, I instantly was hit with a generous amount of sweet, velvety smoke. The draw was cool and the stick burned very slow. I was left with a sensation of chocolate after I released smoke from my mouth. It didn't taste like chocolate, but it felt like I just ate some. I don't know any other way to explain that. It was odd, but very pleasant. The taste of the cigar was a little nutty and sweet for the first half. On the second half the taste was a mixture of spicy and sweet and still the chocolate sensation continued.

The ash was a light gray, burned very even and held up incredibly strong. For the fear of it falling off on my dog's head(who was laying her head on my lap), I tapped the ash off about half way through.

I really enjoyed this cigar and more of these will be added to my humi. These would be excellent cigars to hand out to some buddies that only smoke an occasional cigar.

Blog Entries

Nice review!! Sounds as if you enjoyed the smoke.

Good review!

I love these Perdomo's. I have tried most vitolas except the belicoso and I've got a box of those on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Gurkha Black Puro torpedo(6.5 x 53)

Originally I was going to light up the Padron anniversary, but on a suggestion of another botl I opted for this cigar.

The construction was solid. Consistent feel throughout. The wrapper was a dark shiny brown. It smelled sweet and earthy.

I cut the cap and the pre-light draw was clear with a slight earthy taste. After I toasted the foot, the smell of the oil became strong. The draw was smooth and cool. This cigar provided a generous amount of smoke, very heavy and smooth. The smoke had a strong leathery smell, which was subtle in the taste of the smoke.

This cigar burned slightly uneven at first, but quickly corrected itself(probably due to my shoddy lighting). The burn produced a light grey, solid ash that lasted about 2.5 inches before it fell off.

Half way through the stick, the taste became slightly spicy. The taste of leather turned sweeter. The mild mix of spicy and sweet worked very well together. As it burned down further the spice picked up and the sweet stayed the same. The taste and smell of leather became stronger. I felt the smoke tingle the sides and center of my tongue. Other then becoming a little bit spicier, the taste stayed the same until the end.

Near the end the draw became a little hot so I set it down and refilled my glass with more Captain & Coke. I came back to it and the draw was cool again.

I would buy more of these smokes. And they are a steal for less then $4 a stick at www.cigarsinternational.com

Nice review and it's a good stick put you smoked it instead of a Padron Anniversary???? Newbie. The only time I would pick a Gurkha over one of them is when I'm saving it for something else. You know a celebration cigar. I celebrate special days/times with family and friends. Like Friday night out with the guys, having time to myself, Hell splitting wood. Pretty much anytime I can get a cigar in is a celebration.
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    Pretty much anytime I can get a cigar in is a celebration.
    Haha very well put!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    Nice review and it's a good stick put you smoked it instead of a Padron Anniversary???? Newbie. The only time I would pick a Gurkha over one of them is when I'm saving it for something else. You know a celebration cigar. I celebrate special days/times with family and friends. Like Friday night out with the guys, having time to myself, Hell splitting wood. Pretty much anytime I can get a cigar in is a celebration.
    Newbie? yes, very much still a newbie here. I was thinking along the lines of saving it. Not for "special" occasion, but just to not waste a $20 stick on my young, inexperienced palate. However, I'm over that stupidity now. I will be firing up the Padron soon.

Some nice reviews, well done.

These next few reviews are in no particular order. I just took some notes on them and wanted to finally write some reviews.

Default Padron 1964 Anniversary

Monarca size (6.5x46)
    Wrapper: Nicaragua(natural)
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua

Drink: JW blue. (hey, it's an expensive cigar)

Construction was a perfect box press with no soft spots and the cap clipped off very clean. The wrapper felt rough(is that what toothy is?) and there were no large veins present.

The odor of the cigar was slightly sweet and earthy and the pre-light draw was clean. I toasted the foot and the cigar released a very pleasant sweet and nutty aroma. I puffed and tasted a lightly sweet walnut flavor that finished with a little spice. This medium bodied smoke produced a lot of thick, creamy smoke. About halfway down the stick the flavored turned a little bit spicier on the finish but still held the sweet nutty taste. The spice kept building as the stick burned down. The sweet/nuttiness became slightly stronger towards the end.

The ash was a light grey and fell off at about 2.5 inches. It burned pretty even the entire length.

Awesome smoke. This is a must try for anyone who hasn't yet. It's pricey but damn it's worth it for any (special) occasion. JW blue complimented this perfectly.
    Last edited by logan37; 10-16-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Thread Information