Thread: Weight Lifting?

Default Weight Lifting?

Anyone into it? Started working out at the beginning of the year and have gotten more into it. Trying to get into shape and gain strength and size.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Columbus/Canton, OH (home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!)

With being a college football player I've been very in to it for a long time. Do you have any kind of workout mapped out for yourself or are you looking for something that would be sufficient for gaining the size and strength you're talking about?

Blog Entries

I lifted weights once. They were heavy. I put them back down.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

This past summer I started back up again with lifting 3 times a week, particularly since my college just dropped $1M on a brand new on-campus gym/workout center. I started out only using free weights, but every time I go I try to check out a new machine just to add to the repertoire. I was skinny as a rail, but I'm already seeing noticeable gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey-OH View Post
    With being a college football player I've been very in to it for a long time. Do you have any kind of workout mapped out for yourself or are you looking for something that would be sufficient for gaining the size and strength you're talking about?

Currently I started Rippetoe's Strength Training Program. Just upgrade my home set to a better starter set. If things go well and I have the extra cash I hope to pick up a rack in the beginning of the new year.

The hardest part is eating clean.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    Currently I started Rippetoe's Strength Training Program. Just upgrade my home set to a better starter set. If things go well and I have the extra cash I hope to pick up a rack in the beginning of the new year.

DG
    I have been weight lifting for almost ten years now (yes i did start when i was 11) and have been study Exercise Science in college. the thing that has most surprised me is that weight lifting is not the only way you can gain strength and size. there so many alternatives out there such as, rubber band training and military style calisthenic workouts. That being said weight lifting is awesome because of how much you can vary your workout even with only two dumbbells.

i also feel you on the eating clean thing. Good foods just don't have many calories so it is hard to eat a enough and because they make your metabolism run better you feel like your always hungry!
    Mark 8:36

Columbus/Canton, OH (home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!)

DG
    Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start! You're right about the diet part. If you don't eat the right way you aren't going to see the gains that you may hope for. I've seen both sides of this. Sleep is another thing that is vital to gaining size and strength. By that I mean that you try and stay on a consistent schedule as far as when you wake up, go to bed, etc.

I knew it was only a matter of time before here'sjohnny got on this topic too. He's a good resource to talk to since he's studying this as his future profession.

I have some easy diet adjustments I could fill you in on that worked well for me if you're interested too. Keep us updated on how you progress with your gains!

Mike

Blog Entries

ROTC just started this week, so i'm in the gym every monday wednesday and friday at 5:50 for PT. other than running in preperation for this, i haven't done much pure working out since last spring when my campus gym membership ran out.

I need to start up again soon. I just bought some new sneakers and some shorts/shirts and started walking and jogging. I'm thinking of grabbing an incline/decline bench and a set of adjustable weight dumbbells.

10. Default

long time lifter, used to be high school strength coach. Here's hoping the iron bug bites and you are hooked Focus on more weight or reps over time ( a long time-months and years) Train hard! Good luck!

Have been going to the gym on a more or less regular basis for 12+ years. I've been maintaining about 4-6 times per week for some time now. I also like to run and go to a track or go find a place to run when out of town 2-3 times per week. I'd like to run 4-5 times, but sometimes let a heavy bag workout substitute for the run. Boxing is new to me and it's an amazing cardio wrokout. My gym is a Gold's, so there are machines and free weights and I like to use different things - variety prevents burnout. I don't body build or go for max lifts - just sets and reps. I never leave without doing abs, as core strength is vital to injury prevention.

On the diet, I went vegatarian about a 1 1/2 years ago, and at first I had to eat a lot to keep my weight up. I've kinda been a carb slut lately though and have backed off some and completely off sugar. Since going veg, I've noticed my recovery time after a run is about 1/2 or 1/3 what is was before. I'm sold.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Have been going to the gym on a more or less regular basis for 12+ years. I've been maintaining about 4-6 times per week for some time now. I also like to run and go to a track or go find a place to run when out of town 2-3 times per week. I'd like to run 4-5 times, but sometimes let a heavy bag workout substitute for the run. Boxing is new to me and it's an amazing cardio wrokout. My gym is a Gold's, so there are machines and free weights and I like to use different things - variety prevents burnout. I don't body build or go for max lifts - just sets and reps. I never leave without doing abs, as core strength is vital to injury prevention.

On the diet, I went vegatarian about a 1 1/2 years ago, and at first I had to eat a lot to keep my weight up. I've kinda been a carb slut lately though and have backed off some and completely off sugar. Since going veg, I've noticed my recovery time after a run is about 1/2 or 1/3 what is was before. I'm sold.

Vegatarian? That explains alot about you.

I also bike ride 4 times a week. 10+ miles a day. I'm going to change this as my recovery isn't what it should be. I lift M-W-F early morning. Then bike ride. M-T-Th-F. I think the T & Th bike rides are hurting my W & F lifting. So I'm going to change to match the days I lift. This will give me a day and half for my legs to recover.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Been liftting for about 9 years. Took about a year off and just got back into it because after seeing myself in the mirror I couldn't take it anymore.

A friend and I were at this little gym and it shut down about 3 Years ago. About 2 weeks later he came and said what do you think of building a gym. I said oh sure lets get right on it, but he was serious. He did all the financial stuff with is girlfriend that already had a successful company. Found a building did our research and started putting it together. Started around August and opened in December. Did all the work ourselves and had our own gym. Has about 125-150 members depending on time of year. He basicly stated a business so we could work out.

Went from a storage garage

To a gym

Been told that 70% of a body building life is eating (correct not just clean) . 20% sleeping. 10% actually working out.

Eat small meals too. I get 7-8 meals a day. Granted some are shakes. If you decide to get into supplements go with a quality company. Not one you see in every magizine saying you will gain 25lbs of muscle in 4 weeks by just taking these pills. I use only Beverly International All pharmaceutical grade stuff.

I just bought some new sneakers and some shorts/shirts and started walking and jogging. I'm thinking of grabbing an incline/decline bench and a set of adjustable weight dumbbells.
    I say get those DB man. Good to do cardio too but I've read studies and actually seen better results for myself and friends shedding fat by going full bore with resistance training. Seem to continue to burn more calories long after the workout.

Hoping to get in good shape soon. I've always wanted to do a show. Local one around here is in March
    Anyone here ever been a contestant?

That's looks very nice. I like how you have a lot of free weights. Most places around here are fitness centers and don't really have any free weights.

Also looking if someone can download this torrent and then E-mail me the pdf file. Only 17 M. Can only get torrents to download at work and they hog the line so it's a no go.

Linky

Thanks,
    DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Also looking if someone can download this torrent and then E-mail me the pdf file. Only 17 M. Can only get torrents to download at work and they hog the line so it's a no go.
    You've got a PM.

Thread Information