Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review These Pass II Reviews

Good job bigwhiteash!!

We will have to call you DOC bigwhiteash.

Rich

Hi All

I took bag #3, two Torpedo vitolas.

Smoked cigar A last night and really enjoyed it.

It had a maduro wrapper, lightly veiny. Good tobacco smell prelight, medium draw.

It didn't develop much smoke but what there was had a good smell to it. It lasted me slightly more than 1.5 hours. Only had one time about half way through it that it almost went out. I'd say that it was a full bodied smoke and it had a great finish. Probably shouldn't have smoked it so close to going to bed because I got some really weird dreams from it

Altogether, very enjoyable smoke and Cigar B has its work cut out for it I'll be smoking it tonight.

sammis

I found some time today to smoke the second cigar and smoked the other one last weekend.
    I'm not too good at reviews but I'll give it a shot.

Cigar A:
    Torpedo
    Just finished smoking this cigar today. The cigar wasn't too firm but not too soft either. It had a nice white ash with a tight draw at first but then the draw become better after about an inch or so. I didn't find too many flavors in the cigar but it was fairly enjoyable. The cigar became a little bitter near the end of my smoking.

Cigar B:
    Torpedo Maduro
    I smoked this cigar first and enjoyed it a lot, but then again I enjoy maduro cigars over mild/medium body cigars. It had plenty of flavor and spice. Reminded of a Nicaraguan cigar. The draw was tight throughout but wasn't intolerable. Ash was sturdy and it had no burn issues at all.

I believe that Cigar B was the more expensive of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by BDurrani View Post
    I found some time today to smoke the second cigar and smoked the other one last weekend.

Cigar A:
    Torpedo
    Just finished smoking this cigar today. The cigar wasn't too firm but not too soft either. It had a nice white ash with a tight draw at first but then the draw become better after about an inch or so. I didn't find too many flavors in the cigar but it was fairly enjoyable. The cigar became a little bitter near the end of my smoking.

Cigar B:
    Torpedo Maduro
    I smoked this cigar first and enjoyed it a lot, but then again I enjoy maduro cigars over mild/medium body cigars. It had plenty of flavor and spice. Reminded of a Nicaraguan cigar. The draw was tight throughout but wasn't intolerable. Ash was sturdy and it had no burn issues at all.

Thanks for the reviews. Which bag # did you take?

Hi All

To recap: I took bag #3, two Torpedo vitolas.

Smoked cigar A last night and really enjoyed it. Maduro wrapper, very good cigar.

Smoke cigar B tonight:

This was a box press Torpedo, either conneticut or cameroon wrapper, it was hard to tell. Hardly any veins, light tobacco spell prelight, I had to cut it three times to get it to draw well.

That was the only problem with this cigar. It wasn't as strong as cigar A but it had a very good taste and finish. very little smoke but very flavorful. It only lasted an hour but it was a pleasant hour.

Whoever put together this bag really put me to the test.

After smoking cigar A, I had the feeling that it was a either a Torano Virtuoso or an Ashton VSG which would make it the more expensive cigar.

After smoking cigar B, I'm having some doubts

I will stick to my first impression and say that cigar A was the more expensive cigar but I don't think anyone could go wrong with either of these cigars!

Here's to hoping I did better than last time

sammis

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Thanks for the reviews. Which bag # did you take?
    Bag #7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sammis View Post
    Hi All

To recap: I took bag #3, two Torpedo vitolas.

Smoked cigar A last night and really enjoyed it. Maduro wrapper, very good cigar.

Smoke cigar B tonight:

This was a box press Torpedo, either conneticut or cameroon wrapper, it was hard to tell. Hardly any veins, light tobacco spell prelight, I had to cut it three times to get it to draw well.

That was the only problem with this cigar. It wasn't as strong as cigar A but it had a very good taste and finish. very little smoke but very flavorful. It only lasted an hour but it was a pleasant hour.

Whoever put together this bag really put me to the test.

After smoking cigar A, I had the feeling that it was a either a Torano Virtuoso or an Ashton VSG which would make it the more expensive cigar.

After smoking cigar B, I'm having some doubts

I will stick to my first impression and say that cigar A was the more expensive cigar but I don't think anyone could go wrong with either of these cigars!

Here's to hoping I did better than last time

sammis
    You got it
    A= Diamond Crown Maximus pyr #3 14.95
    B= Sancho Panza Dulcinea 2.91

Thanks for playing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDurrani View Post

Cigar A:
    Torpedo

Cigar B:
    Torpedo Maduro

Oops:
    A- Padilla Series 68-pyramid $6.43
    B- Helix XP-Pyramid maduro $2.41

Thanks for playing
    Last edited by ashauler; 10-12-2008 at 05:29 AM.

woo hoo!!!

Guess I need to make some more room in the coolidor

sammis

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    You got it
    A= Diamond Crown Maximus pyr #3 14.95
    B= Sancho Panza Dulcinea 2.91

Thanks for playing.

Oops:
    A- Padilla Series 68-pyramid $6.43
    B- Helix XP-Pyramid maduro $2.41

Thanks for playing
    Damn. Maybe next time.

Got my sticks reviewed. I took bag #8.

Cigar A

This was a robusto size cigar with a natural shade wrapper. Construction was good with a well formed cap and some small veins. Prelight draw was perfect.

The first third of the cigar had notes of leather and tobacco with a hint of pepper. The second and last third didn't change much. the pepper mellowed out a bit and was replaced by a sweet spice that reminded me of a Flor de Oliva Corojo. Overall a good cigar.

Cigar B

This was also a robusto size cigar. This one had a darker colorado maduro wrapper that was smooth with very little veins. The cigar was very firm and well constructed. The prelight draw was surprisingly loose considering how firm the cigar was. The cigar started off with notes of sweet tobacco and I began to notice more of a cedar or wood taste developing along the way. The cigar was very well balanced but never any thing extraordinary. This reminded me of some Fuente stuff out there.

Comparison

Not much of a wow factor on either of these cigars but both were enjoyable. I've had some sinus problems for the past couple of weeks but I'm going to go with my gut instinct and say that cigar b is the more expensive.

Blog Entries

A - Famous Nicargua - $3
    B - La Aurora 1495 - $6

Nice job Chris!!

Good job guys. I will start smoking mine this weekend and post my review early next week.
    I was lucky enough to get a Diamond Crown Maximus in the last couple of days, so it was nice to see a review, thanks.

Default Baggie 14

This baggie contained two robustos.

Cigar A - Slightly smaller ring guage of the two it would measure closer to 48-49 than the traditional 50. It had a coarse, veiny, dry, medium brown wrapper. The roll was somewhat lumpy which was even more evident with an uneven burn. I would guess the filler to be a blend of Dominican and Porta Rican or possibly even Mexican. It was less than I would want to smoke for an every day stick.

Cigar B - Traditional 5x50 robusto. Nice dark Habano looking, maybe a Sumatra wrapper. Fairly smooth, tight, slightly oily and a very even roll with a perfect cap. This was a full bodied cigar with some spiciness, and thick, creamy smoke. It burned nearly perfect with a light grey ash. I would guess that it is a blend of Nicaraguan and Honduran. I enjoyed this cigar. I am anxious to learn what it was so that I might purchase some.

Without question, Cigar B is the more expensive of the two.

Thanks Ashauler for your dedication to make this a better community.

Blog Entries

Nice reviews as always DW......you hit it smack on.

A- Don Thomas Clasico Robusto $2.13
    B- Cabaiguan Belicoso Fino $8.94

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    This baggie contained two robustos.

Cigar A - Slightly smaller ring guage of the two it would measure closer to 48-49 than the traditional 50. It had a coarse, veiny, dry, medium brown wrapper. The roll was somewhat lumpy which was even more evident with an uneven burn. I would guess the filler to be a blend of Dominican and Porta Rican or possibly even Mexican. It was less than I would want to smoke for an every day stick.

Cigar B - Traditional 5x50 robusto. Nice dark Habano looking, maybe a Sumatra wrapper. Fairly smooth, tight, slightly oily and a very even roll with a perfect cap. This was a full bodied cigar with some spiciness, and thick, creamy smoke. It burned nearly perfect with a light grey ash. I would guess that it is a blend of Nicaraguan and Honduran. I enjoyed this cigar. I am anxious to learn what it was so that I might purchase some.

Without question, Cigar B is the more expensive of the two.

Thanks Ashauler for your dedication to make this a better community.

Good job DeeDubya, enjoyed the review. I guess I'm up.

I decided on bag 11. Both we're light colored wrappers. One being a torpedo and the other more like a churchhill. Both 6 inches and around 50 ring gauge. Looking at them without bands, you would think it was the same cigar.

Cigar A:

This cigar felt a little soft around the center, a few veins, and light in color. I cut the cap and the pre light draw seemed fine, toasted the foot. It was a bit harder to light than other cigars. First draw seemed to have a little spice and sweet taste that only lasted about 5 minutes. That was replaced with a harsher earthy taste. The second third is were the problem started, it started getting very harsh and unpleasant. Then the wrapper started to unwrap!! After about 5 minutes the wrapper fell off! I had never had this happen before, it did expose a darker shade of tobacco underneath. I put it to rest shortly after that.

Cigar B:

This cigar felt as if had a better construction than A, it also had a few veins and light in color. The pre-light draw was better so I went ahead and toasted the foot. It lit well and burned even through the whole cigar. The firts third had subtle hints of earth and nuts. It put out alot of smoke and was a lot better that A. The burn still was close to perfect throughout the second third. The taste picked up more of the earthy tones but still a faint nutty taste. This lasted for the last third as well. I nubbed it. This was a very enjoyable cigar.

Putting aside the wrapper issue and comparing even just the first third of both cigars, I would say B was much better than A. This is not only in my taste, but in the smoke it produced and the burn.

I have enjoyed this pass very much and thank Ashauler and everyone else for letting be part of it.

I would think you know my answer but here it is:

I would think by far, that B is the more expensive cigar.

Blog Entries

Very, very nice reviews.
    Here is what you smoked:
    A. Perdomo Fresco Torpedo: $1.53
    B. Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Toro: $ 7.00

Congratulations, you nailed it!!! Sig-tag on its way via PM, thanks for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNBLAZE View Post
    I decided on bag 11. Both we're light colored wrappers. One being a torpedo and the other more like a churchhill. Both 6 inches and around 50 ring gauge. Looking at them without bands, you would think it was the same cigar.

Cigar A:

This cigar felt a little soft around the center, a few veins, and light in color. I cut the cap and the pre light draw seemed fine, toasted the foot. It was a bit harder to light than other cigars. First draw seemed to have a little spice and sweet taste that only lasted about 5 minutes. That was replaced with a harsher earthy taste. The second third is were the problem started, it started getting very harsh and unpleasant. Then the wrapper started to unwrap!! After about 5 minutes the wrapper fell off! I had never had this happen before, it did expose a darker shade of tobacco underneath. I put it to rest shortly after that.

Cigar B:

This cigar felt as if had a better construction than A, it also had a few veins and light in color. The pre-light draw was better so I went ahead and toasted the foot. It lit well and burned even through the whole cigar. The firts third had subtle hints of earth and nuts. It put out alot of smoke and was a lot better that A. The burn still was close to perfect throughout the second third. The taste picked up more of the earthy tones but still a faint nutty taste. This lasted for the last third as well. I nubbed it. This was a very enjoyable cigar.

Putting aside the wrapper issue and comparing even just the first third of both cigars, I would say B was much better than A. This is not only in my taste, but in the smoke it produced and the burn.

I have enjoyed this pass very much and thank Ashauler and everyone else for letting be part of it.

I would think you know my answer but here it is:

I would think by far, that B is the more expensive cigar.

Very, very nice reviews.
    Here is what you smoked:
    A. Perdomo Fresco Torpedo: $1.53
    B. Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Toro: $ 7.00

Congratulations, you nailed it!!! Sig-tag on its way via PM, thanks for playing.
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! I was scared to look!!

Edit to say: Got my sig tag on your 2000th post Congrads to both of us!!

Congrats bro. I can't say that I've had an entire wrapper fall off but have had some unwind. I had some Ghurka perfectos that once you removed the band it was really hard to tell the head from the foot. If you light the head it will unwind.

Thread Information