Thread: Just got fired from my project, WTF?

Unhappy Just got fired from my project, WTF?

I have been insanely busy the last two weeks since I returned from my friends wedding. To give you some back ground, I work in construction and was doing a stint in the scheduling department when I heard that we were awarded a Joint Venture contract to build a major project. I wanted to apply my newly learned skill on this project since I was ready to go back out on a project and since I wanted to do so as a scheduler. Well, since July, I have been busting my butt to not only get the Baseline schedule approved, but to also get the first update done, and also to build several mini schedules to later bring into the project’s schedule. According to what my boss was having me do, I though I was doing a good job. However, the project director decided that he needed the entire scheduling department on the project, so when I returned from Maui, I found my old boss, and coworkers on site. Each one had taken over one of the items I was working on. So today my scheduling boss asked me to head over to the main office after lunch and he brought me into the Director of HR's office. Apparently, the top guys, a few levels above my boss at WR, had questioned my desire, productivity and commitment to the project and basically asked HR to remove me from the project. I found out that I was to be replaced by 2 full time people and one part time person! I guess I'm not that good at doing the work for 2.5 people, what a shocker! After explaining this to me, and listening and giving me a chance to explain why all of those schedules were not done, in addition to other activities thrown upon my, I was told that while I wasn't being fired completely, I would need to improve or else. I could not believe what I had heard! I had had great Performance Reviews prior to this job, and all indications from my immediate boss at this project were all positive. This came out of left field! Afterwards I had a candid talk with my scheduling dept. boss and asked him why I had been sandbagged like this. All he could figure out was that I had bitten off more then I could chew with this project and my experience in scheduling (1 year in the department) and that the personalities of the top guys on the project plus my boss had not made for a successful situation for me. WTF!?!? So many questions are swirling in my head right now about today’s meeting. Needles to say, the project director asked me to be removed from the project effective Monday. So back to the scheduling department I go. While it is difficult to explain the whole picture in this post, I feel like I have been screwed over in a major way. In hindsight, I probably didn't have the experience for this project now knowing what it needed, but to hear that from the Director of HR is unnecessary, and inappropriate in my opinion. I have been losing fait in my company over the last two years with how they treat people and this is not helping my opinion one bit.
    Last edited by Cabaiguan Juan; 09-20-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Columbus/Canton, OH (home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!)

Sorry to hear about that Juan. It sounds to me that, regardless of your experience in that department, things were moving along very well and you were pretty much on top of things. It seems lame and disrespectful to have someone come out of nowhere and request you be taken off of a project like that. You would think that a company that cared about it's employees would atleast take the time to talk to them about any issues that were begininng to come about instead of blindsiding them. It may be best to go to HR themselves and find the whole story behind what happened. It's most definately your right to know.

I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted on how it goes. Just remember there's always a silver lining and something great could come as a result of all this.

That sucks. I know how you feel, sounds like an everyday situation at where I work. Hell, I almost walked out this morning. Just remember, just because you were "fired" doesn't mean you deserve it. It happened to me. Bosses and Director's of whatever-the-hell are people too with emotions, agendas, and other things that can cloud their judgement. Their call is not always the right one. So don't beat yourself up over it.

My friend and BOTL,

Things happen for a reason. I would probably just keep my head up, concentrate on the things on hand, and let the situation rest for awhile. You will probably hear more information from the people you work with in the next couple of days of what happened while you were gone. Let your mind clear take it in all in and then, if you need to confront you boss or HR about the situation do so. This will let everyone settle down. It sounds to me as if this really wasn't just an issue with you, as much as upper management issues. Maybe this was a good time to get out of that situation before it got worse. Sometimes you can't take it personal, $hit does roll downhill. The hiring of several people to fill your position would tell me not that you took more responsibilty and could not handle it, but that they underestimated the work load for the project for any single person.

I would just have a good smoke relax and take it day by day doing the best I can, but keep an eye out for other opportunities that may come by. If that means proving yourself again to this company or with another.

Rich

I am still enjoying my smokes from the newbie sampler!!!
    Last edited by CAJUNBLAZE; 09-18-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Sorry to read about your situation, bro. Looks to me that you were made out to be the "fall guy" here. It probably has less to do with you than you may think. As hard as it may seem, try not to take it personally. That feeling in your gut and head will go away in a few days. Stay positive and look ahead. You are still employed- that is the short-term positive. Again, don't look back. Too much life to live and other important shit going on to get sucked into corporate bullshit. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add: Replaced by 2 1/2 people. That speaks volumes right there.
    Last edited by slcraiders; 09-18-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

That really sux man. Sounds like the upper level guys come in with little knowledge of the project and the people working on it and make changes to make the project run better without consulting andy of the head project people, you just happened to be the guy to take the brunt of it. I say just light one or two up and just try to forget it.
    Mark 8:36

I want to learn from this but also don't want to have a black mark on my record. I feel like I need to go back to HR next week and ask to leave a statement in my record. Something that explains why I did not know that the Director and Sr. Superintendant had an issue because everything I was getting from my direct supervisor was to the contrary or something like that.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    Sorry to read about your situation, bro. Looks to me that you were made out to be the "fall guy" here. It probably has less to do with you than you may think. As hard as it may seem, try not to take it personally. That feeling in your gut and head will go away in a few days. Stay positive and look ahead. You are still employed- that is the short-term positive. Again, don't look back. Too much life to live and other important shit going on to get sucked into corporate bullshit. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add: Replaced by 2 1/2 people. That speaks volumes right there.
    Words of wisdom here Jon! I feel for ya bro, try to keep your head up and puttin' one foot in front of the other. It'll work out in the long run man!!

I'm with you on the HR thing - it is inappropriate. Unfortunately, that's how many places handle things like this. Using HR is a way everyone who's really involved can stay nice and clean. Well, except the guy getting the bad news. Being a manager doesn't mean you have nuts.

In my mind, your wanting to learn the lessons from this is one of the bigger pieces here. Was it office politics? Biting off more than you could chew? A communication breakdown somewhere? Some of these things you can do something about, and some of them, nothing.

Keep moving forward, hold your head up, and you'll be better for all this.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    In my mind, your wanting to learn the lessons from this is one of the bigger pieces here. Was it office politics? Biting off more than you could chew? A communication breakdown somewhere? Some of these things you can do something about, and some of them, nothing.
    I spoke with the project director and what i came away from was that office politics has a large roll in this. I took down several pages of notes on what could the issues were, and what to consider in the future. I also took away from my talk with the director a lot of things he considers important for any Project Manager, many of which I've been practicing on my project which I have been closing out. So i guess I'm doing something right.

Sounds like someone let you take time off when they really couldn't afford it, and you took the hit for it. It's a bad communication of expectations.

Someone up top probably said they wanted something done yesterday, and all your department had to say was that one of the key players was on vacation. They then assumed you should have known not to take vacation during this particular project.

Being that it's your brothers wedding, you really had to be there, but many businesses don't care about little details like that at the upper levels. They only see the bottom line, and whoever contributes to it.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Look - you do whatever you want - but at least Read this first...

I've been sent in the "search" mode for postings like yours - and have been on the hiring evaluation side of things. This article covers much of what I know from the corporate world. Companies are rarely anything but intolerant of workers publically airing their grievances.

I especially agree with...

Before using your blog to vent about workplace problems, try to solve them through the usual channels.
    Your situation may be frustrating - and in YOUR VIEW unfair - but there are two sides to every story. Viewing something as a "firing" may in fact be a "restructuring".

I don't know your specific circumstances, but from the sounds of what you said about the project - this was a HUGE project for your company. ANY failure on the company's part could jeopardize their whole project - costing lots of bananas.

Reality is - all of us can be replaced. Many of us are doing the job of 2 and 3 people (if we view it that way). Your bosses should have recognized you needed help - but you should have also been planful and requisitioned the needed support as a project MANAGER. If you failed to recognize it - don't be so willing to take it all on the next time. Give careful consideration to the necessary resources.

Take the advice of your company to heart - think about how you can do it better next time and prepare for that moment. And fer cripes sake - DO NOT whine out loud! Your company is most likely closely monitoring you to see what your reaction to this "failure" is - and it's up to you to fall flat on your face - or shine like a star.

Just remember - your actions could cost you far more than your one project...
    Last edited by ggiese; 09-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Sorry to hear this happen to you, Jon. It looks like it's time to look for a new job, bro!

Look for a company that would recognize your abilities and not put you infront of the bus.

Seems like you are a scape-goat.

Andrew

ggiese, thanks for the article. It was pretty informative. I definitely am taking my companies advice to heart and will do my best in the future. I intend to be the star, and your other points are well noted.

Sorry to hear that Jon. Try to stay positive, it could have been a lot worse. Learn from it and don't let it ruin your confidence in yourself or the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    ggiese, thanks for the article. It was pretty informative. I definitely am taking my companies advice to heart and will do my best in the future. I intend to be the star, and your other points are well noted.
    Good luck to you - sounds like you have a pretty steep hill ahead of you. However, you wouldn't have been entrusted with the task if they didn't at some level feel confident in your skills.

The glass is half full, my friend...

Thread Information