Thread: Shipping Cigars: A paranoid man's how-to

Default Shipping Cigars: A paranoid man's how-to

I was getting ready to ship some cigars for a trade, and I realized that there were no threads that I could find on how to ship cigars safely. I went searching around on the web a bit and this is what I found:
    (I'm still a newbie with cigars, but I worked for my mother packaging for her ebay business, and recently shipped 7000$ of fine bone china without cracking a single piece)

As with anything fragile, layers is the key here: put each cigar into a ziploc bag, making sure to remove as much air as possible.
    4"x8" ziploc: 100 for 6$
    http://metapot.com/product.php?productid=1794
    100 baggies for $6, although you pay about another $6 in shipping. You could probably use regular ziplocs, but these are very good for cigars due to their size (fits up to five churchills snuggly) and I believe them to be a bit thicker, although I'd have to order some to make sure.

Be careful here if you're shipping multiple cigars. If the cigars are not wrapped in cellophane, it may be a good idea to go ahead and give each cigar its own bag. Cigars can have a tendency to rub against each other within the bag, thus chipping/tearing/ruining your cigars.

This part is optional, although I would recommend it:
    Take the ziploc filled with cigars, and insert it into a bubble wrapped bag, or wrap it in bubblewrap. This gives the cigars a bit of protection within their box. The idea here is to wrap the cigars in something soft to protect them, and fill the rest of the box with whatever you want: packing peanuts are the best in my opinion, but newspaper will work fairly well.
    Bubblewrap bags: 6 for $7
    http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...93720#desclink
    Bubblewrap:
    Bubblewrap is something you don't really want to ship, just because its so big. I recommend Office Depot to buy it in smaller quantities. It runs about 6$ for a 15 square foot roll if you find the right brand.

If you choose to not bubblewrap the cigars: you still need to fill the box with packaging material. Packing peanuts are ideal, but newspaper can work just as well. I'm paranoid and think that newspaper will tend to settle and compress over long distances, so I prefer packing peanuts or massive amounts of bubblewrap.

Rule of thumb when packing something to mail: If you can shake it, they can break it. Essentially, once you're done packing, hold the box closed (don't seal it) and shake the box: if you hear something moving, add more packaging.

Now for your actual box: What we want to do here is get a slightly smaller box inside of a bigger box. It raises your shipping costs a little bit, but the boxes are free from USPS, and you could very well be shipping a lot of value in cigars! The idea with double boxing is that if someone hits the outer box it doesn't touch the cigars on the inner box because there's a layer of newspaper or some other packing material between the cardboard that you can see, and the cardboard protecting the cigars. How many times have you gotten a box with a nice half inch deep cut into the cardboard? Imagine if that cut was right over your poor stogies! Double box. It works like a charm. Generally we want a bit more space between the boxes, but we're not trying to isolate them from movement, just give them a bit more protection.

Boxes, both available for free from USPS in boxes of ten or twenty-five.
    Small box "8.625" x "5.375" x "1.625"
    http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1645&langId=-1
    Large box: 9.25" x 6.25" x 2"
    http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1643&langId=-1

Just a note: These boxes HAVE to be used for priority shipping through USPS. It may run a bit more expensive, but they're fast (2-3 days), have delivery confirmation/tracking and will insure your packages for pretty cheap ($1.10 per 100$ value last time I checked). I believe it will cost $4.60 with delivery confirmation if the package weighs less than a pound.
    Note #2: USPS doesn't provide free tape anymore. They were having problems with people, quite literally, wrapping their packages in tape. The new boxes are designed to work without tape, but you should still tape them to be sure. One strip along the seams will be more than adequate.

The idea here is to package the cigars like you normally would within the smaller box, shake it to see if anything moves, then seal it up. Place the small box inside the larger box and surround it with packing material (newspaper, bubble wrap, peanuts, etc) although be aware it won't take a lot because these boxes are so close in size.

Once you have everything placed into the larger box, seal it up and slap a mailing label on there and its ready to go! This is my take on how to package cigars, and I take a very paranoid stance on packaging so if you choose not to use the whole method, the ideas are still the same. When I package for my trade I'll try to get some pictures so that you can see everything.

Other ideas:

Place the cigars into a ziploc bag, and tape the bag to the inside of the box. Saves supplies (read: money) while still protecting fairly well.
    Pros: Cheap
    Cons: If somebody happens to hit the spot where the cigar is...

Tubes!
    http://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=152
    Pros: They're protected. Really well!
    Cons: At $3 a tube, this is a bad idea for large shipments.
    I would recommend this for review passes, though. Whomever starts the pass ships in tubes, and the tubes go from person to person within the pass. You could probably use an envelope with these, or I would tape them to the inside of a box for better protection.

Humidity:
    If you want to keep your cigars humidified during their cross-country journey, water pillows seem to be the way to go
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewciga...rod=M-HMC07-10
    At 10 for $15, they're a pretty good deal if you're shipping a good bit. Again, this might be a good idea for review passes--just send one along with the box along with a couple tubes!
    This should be considered a necessity if you're shipping to a different country

Did I miss anything? I want to work out the kinks and send this thread onto some of the other forums because I couldn't find anything very detailed anywhere... At least not that had links updated since 2004

You should look into the rules about shipping tobacco products via USPS. And, shipping across a border via any method.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    You should look into the rules about shipping tobacco products via USPS. And, shipping across a border via any method.
    I can't even find the word "cigar" on the USPS site. There's a bit to-do about cigarettes and smokeless tobaccos, but nothing about cigars. As for shipping across borders, that varies wildly due to a lot of people not using the USPS, but I couldn't really find anything, other than the obvious shipping to/from Cuba.

What I found was that shipping seeds or plants is restricted, as are lighters (As far as I can tell on lighters, they just can't leave the ground)

I have found that if you just box everything up normally, and you say no when they ask if there is anything dangerous inside, there are no problems. Its when you walk into a UPS store with a bunch of cigars and ask them to box and ship them for you that you will have issues.
    End of line.

From what I found through some quick research was that UPS, Fedex, and DHL have stopped shipping tobacco products; however, USPS is still okay with it. The federal government wanted to crack down on USPS because there were problems with online cigarette shipping (shipping to minors, evaded taxes, etc) although I found nothing on cigars, it was pretty much only about cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.

man not to offend you but you sound like my wife just package the cigars at home and ship it that easy it not like cloak and dagger ..... just ship

sorry man i have never had a problem and you not going to spent a day in the fed pin for a thousand cigars

Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiates View Post
    From what I found through some quick research was that UPS, Fedex, and DHL have stopped shipping tobacco products; however, USPS is still okay with it. The federal government wanted to crack down on USPS because there were problems with online cigarette shipping (shipping to minors, evaded taxes, etc) although I found nothing on cigars, it was pretty much only about cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.
    Just got a shipment via UPS last week. I'm wrong about USPS though - was thinking there was some issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpollock View Post
    man not to offend you but you sound like my wife just package the cigars at home and ship it that easy it not like cloak and dagger ..... just ship

sorry man i have never had a problem and you not going to spent a day in the fed pin for a thousand cigars

Dustin
    I've never had huge problems either. I was thinking there was some rule with USPS about not mailing cigars. I guess I was thinking about mailing to Canada. I'm just in the habit of not saying what's in the box. Was thinking of clarification for the sake of accuracy in a "shipping" thread. I think there a few points to be made . . . I've received cigars that are dried out - both from fellow BsOTL, and from retailers. I've seen passes get lost - with and without DC #'s, and other issues as well. And other etc. shit as well. I agree with you, mailing a cigar is dick simple. But it can be made a little more foolproof.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Packaging is the issue. None of the shippers will fail to take your money and deliver the box, but don't try to claim insurance if they fail. I lost count of boxes I've shipped long ago and have never had a complaint. There is no shortage of horror stories, though. Point is, you take a chance any time you ship. Most vendors stop short of guaranteeing (NC's), but almost all will make good your order if there is a problem. Those that don't (comma) make the shit list quickly (for a multitude of reasons). New guys, if you have a question about a NC vendor, don't hesitate to ask. There are plenty of us who can advise you.
    Last edited by NullSmurf; 10-03-2008 at 09:18 PM.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Good info, Just pack it up at home and send it. I think through my studies here the sender is responsible for the delivery? Say if it was for a trade or such.

Rich

Thread Information