Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to cigars

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow0104 View Post
    I got the Acid's in yesterday. They are a little on the sweet side for me. A little like smoking ribbon candy at first, then it's like a clove. I'll try some of the other here soon. I will do the newbie sampler, but will have to wait a while.
    Thanks for the help.
    NOOOOOOO!!! Dude seriously back away from the Acids. Someone was poking fun at you when they told you to go after Acids. The joke is a result of the fact that like Macanudos Acids are a popular cigar that is popular for the wrong reason. Acids get bought by young guys in college or fresh out of high school that are looking to look cool and see a box with a dude on a motorcycle and say hey that's for me. They are a flavored cigar that tastes like shit frankly. Generally if it's a cigar and it's flavored stay away from it. As far as Macanudos go they are the most sold cigar in the US for a reason, they are well known and everybody sells them, beyond that they just aren't that great. Overpriced and lacking any memorable qualities, like smoking air. There are many other mild smokes out there for you to try that are about half the price of a Mac and just as good. Oliva G's or O's would do you nice, Punch will treat you alright, Montesino, Arturo Fuente 858's, all cigars that are in the mild to medium range and all quality. Also don't take a Macanudo Maduro and let that be your judge of other Maduros if you want a good maduro you got to go somewhere else for that. Try a La Gloria Cubana maduro, a Padron, a Fuente all make good maduros, the Oliva G maduro is darn good too. If you feel like something that is pretty darn cheap and still good for a maduro check out the Sancho Panza double Maduro.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    look cool and see a box with a dude on a motorcycle and say hey that's for me. They are a flavored cigar that tastes like shit frankly.
    Funny you mention that. It seems like all the bikers I see that come into the B&M I frequent (and the proprietor can vouch for this as well, as he brought it to my attention in the first place) usually buy the flavored cigars. Does anyone else find this odd? He was telling me that when the big, biker-looking guys come in, they used to sell these lavender-flavored cigars, and they couldn't keep them on the shelves.

Now that I think about it, if they like them, more power to them. They aren't for me, but shouldn't cigar smoking be subjective, anyway?

I second the Sancho Panzas as well - especially the XF's (extra fuerte).

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Funny you mention that. It seems like all the bikers I see that come into the B&M I frequent (and the proprietor can vouch for this as well, as he brought it to my attention in the first place) usually buy the flavored cigars. Does anyone else find this odd? He was telling me that when the big, biker-looking guys come in, they used to sell these lavender-flavored cigars, and they couldn't keep them on the shelves.

Now that I think about it, if they like them, more power to them. They aren't for me, but shouldn't cigar smoking be subjective, anyway?

I second the Sancho Panzas as well - especially the XF's (extra fuerte).
    Oh heck yeah cigars are definitely subjective, I just wouldn't ever point someone towards flavored smokes. More power to anyone who partakes in any cigar as long as you like it smoke it. Just not my cup you know. Oh and if you happen to smoke them around me and my buddies you may get made fun of for a bit but hey it is all just ball busting.
    Hoban Washburn

Blog Entries

NOOOOOOO!!! Dude seriously back away from the Acids. Someone was poking fun at you when they told you to go after Acids. The joke is a result of the fact that like Macanudos Acids are a popular cigar that is popular for the wrong reason. Acids get bought by young guys in college or fresh out of high school that are looking to look cool and see a box with a dude on a motorcycle and say hey that's for me. They are a flavored cigar that tastes like shit frankly. Generally if it's a cigar and it's flavored stay away from it. As far as Macanudos go they are the most sold cigar in the US for a reason, they are well known and everybody sells them, beyond that they just aren't that great. Overpriced and lacking any memorable qualities, like smoking air. There are many other mild smokes out there for you to try that are about half the price of a Mac and just as good. Oliva G's or O's would do you nice, Punch will treat you alright, Montesino, Arturo Fuente 858's, all cigars that are in the mild to medium range and all quality. Also don't take a Macanudo Maduro and let that be your judge of other Maduros if you want a good maduro you got to go somewhere else for that. Try a La Gloria Cubana maduro, a Padron, a Fuente all make good maduros, the Oliva G maduro is darn good too. If you feel like something that is pretty darn cheap and still good for a maduro check out the Sancho Panza double Maduro.
    Yeah, I was being a dick......please don't tell me you took my suggestion seriously. I would hate to think someone could actually say they bought an Acid on my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Yeah, I was being a dick......please don't tell me you took my suggestion seriously. I would hate to think someone could actually say they bought an Acid on my advice.
    That's something that I would do. But you know some of the noobs don't know the difference and then when you go to CI and see that Acids are like one of their top sellers it's actually believable. Shit I just don't know what this world is coming to.

People smoking Acids, Macs, and with all these really great sticks out there. I would suggest feeding them to the goats but then you don't want dead goats either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    That's something that I would do. But you know some of the noobs don't know the difference and then when you go to CI and see that Acids are like one of their top sellers it's actually believable. Shit I just don't know what this world is coming to.

People smoking Acids, Macs, and with all these really great sticks out there. I would suggest feeding them to the goats but then you don't want dead goats either.
    Yeah, wish I had thought that through before I made my post. Scarecrow, PM me your addy maybe I can help you out a bit. I apologize for f'in with you when I shouldn't have.

Blog Entries

Yeah, wish I had thought that through before I made my post. Scarecrow, PM me your addy maybe I can help you out a bit. I apologize for f'in with you when I shouldn't have.
    Nice gesture, ashauler!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

No harm done. Acid's are what my buddy would call cheerleader beer. Now I know better.
    It is a nice gesture Ashauler. But you don't have to do that.

Is the Kuba Kuba going to be like the blondie? I only ordered one, it will be in on Monday. Dose anyone like them? I don't think I will smoke it. Would it work for catfish bait?
    Last edited by scarecrow0104; 10-15-2008 at 11:50 PM.

I've updated my list. I'll try them and let you know. Thanks for the info.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow0104 View Post
    No harm done. Acid's are what my buddy would call cheerleader beer. Now I know better.
    It is a nice gesture Ashauler. But you don't have to do that.

Is the Kuba Kuba going to be like the blondie? I only ordered one, it will be in on Monday. Dose anyone like them? I don't think I will smoke it. Would it work for catfish bait?
    Kuba Kuba is the first and only Acid I have ever tried. A couple of friends and me have a regular get together about once a week and we had talked a lot of shit about Drew Estate and Acid cigars finally we decided to pick one up for each of us and give it a try since we didn't want to be the dicks ragging on something without any experience. So we all light up and start smoking and well we then all put it out after getting maybe a third of it smoked. It was bad enough that even though we usually bring a replacement stick with us in case the one we try isn't all that great or in case we decide it's a 2 cigar night, we couldn't even bring ourselves to light up our backups. We just packed it in and went home. I do have to say if you ordered it you might as well take a couple puffs but be prepared to chuck it if it stinks.
    Hoban Washburn

Kuba Kuba is the first and only Acid I have ever tried. A couple of friends and me have a regular get together about once a week and we had talked a lot of shit about Drew Estate and Acid cigars finally we decided to pick one up for each of us and give it a try since we didn't want to be the dicks ragging on something without any experience. So we all light up and start smoking and well we then all put it out after getting maybe a third of it smoked. It was bad enough that even though we usually bring a replacement stick with us in case the one we try isn't all that great or in case we decide it's a 2 cigar night, we couldn't even bring ourselves to light up our backups. We just packed it in and went home. I do have to say if you ordered it you might as well take a couple puffs but be prepared to chuck it if it stinks.
    I was fishing when I smoked the Blondie. I had to spit a lot. The amount of saliva generated while smoking was bad. When I get done smoking I'll chew the stump of a cigar for awhile. Not the acid. I think it's still in the boat.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

I just unloaded the Kuba Kuba on a friend who likes flavored cigars. He smoked about a third of the thing before setting it down. He had the same reaction to the Kuba Kuba as I did to the Blondies. Way too sweet. He told me we could not be friends if I was going to try to poison him. I made good with a Punch.

Ashauler, your the man. Thanks for the sticks. Your a stand up guy. Thanks!

I read the first post and giggled. Try and make sure you go out and do some research. Pick up some new and exciting brands and try them out.

Get back to us!

Thread Information