Thread: First Humidor

Default First Humidor

Hey all I am thinking about purchasing my first humidor. I am looking at this one:
    http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchan...oduct_Count=22

I want a smaller one since Im on a studnet budget and if I get a big one I know ill be tempted to spend way too much money filling it ;) Anyone have any knowledge of wether this is a quality purchase or not?

Save your money and go bigger bro. I understand you're on a student budget, but buying a bigger one now will save you money in the long one. Go as big as your budget will allow. This "Hobby" is very addicting so whether it's now or later, whatever humi you get will be overflowing before you know it. I've only been seriously into cigars for about 6 months and have over 300 sticks. I have a 150ct, 25ct and several empty cigar boxes and a small cooler that house all my treasures and they are bursting. Gotta get a bigger cooler soon. Good luck.

Blog Entries

I disagree with SmokinTaz, but I do think you need to select a bigger humidor. I've seen so many people want to get into this, buy a humidor, a bunch of cigars, then lose interest. That's an expensive mistake.

How much willpower do you have? How often do you plan on smoking? Without knowing these answers, I would suggest you find a 50 count humidor or so, and slowly begin to fill it up. You'll figure out what you like and what you don't, maybe buying a box every once in a while or trading with someone here. Have you checked out the newbie sampler thread? Talked to people at your local B&M?

All I'm saying is, make the educated decision. It's easy to go overboard here. Takes time to do it right.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Having gone through this a few months ago and having learned the hard away, here's an I-wasted-my-money-don't-waste-yours post

First of all, everybody has different definitions of "quality."

MHO is that humi is selling for about what it should sell for. The first paragraph of the description is ignorable. Pick up a digital hygro at Walmart for under $7, and you're good to go ... almost. you need at least some PG solution - they want $7 for that. Shipping? Another $7 (depends). So we're up to $38.

So, is it a "quality" humi for $38? If you want a decent-looking small MDF box without vendor graphics, then, well, that's what you're getting. If not, then you can probably do better on the cigar store auction sites.

However, if you want the best for your cigars for that much money regardless of appearance, then no, I would say that there are better quality solutions. For example:

A half-pound of known-good beads (not the ones from that humidor place) are about $21 shipped. You can get a Coleman 28-qt marine cooler for $18.88 you-know-where, but with good beads a hygro is a luxury, not an absolute necessity. So for $40, you will have one of the better storage environments for cigars, regardless of price (as long as you keep your cigars in boxes or cello, If you don't have a bunch of boxes, use sealed glass jars (like mason jars) to take up some of the interior space.)

A cooler-dor won't look as nice as a humi, though, and people will always be opening the cooler looking for beer.

Hope this helps!
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Having gone through this a few months ago and having learned the hard away, here's an I-wasted-my-money-don't-waste-yours post

First of all, everybody has different definitions of "quality."

MHO is that humi is selling for about what it should sell for. The first paragraph of the description is ignorable. Pick up a digital hygro at Walmart for under $7, and you're good to go ... almost. you need at least some PG solution - they want $7 for that. Shipping? Another $7 (depends). So we're up to $38.

So, is it a "quality" humi for $38? If you want a decent-looking small MDF box without vendor graphics, then, well, that's what you're getting. If not, then you can probably do better on the cigar store auction sites.

However, if you want the best for your cigars for that much money regardless of appearance, then no, I would say that there are better quality solutions. For example:

A half-pound of known-good beads (not the ones from that humidor place) are about $21 shipped. You can get a Coleman 28-qt marine cooler for $18.88 you-know-where, but with good beads a hygro is a luxury, not an absolute necessity. So for $40, you will have one of the better storage environments for cigars, regardless of price (as long as you keep your cigars in boxes or cello, If you don't have a bunch of boxes, use sealed glass jars (like mason jars) to take up some of the interior space.)

A cooler-dor won't look as nice as a humi, though, and people will always be opening the cooler looking for beer.

Hope this helps!
    I would agree with this. If you do decide to keep your interest in smoking, later buy a nice 50 count humi to show your sticks. If you don't, you have a new cooler for your beer and you can always sell the beads and hygro(which I suggest you get).

If you buy that humi, you will still need a hygro for sure and then beads or solution.

Where can you get the beads? I just bought my first real humidor a little over a week ago and am using the stock humidifier that came with it. I think its that foam cell stuff. I have not seen the beads yet...

Thanks!
    Martin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
    Where can you get the beads? I just bought my first real humidor a little over a week ago and am using the stock humidifier that came with it. I think its that foam cell stuff. I have not seen the beads yet...

Thanks!
    Martin.
    Welcome to the board Martin. There are multiple places you can pick up beads, do a search on here and you'll find them.

Thanks!

Hey Samurai, tried to respond last week but was held from posting for seveeral days.

CI currently has a deal for a humidor bigger than the one you are looking at along with 8 premium cigars for $15.

http://www.cigarsintl.com/sa819B

I think this is a great deal for beginners.

Genrally speaking, other than this deal, I would suggest looking for a deal like this including a 40 count humidor. Big enough and cheap enough to start with.

I think most will agree that a humidors claimed capacity is about 30% higher than the box will actually hold in full-sized cigars. IOW, you can probably fit about 10 mixed cigars in the 10-15 count you are looking at.

Most small boxes (and most medium and surprisingly quite a few large) will fit Churchills and long torpedoes only one way. The humidiifier in small boxes is often thicker than the depth of the lid, so it precludes making two layers of cigars as the humidifier intrudes into the box space.

That brings me to beads. I do not recommend them for small boxes - there simply is not enough room for a dish of beads in them.

I recommend crystal gel which comes in a compact jar and is a product veery forgiving of user 'malfeasance'.

What do you guys use for containers for the beads?

One more thing - you don't "need hygro for sure". Distilled water at $1 a gallon works fine. I only recommend hygro fluid if you are uing the OE dry sponge humidifier and even then not exclusively . Every 3rd time or so.
    Last edited by FNA; 11-08-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Blog Entries

That particular sampler is very mild, I think. Better than the first humi, less expensive, plus cigars
    My bead containers range from small 'aquarium media bags' to cigar-sized tubes (1"dia) to replacements for foam humidifiers, trays, etc. The aquarium bags are the least expensive (under $1.50), the most functional, and the ugliest. The coarse mesh contains broken bead bits, but not dust. Tape/velcro the bag to the lid for more room for cigars.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by FNA View Post
    Hey Samurai, tried to respond last week but was held from posting for seveeral days.

CI currently has a deal for a humidor bigger than the one you are looking at along with 8 premium cigars for $15.

http://www.cigarsintl.com/sa819B

I think this is a great deal for beginners.

Genrally speaking, other than this deal, I would suggest looking for a deal like this including a 40 count humidor. Big enough and cheap enough to start with.

I think most will agree that a humidors claimed capacity is about 30% higher than the box will actually hold in full-sized cigars. IOW, you can probably fit about 10 mixed cigars in the 10-15 count you are looking at.

Most small boxes (and most medium and surprisingly quite a few large) will fit Churchills and long torpedoes only one way. The humidiifier in small boxes is often thicker than the depth of the lid, so it precludes making two layers of cigars as the humidifier intrudes into the box space.

That brings me to beads. I do not recommend them for small boxes - there simply is not enough room for a dish of beads in them.

I recommend crystal gel which comes in a compact jar and is a product veery forgiving of user 'malfeasance'.

One more thing - you don't "need hygro for sure". Distilled water at $1 a gallon works fine. I only recommend hygro fluid if you are uing the OE dry sponge humidifier and even then not exclusively . Every 3rd time or so.
    I disagree with you on a few points. First, for various reasons, I'd probably never send my money to CI. Second, along with others who have already offered sound advice, I think a larger humidor is probably a good idea, and cheaper in the long run especially if a cooler is used. Third, beads are good for any size of humidor, and to answer your question, anything that has unrestricted permeability, will fit in the humidor, and not take up much space will work as a container for beads; e.g., small bags designed especially for containing beads, partitioned off so as not to dampen a cigar. Panty hose will work too. Wash them first. An aluminum cigar tube with small holes punched in it will work. So, there simply is room for beads in even a small box. Fourth, I disagree with you on your use of the word "malfeasance", when either "error" or "neglect" would fit better and even be more accurate in the instant context. I think I feel the same way about when you use the word "preclude" and how this and "prevent" both connote similar meanings having to do with barriers, yet are somewhat differently nuanced. But It's too late to think about it anymore when mostly I'm wondering what it was that compelled you to sign up here only in order to attempt to trump others' sound (as I've already mentioned) offerings, with no introduction, no credibility at least on this board, and no good idea of what you are fucking talking about.

Welcome to the board. I think.
    Last edited by basil; 11-09-2008 at 03:50 AM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    snip... I'm wondering what it was that compelled you to sign up here only in order to attempt to trump others' sound (as I've already mentioned) offerings, with no introduction, no credibility at least on this board, and no good idea of what you are fucking talking about.

Welcome to the board. I think.
    Ditto........sniff, sniff, sniff.....is that a familiar smell I'm getting.

Thread Information