Thread: Inherited Humidor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Inherited Humidor

A family member of mine passed away last year and left his humidor to me, which I am about to receive. I don’t have the specifics on it but he was quite the Aficionado and I am told that it is a really nice unit. The only problem is that nobody has taken care of it since he passed away. I am told that it was emptied shortly after his passing so it has not had any cigars in it but I have has also been told that is has not been properly hydrated and most likely kept close during this time. I am wondering what, if any damage it could have suffered. If any damage could have occurred, what should I look for and what can I do to bring it back to life. I want to make sure that everything is OK before I put any of my babies in their new home.

Welcome to CS. If it's really dry, you may consider wiping down the inside with distilled water and letting it dry. Make sure there's no excess water in there, place a small bowl with distilled water in it inside, shut the lid and let it sit for 24 hoursish.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I would guess your humidor hasn't suffered any long-term damage. I mean, it is a wooden box, and they don't come ready to go. If I were you, I would air it out for a day or so, then lightly dust it out with a rag, with no solvents or pledge or anything weird like that. Then wipe the insides out with distilled water. If it is a high-end humidor, it will be made of spanish cedar. The distilled water won't hurt it. I put a plastic bag in the middle of my humidor, then a damp rag of distilled water, and left it alone for a couple of days before I started using it.

If it already has a humidification device, I would probably look to replace it, at the least. Better yet, get yourself some beads from Heartfelt Industries. I think they last longer and are a better product than a humidifier. Then, fill your new humidor up from Camino Viejo cigar shop, and you'll be all ready to go. You should post some pics. I'd like to see what an older humidor looks like.

Oh, and hello from central Oregon.
    Last edited by mrtr33; 10-09-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: linkys

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Yeah you should be cool, just bring up the humidity slowly. Personally, I wouldn't wipe it down. If the wood is really dry it could swell and crack. Just put a shot glass of distilled water in there and keep it full for a couple of weeks then do the beads. You should be cool. Or just do the beads for a month or two.

Blog Entries

1. Sorry to hear of your loss.

2. Welcome to cigarsmoker.com, please tell us a little about yourself.

3, Depends on the condition of the humidor and how well it is constructed. If it's been working fine for many years, then bringing it back online shouldn't be a problem. I had to do the same thing to my Humi when I returned from Iraq in January.

Here's a guide to set up the humi. (Click Me) Please read the whole post before you set it up. In your case, I would recommend, like Nhcigarfan said, use a shot glass and bring it back to life slowly. However, remember, you will need cigars to set it up with and eventually make it stable.

Lopaka
    Last edited by Lopaka; 10-09-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    1. Sorry to hear of your loss.

2. Welcome to cigarsmoker.com, please tell us a little about yourself.

3, Depends on the condition of the humidor and how well it is constructed. If it's been working fine for many years, then bringing it back online shouldn't be a problem. I had to do the same thing to my Humi when I returned from Iraq in January.

Here's a guide to set up the humi. (Click Me) However, remember, you will need cigars to set it up with and eventually make it stable.

Lopaka
    mere seconds....

Blog Entries

Great Minds think alike.

What happened to the sticks inside, you could of had a killer stash had they not been thrown away.
    Believe Dat!

Welcome from NY.

I agree with ReV and mrtr. But I want to add that you should pick up a digital hydrometer as well. I would also thoroughly inspect the humidor for mold just in case.
    Also read this thread by Lopaka:
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t3814-th...a-humidor.html
    Step by step instructions on setting up your humidor that has worked flawlessly for many of us(if not all of us).

And post a little intro about yourself.

Thread Information