Thread: mild suggestions for a newbie

Default mild suggestions for a newbie

hey all!, i've been lurking for a few days now and absolutely LOVE the info and honest opinions you guys give. as for me: I have been smoking cigars for 2 years now; ever since i met my fiance's dad. He had been my soul source for cigars for a while, keeping my small 20 count humi stocked with some new auction prize that he just wasn't crazy about. Now i have a crappy 100 count display humi i got on ebay for $30, my small humi, and a smaller travel humi.....all filled to the brim!!! i have finally decided at least that i like mild to medium smokes. I recently purchased a box of Oliveros Classic toros, and a box of Eros (a Thomson house brand), both of which i actually enjoy. i also have Puros Indios Piramides, Nestor Placentia 2004's, Padilla special edition 2006, and a victor Sinclair vintage select (i have not yet smoked the last two).

My question is what mild or medium sticks would you guys recommend me that are cheap (i'm a student, so i'm broke)? It's so hard to tell if i'm getting a good deal through Thomson or CI.

Thanks in advance for the advice! (the perfect smiley for an excited young newb such as me!)

Welcome from Central Texas.

I think you've got a good start. For pricing I would suggest shopping the on-line stores and compare. Someone is always running a special because they're overstocked. I would be careful of close-outs. If a line is not moving there is usually good reason. Once in a while you can find a sleeper or maybe a new line that hasn't caught on. Check out some of the samplers. They are usually a good buy and you can try new sticks.

A recommendation for a mild-medium is Georges from Famous. Made by Oliva they are consistant good quality. I like the Robustos.

Keep us informed.

I just started smoked recently and prefer mild-medium cigars, and I'm a student as well, so I feel the budget troubles. Personally, I prefer to smoke a quality stick once or twice a week rather than a couple cheap-os; however, if you're looking for a good, cheap smoke, I've been told that Flor de Oliva is very good (30$ for a bundle of 25? VERY cheap.)

As for a bit higher quality smoke, I tried out a Perdomo Champagne Churchill, and loved it. The smoke itself was a bit spicy, but it finished distinctly sweet and extremely smooth. It got a little boring for me about halfway through the stick, but I started walking around and chatting to people at my B&M, so I quit paying attention to the cigar, so I couldn't tell you precisely how the last half smoked. I felt like I was a bit bored with it, so I would recommend a robusto instead. You can pick up a five pack from Famoussmoke.com for 20$.

Devil's weed is also very good. It's a very flavorful mild-medium cigar. It's more of a boutique brand, and hard to get on the internet; the only site that I know of that stocks singles is silocigars.com (direct link: http://www.silocigars.com/advanced_s...s+weed&x=0&y=0) but if you want boxes you can check out vcigars.com

Also, if you hop over to CI their weekly special is a Rocky Patel Connecticut wrapper right now I believe. Haven't smoked one, but seems like it would be pretty mild.

thanks you guys! I will definitely check those out.

Welcome from Colorado.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. If you like milder smokes, give La Tradicion Cubana a shot. They are my favorite morning cigars and go great with coffee. Not too expensive either.
    Last edited by hex1848; 10-12-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I'm new here also, but would like to add my suggestions for a mild to medium stick.

CAO Gold and the Gold Maduro
    Arganese Connecticut or Double Wrap
    Perdomo Habano Connecticut - This stick may be a little more expensive, but it has a lot of flavor for a Conn.
    Oliva Series G Maduro

I'm more of a medium to full flavored cigar, but the above sticks are what I look for when I'm in a lighter mood.

Paul

Blog Entries

That tune sounds familiar.....both my wife and her dad got me into smoking cigars.

I generally steer towards the fuller-bodied cigars, but enjoy a lighter smoke the two weeks that it's warm here.
    1. Fonseca Vintage
    2. Don Thomas Sun Grown

I also highly recommend the La Tradicion Cubana's Hex mentioned.

I like those Puros Indios Piramides as well.

Welcome to the board from central Oregon.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

sancho panza is an excellent mild-med cigar that can be had for around $4/stick.

Oliva makes really good mild to mediums the G and the O are both along those lines and are great cigars. Punch Rare Corojo I would classify as mild to medium as well and it is a great cigar for the money. For something cheap that is very mild you can go with a Gispert Natural, not full of flavor by any means but it does have more going on for it than Macanudo and is about half the price.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

welcome from central ohio. I too am a student, and my fav lighter smokes for cheap are the Oliva G, flor de Oliva, CAO Gold. Also my buddy really likes the cusano P1's so you may want to try those as well
    Mark 8:36

Blog Entries

Welcome from Kansas.

Thanks u guys. My "to try" list is getting huge! I'll never get through it!

Thread Information