Thread: How does a pass work?

1. Default

could someone help me understand the workings of a pass?

K&P

Quote Originally Posted by Korean&Proud

K&P
    basically, as i understand it. (i've never done one) one, or two people host a pass. they fill a cigar box with assorted cigars and it gets mailed from person to person. each person takes 4-6 (i think) cigars and puts the same number of cigars of equal or grerater value stick for stick. ISOMs for ISOMs.

3. Default

aah, so its just a trade of cigars. I got yah. ISOMS? thanks bro.

K&P

It's hard to describe a box pass in a few sentences. Here's a link that kinda describes the idea behind tradking cigars (a box pass):

Equal puts / takes

Some people view a box pass as a way to get a bunch more smokes than were sent out - a means of developing a larger cigar collection without the pain of having to buy them. If that is your intention, you are going to be sadly disappointed. That's not to say that you won't get more than you sent out, but you really don't have any control over what people put and take. And generally, if you are not satisified with what someone trades, it can cause bad feelings (BIG flame wars)...

Therefore - I suggest before you start a pass - get to know people on the board and develop friendships. A friend is less likely to burn you on a trade than a total stranger. That goes both ways!! If you have something a friend wants, wouldn't you just generously give it to them? The same works the opposite way.

A pass is really a way for others to try cigars they probably couldn't or wouldn't normally get. ISOM's is a great example, but not all passes contain ISOM's - plus trading for ISOM's requires you to have ISOM's to begin with (generally, that is pass rules). There are generally rare and hard to find cigars in passes, if the host has a decent collection - or the particiipants are generous.

I'd suggest you watch the pass threads - see what others do - watch puts and takes - converse with the participants to learn why certain things were done (what the value of cigars are - why someone put one cigar and took another - etc.)... In general, develop a series of friendships. You reason for starting the pass will then be for the RIGHT reasons - you'll see!!

5. Default

I follow yah, thansk for teh explanation. I thought i had the gist of it but I can see where those friendships would make it more comfortable for others to trade and pass with you. I am relatively new to the cigar smoking thing so when I ask questions it always a cool experience to have cool people responding like this on ther other end. thanks

K&P

Quote Originally Posted by Korean&Proud

K&P
    You carefully box up all your premium cigars, pass them to the local postal clerk to be sent to me, and I occassionaly send you a picture of me enjoying the cigars. You will find it quite fullfilling.

ggiese hit it right on the head. The way I found out about a Pass was to read alot on "Cigar Passes In Progress" over at CigarPass.com Here

ISOM ?

For a definition of Cigar related acronyms, check out Cigar Forum Lingo Here

Sorry for all the links to CigarPass, but Rod does have alot of information posted

8. Default

Ive been doing alot of reading at cigar pass over the last day or so, seems liek an awesome place, I might just have to join in on the action over there.

K&P

9. Default

jesus christ, thats not just lingo thats another language. lol I liek the ISOM one. pretty clever

K&P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo
    You carefully box up all your premium cigars, pass them to the local postal clerk to be sent to me, and I occassionaly send you a picture of me enjoying the cigars. You will find it quite fullfilling.
    LMAO @ Shagaroo

TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information