Thread: How often?

Question How often?

Hey guys... got my Humidor back in February, so I'm fairly certain that the cedar has seasoned properly by now. My question is, how often should I refill the humidifier? It seems to stabilize around 65-66% and will sit there rock solid for a week or two and then will lose about 1 point a day until it gets down to around 54-55%. I think the 65-66% range is ideal and doesn't really go much higher as the humidor is over half-full But i don't want to take the chance of catching mold by refilling as soon as it drops to 64%. I guess in a nutshell, how low is too low?

I keep mine above 60 but high 50's probably wont do any harm.

I keep my cigars above 70% so when it gets in the 60's I add water
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo
    I keep mine above 60 but high 50's probably wont do any harm.
    I agree, any lower would do some damage for sure
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

I refill at about 60.

i had some cigars in my humidor that were in there for about a month or so when the humidity was only about 50% or so. i noticed when smoking one the other day that it was kind of hard when i cut it and fell apart some while smoking it. does this mean that it is dried out? if i just leave them in the humidor for a couple months will they go back to normal. i have now got my humidor to stablize at about 68% or so.

will they be okay??

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob33
    i had some cigars in my humidor that were in there for about a month or so when the humidity was only about 50% or so. i noticed when smoking one the other day that it was kind of hard when i cut it and fell apart some while smoking it. does this mean that it is dried out? if i just leave them in the humidor for a couple months will they go back to normal. i have now got my humidor to stablize at about 68% or so.

will they be okay??
    It could be dry, but it fell apart while you were smoking it? Sounds more like a bad cigar. Or a cigar that was stored very badly before you got your hands on it. Even keeping it at 50% for a month it shouldn't have done that. As for keeping it at 68%, it really shouldn't take a couple of months. Depending on the number of cigars and size of the humidor it could be anywhere from a couple of days to maybe two weeks. It all depends how full the humidor is. If you have a 50-cigar desk top with 10 or so cigars that are corona sized in it at 68% to 70% I would guess like about 5 days for them to reach the proper humidity. But again temperature does affect the ambient humidity and how willing your cigars would be to absorb moisture.

Crap - I'm dribbling on like that guy who is always leg-humping people.

also I keep mine at 70%

my humidor is pretty full now, i just bought a new stash the other day. will the humidor keep all of the cigars moistened the same ? do the cigars on top dry our quicker than the ones on the bottom of vice versa?

my humidor is pretty full now, i just bought a new stash the other day. will the humidor keep all of the cigars moistened the same ? do the cigars on top dry our quicker than the ones on the bottom of vice versa?
    i've wondered that myself

Excellent question... I've got some sticks stacked 3 deep in the bottom section that have been there about 6 months. I'm not sure if I should rotate them occasionally or leave them be...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

about every 15 or so days I rotate the cigars I am aging. That is probably excessive but I enjoy smelling them. My other humidor gets shuffled around more frequently as I decide what to have. I have been told to rotate once a month by the guy at the local cigar store.

Thread Information