Thread: Another value $2 cigar

Blog Entries

Default Another value $2 cigar

Smoked a Fincks 1893 Robusto last night while chatting with logan37 and bigwhiteash. Got this smoke in a recent trade with a BOTL here.

Robusto 5X54
    Wrapper: Nic sun-grown
    binder: ?
    Filler: Nic

This cigar has a very nice appearance, not heavily veined and no soft spots were detected. The cap was well applied and cut very nicely. The pre-light draw was very nice, tasting of well aged tobacco and earth. The light was uneventful, and the burn was right on from the start.

The first third was predominantly earth and tobacco, nicely rounded flavor with just enough power to keep it interesting. The smoke volume was great, and since it was a still night, it formed a nice cloud that hung around me allowing me to enjoy the aroma very much.

At about the half-way point a nice leather taste made its appearance on the finish and mixed in with the earthy tobacco flavor very, very nicely......right up my preference alley. Burn continued to be right on and the smoke remained dense and cool.

In the final third, the leather began to recede farther into the finish and was replaced by a nice little hint of chocolate. Boy, with the earthy tobacco flavor remaining as the foundation, the mix of the leather/chocolate really worked nicely and never stacked up to the point of harshness.

During the entire smoke, the ash held strong until I decided to break it off at about 2", and was a nice mainly white salt/pepper ash.

While this is certainly not a smoke to be savored with that special bottle of scotch or cognac.....it is a very worthwhile smoke. I'm gonna have to smoke a few more of these, but right now I can say I'm as excited about this $2 stick as I have been in awhile. Davidoff or Ashton its not.......but, imho a very good value stick.

EDIT TO ADD: Sorry I had to drop out so fast last night Dennis and Rich.....priority 1 spousal, uh, emergency.
    Last edited by ashauler; 10-31-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Nice review ash. It's always nice to have a decent inexpensive smoke around.

No worries about last night. You did miss your Opus X burn though. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Damn right!

We need more good $2.00 cigars!

Great review
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Nice review ash. It's always nice to have a decent inexpensive smoke around.

No worries about last night. You did miss your Opus X burn though. Thanks again.
    Shit..., I wanted to get your impressions.....guess I'll just wait for the review.

"Another value $2 cigar "

Good review. Now, if they are consistantly that good, you've got a winner. Have you tried one of the Georges (Oliva)? I picked up 4 boxes last night on a Famous auction.

Great review!! I am still in search of a good everyday smoke. I will pu these on my try list.

Thanks Rich

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    "Another value $2 cigar "

Good review. Now, if they are consistantly that good, you've got a winner. Have you tried one of the Georges (Oliva)? I picked up 4 boxes last night on a Famous auction.
    I have indeed smoked all the Georges that you so kindly sent me......very nice indeed. I have yet to re-stock on them, but X-mas is coming.

Good review Jamie - thanks for posting it.

DeDubya, they are mostly consistant, and inconsistancies are density issues; I've had a couple that are too loose. Flavor-wise they're pretty much as Jamie so eloquently described every time.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

9. Default Here's 1 of my daily smokes for about $2 a stick

Hey Guys-

Great site, I'm a newbie to this one; but some killer info on stogies.
    I'm always looking for a good daily smoke, and great weekend smokes.

I recently came across these after my neighbor brought over a couple Cuban Sancho Panza's.
    After doing some looking on Famous (for non-Cubans), I came across these and bought a box.

Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte Pamplona:
    http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/s...cfm/inum/19135

I was really impressed, a great smoke, not bitter, and a very consistent burn...

I haven't tried any of the other sizes, but I want to try some of these.

Sancho Panza Dulcinea:
    http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/s...cfm/inum/15517

Any thoughts on these or any other Sancho Panza's ??

Thanks-

Food for thought, thanks for the review.

Thanks for the Sancho Panza review. This is exactly what I am looking for! The FSS reviews were excellent and I am so tired of having to spend at least $5 to get a decent smoke. The price is more than reasonable and if I don’t like them I can always give them to my friends who don’t know any better!!

Thread Information