Thread: Books You're Reading While Having a Smoke

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Iced T Guest

Default Books You're Reading While Having a Smoke

Hey everybody, I know reading is a popular while-smoking activity. I was just wondering what everybody is reading at the moment. If not reading, what are you watching/listening to while enjoying your tobacco?

i've read fear and loathing in las vegas the past few days while smoking. sometimes, i read this place, or cigar magazine or cigar afficionado

My favorite activity while enjoying a cigar is reading a good book. I enjoy thrillers/adventures. I am currently reading Michaelangelo's Notebook that was just released in paperback. About 1/3 through and fairly exciting so far. For Christmas my wife bought me the illustrated version of the DaVinci Code. I thought it was excellent. I thought it was so good that I have since read Dan Browns 3 other books that I also highly recommend. Angels and Demons is probably even better than the DaVinci Code, especially if you like thrillers with the whole religious espionage background. I also couldn’t put down Deception point. Excellent thriller about NASA, a huge discovery, and a possible hoax. Great Great Great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guenzak
    My favorite activity while enjoying a cigar is reading a good book. I enjoy thrillers/adventures. I am currently reading Michaelangelo's Notebook that was just released in paperback. About 1/3 through and fairly exciting so far. For Christmas my wife bought me the illustrated version of the DaVinci Code. I thought it was excellent. I thought it was so good that I have since read Dan Browns 3 other books that I also highly recommend. Angels and Demons is probably even better than the DaVinci Code, especially if you like thrillers with the whole religious espionage background. I also couldn’t put down Deception point. Excellent thriller about NASA, a huge discovery, and a possible hoax. Great Great Great!!!!
    I actually read both books and thought Angel & Demons was better than DaVinci. I just ordered 3 more books from Half.com, 2 by Dan Brown and one other.

I recently read Dead in the Water by Stuart Woods. Very good read I thought. Currently reading the latest issue of Cigar Magazine.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

6. Default

Currently a Che Guevara biography! What else!!!!

I can also definitley recommend the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Very very VERY funny!

The Stand by Stephen Kind is also immensly entertaining (and if you can't be bothered to tackle its 800 or so pages you can always use it as a door stop to maintain your privacy as you enjoy your smoke!)

I'm currently reading Gunter Grass' The Tin Drum. Summer is my time to catch up on fiction for me. When I am not listening to the Dead of course

Usually though I'm flipping through a music or golf mag or just meditating on the waves hitting the beach.
    An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play, it is always possible to get worse.

Since my collection of unread books increased somewhat while I was in law school I am currently making my way through my stack of John Grisham books. I have already read The Partner, The Testament, and The Rainmaker (all since January).

Currently I am in the middle of The Chamber.

All have been very good.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Couple weeks ago i tried to read Moby Dick, but can't get myself to read that often, good book so far.

Default Reading?

What's that?

To date I don't think I've read anything outside of a magazine of newspaper while smoking. I generally smoke with a friend or if I'm alone I am usually working around the yard or just vegetating on the front porch.

I've never been a BIG reader, but I am well read with Douglas Adams, Clive Barker, Dean Koontz and a bit of Ursula K. LeGuin.

11. Default

As a Lawyer in Training, I usually research my cases while smoking. This might sound funny, but I enjoy an interesting Supreme Court decision when smoking a stogey.

Hey, a new guy here. Not to cigars (6 months) but more so to this board.

I've been reading a lot of history books while smoking. Reading a great book on Colonial US history (1565-1775) about the early colonists. Next book up is a history of the Republican party. Then on to a book about the history of the US expansion into the West, 1820-1890.

13. Default

I've been reading Divine Invasions: a life of Philip K. Dick by Lawrence Sutin.

It's inspiring me to reread some of my favorite Philip K. Dick books Ubik, A Scanner Darkly, etc after I'm done with it.

Before that was The Tower Of Babel: The Evidence Against The New Creationism by Robert Pennock. Pennock is an assistant professor of philosophy at UT Austin and he tackles the issues from a philosopher's perspective rather than a biologist's.
    Last edited by Corona Gigante; 08-23-2005 at 11:03 AM.
    Supreme Leader Voltron
    bending over and reaching for the Crisco

I'll have to see if my library has that book. I am about to read The Collected Stories of Philip K Dick, so I'll see if they have that one too.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information