Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books You're Reading While Having a Smoke

Iced T Guest

Default Books You're Reading While Having a Smoke

Hey everybody, I know reading is a popular while-smoking activity. I was just wondering what everybody is reading at the moment. If not reading, what are you watching/listening to while enjoying your tobacco?

i've read fear and loathing in las vegas the past few days while smoking. sometimes, i read this place, or cigar magazine or cigar afficionado

My favorite activity while enjoying a cigar is reading a good book. I enjoy thrillers/adventures. I am currently reading Michaelangelo's Notebook that was just released in paperback. About 1/3 through and fairly exciting so far. For Christmas my wife bought me the illustrated version of the DaVinci Code. I thought it was excellent. I thought it was so good that I have since read Dan Browns 3 other books that I also highly recommend. Angels and Demons is probably even better than the DaVinci Code, especially if you like thrillers with the whole religious espionage background. I also couldn’t put down Deception point. Excellent thriller about NASA, a huge discovery, and a possible hoax. Great Great Great!!!!

I'm currently reading Gunter Grass' The Tin Drum. Summer is my time to catch up on fiction for me. When I am not listening to the Dead of course

Usually though I'm flipping through a music or golf mag or just meditating on the waves hitting the beach.
    An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play, it is always possible to get worse.

Since my collection of unread books increased somewhat while I was in law school I am currently making my way through my stack of John Grisham books. I have already read The Partner, The Testament, and The Rainmaker (all since January).

Currently I am in the middle of The Chamber.

All have been very good.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Couple weeks ago i tried to read Moby Dick, but can't get myself to read that often, good book so far.

Default Reading?

What's that?

To date I don't think I've read anything outside of a magazine of newspaper while smoking. I generally smoke with a friend or if I'm alone I am usually working around the yard or just vegetating on the front porch.

I've never been a BIG reader, but I am well read with Douglas Adams, Clive Barker, Dean Koontz and a bit of Ursula K. LeGuin.

Iced T Guest

I highly reccomend "The Da Vinci Hoax" as a supplement read to "The Da Vinci Code" or on its own. That is what I'm reading now.

SFG75 Guest

Awesome thread!, a definite winner. I like a wide range of stuff. If I want to read something "out there" I'll try something like Galactic Alignment: The transformation of Consciousness. If I want something more down to earth, I take Coventrycat's recommendation of Michael Moore's "Dude, Where's my Country?"

I usually just veg out and watch the cars go by from my balcony but lately I've been listening to music with my Bose noise cancelling headphones. They block out almost all outside noise and I feel as though I'm in my own concert hall. I listen to all sorts of music from rock and pop to classical and jazz. It just depends on my mood. Last night I enjoyed a new CD I just got with the Smithereens greatest hits. Awesome stuff.

I have not yet read while smoking but I may have to give it a try after reading the posts of others. Great thread!

Michael

I read all kinds of stuff... havnt been smoking too much cuz i'm at home... but last time i read and smoked i was reading one of the "his dark materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman

their primarily intended for early teen readers... but I think an adult would like it more... their really excellent books...

right now i'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand its really good and well written, but it reads a bit slow so its taking me a while...
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

12. Default

well, I have my house wired for satellite and my bedroom is wired to my garage. My bedroom has a Tivo type recorder in it and with a remote that goes through the walls I can watch and control the bedroom from the garage. I am currently in the garage smoking a cigar while my son is in my bedroom watching that tv. This way I can monitor his viewing.

13. Default

Oh, We are watching Spy Kids 3

Lately I read cigar related material while smoking. Like the latest Cigar Aficionado. Or I will usually come online here and read while I smoke. I love to read something while I smoke though, that's for sure
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by guenzak
    My favorite activity while enjoying a cigar is reading a good book. I enjoy thrillers/adventures. I am currently reading Michaelangelo's Notebook that was just released in paperback. About 1/3 through and fairly exciting so far. For Christmas my wife bought me the illustrated version of the DaVinci Code. I thought it was excellent. I thought it was so good that I have since read Dan Browns 3 other books that I also highly recommend. Angels and Demons is probably even better than the DaVinci Code, especially if you like thrillers with the whole religious espionage background. I also couldn’t put down Deception point. Excellent thriller about NASA, a huge discovery, and a possible hoax. Great Great Great!!!!
    I actually read both books and thought Angel & Demons was better than DaVinci. I just ordered 3 more books from Half.com, 2 by Dan Brown and one other.

I recently read Dead in the Water by Stuart Woods. Very good read I thought. Currently reading the latest issue of Cigar Magazine.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

17. Default

Currently a Che Guevara biography! What else!!!!

I can also definitley recommend the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Very very VERY funny!

The Stand by Stephen Kind is also immensly entertaining (and if you can't be bothered to tackle its 800 or so pages you can always use it as a door stop to maintain your privacy as you enjoy your smoke!)

18. Default

As a Lawyer in Training, I usually research my cases while smoking. This might sound funny, but I enjoy an interesting Supreme Court decision when smoking a stogey.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cohibanut
    Currently a Che Guevara biography! What else!!!!
    Is that the Jon Lee Anderson book? If you like Che stuff, be sure and check out the new DVD The Motorcycle Diaries. The film is in spanish and has english subtitles, but it's really good. He and a friend of his traveled all over South America, really gives you a good view as to how he came to view the world(however one sided) Definitely a keeper of a movie if there ever was one. Most of the foreign stuff is better these days IMHO.

Blog Entries

I'm a big Dan Brown fan. I'm about to start the Da Vinci Code. I wanted to read his other books to see if I really liked how he wrote before jumping in and reading his hyped up novel. I really enjoyed Angels and Demons.

Anne Rice, Hemingway, Coontz, Koontz.. some of my other favorites
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thread Information