Thread: Too much humidity

hi everybody...

I´m all new to collecting cigars and have recently bought my first humidor...

However, it seems that the humidity dosen't drop below around 80% humidity..
    It is a spanish ceder, with a glass lid, and a plastic "tray" for the distilled water, it holds around 50 cigars..
    I have 1 box with 6 cigars, and 3 cigars on the top tray...

Do any of you have a solution, or maybe an idea what to do ???

Blog Entries

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Take a small container and fill it with salt, then sprinkle just enough water to make it "cake". Place it in a zip lock back with you hydrometer over night and it should read 75%. If it doesn’t, you should adjust it to read 75%.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

yes, it should be calibrated, i wrapped it in a towel soaked with water, and waitet a night, and calibrated it so it said 100%, but i'll try to do the salt thing you said, thx...Edited by: MesterMc

You don't calibrate to 100% using the washcloth method. Regardless, this is a more accurate method to calibrate you hygrometer:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/burema...cahy/index.cfm
    Last edited by hex1848; 02-11-2005 at 10:02 AM.

Blog Entries

That's a much better description, with pretty pictures and everything ;-)
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

thanks again :) I'll keep you updated on how it turns out...

YES !!! it worked, now its calibrated all nicely...

thanks for the help...

Blog Entries

Glad we could help.

9. Default

Well, I have a DIGITAL hygrometer and im getting a reading of 76% now!!!! I was at 74/75 for the past few days, anything I can do to get this back down in the 75 or lower range????????????????????

Blog Entries

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to remove the hydrometer from your humidor for a few minutes (15 maybe) and let the humidity drop inside the humidor, and allow for the hydrometer to loose some of its moisture.

Try to space out the time you take to fill the hydrometer a bit longer, and you may want to switch to a different humidification medium such as the 65% beads that are advertised in the Marketplace right now.

Blog Entries

Take a look at this thread for information on the Humidity Beads
    Last edited by hex1848; 02-11-2005 at 10:01 AM.

12. Default

Thanks alot Hex. I took your advice and I also bought some humidity beads. I bought the one thats perforated (the tube). However. I took the humidifier OUT and its been 72/73 since!!! Its been out for a day now!!! Looks like I do better withouth the humidifier

Blog Entries

One more thing, I would make sure your hydrometer is reading correctly. Try the test mentioned above with your digital, just to make sure its reading 75% correctly.Edited by: hex1848

Hi....new member, and this thread has helped me out....just wanted to say thanks and looking forward to posting more. still looking around at older posts and soaking up some info, but glad I found this forum.

Blog Entries

Thank you for the complement and welcome to the forum

We are still in the growing phases as far as the community goes, but we have several regulars who know what they are doing. Feel free to ask any questions that come up.

Thread Information