Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: derivation's two year contests

Default derivation's two year contests

Hard to believe that today marks two years of being on the board. I've been feeling in a very generous move recently since the phillies won the world series, so in addition to sponsoring one of the holiday writing contests, I'm starting up two more here.

The first contest, eligible for members who have joined in the same month as me (Nov '06) or before: Pick my favorite starting hold em poker hand which I irrationally play regardless of the situation. No need to pick specific suits, but you can guess if it's suited or not (assuming you don't think it's a pair). If no one gets it I'll pick the closest to it (in terms of numbers from each card).

The winner will then get to pick a (reasonably priced) box of sticks to split with me and the winner of the second contest. So assuming it's a 20 stick box, they'll get 10, I'll take 5, and send 5 to the winner of the second contest. I'll also throw in a couple of crappiest sticks I can find in my cooler.

The second contest, eligible for members who have joined after me: Pick my favorite region of the world for wine. Again, if no one picks it I'll go with the closest to it (by geography I guess).

Winner will get a 5er from the box the winner of the first contest selects, plus whatever leftover crappy sticks I haven't given to the winner of the first contest.

Standard rules apply, no asshats, no editing, etc. Only one guess per member. Contest will be open until I decide to check the board sometime next friday (the 21st). If you guess the wrong category you are dumb and disqualified.

I decided to do the contest like this since my favorite part of the board is getting suggestions for new cigars to try and share. I trust the collective experience of CS much more than any magazine, cigar blog or review site. I also enjoyed the advice that I've gotten from searching the board and reading questions asked before me. So I wanted the contest to say thanks to those who have come before me, while keeping up the spirit of how they have helped me.

I'm not the most prolific poster here, but I have learned a lot and checking the board is usually one of the highlights of my day. So thanks for a good two years. Good luck.

Blog Entries

I'm going to guess Niagra. Thanks for your generosity sponsoring all of these contests!

They grow up so fast, don't they?

I'm going to guess Hunter Valley, Australia.

Blog Entries

Cool contests. And thanks for sponsoring so many. That is very generous!

I am only eligible for the second contest. My guess is the Alexander Valley wine region, in Sonoma County, California.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Thanks for the contests, and congrats on the two years!!!
    I'm gonna say 6/5 is your favorite hold 'em hand.

Hope I have the opportunity to be as generous as you after I finish this devilish college thing...

I'm going to go with the cliche guess and go Bourdeaux

Thanks for the contests!

I'm going to guess the Cape Winelands of South Africa.

And just for shit and giggles (I know I don't qualify), I'll guess Q 8 of spades.

First congrats on the two years. It is very kind of you to sponsor these contests and give us the chance to try different smokes. Now on to business!

It's hard for me to look in my crystal ball on this one. I am mostly a whiskey and beer drinker.

Wait......its coming to me... Sam Adams Oktoberfest and winter Spice Seasonal Beers, no that's what beers you enjoy probably around this time of year. Let me shake this thing up.

Wait....Wait.....yes... yes......Glenkinchie 10, no thats the first "real" single malt you tried, remember the one the wife got you. This thing is just not working.

I do now know you have a love and appreciation of wine....being in New Jersey...I would guess if I lived there I would probably really enjoy and have pride to have a favorite made close to home....wait the crystal ball is glowing.....its says Hudson Valley!!!

Thanks for the contest. Made for some real interesting reading.

Thanks Rich

Napa Valley, California

Thanks for the contest.

Hey man congradulations! thanks for the contest.

being newly 21 and not knowing anything about wine i'm picking the most random region, and saying that you love wine from Bornova, Turkey!
    Mark 8:36

Congrats on the two year mark.
    I'm going to go with Jack / Nine suited.

My favorite irrational starting hand is Queen / Six which is also my handle on online poker.

Blog Entries

wow... I just noticed this contest, Congrats on the 2 year milestone!

I'm going to say you like wines from portugal
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I'm going to go with my favorite wine region which is Rioja, Spain.

I am going to go with my FAV... Mendocino County Wine Region... Mendocino Ca.

Congrats on two years.

I'm going to guess Sonoma, CA

How time flies. Congrats on the 2 year mark. How about Joker 10 oh wait a minute you dont use those cards do you

Lets say 8/9
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but the Niagara Region is close enough to me, so I'll go with that.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Contest will end tomorrow when I check the boards... get your guess in soon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but the Niagara Region is close enough to me, so I'll go with that.
    i got that on the first reply

Quote Originally Posted by Silencei2 View Post
    Congrats on two years.

I'm going to guess Sonoma, CA
    MRTR33 already guessed Sonoma...

Thread Information