Thread: Brag Update

Default Brag Update

I've posted here before regarding my kid, but nothing since February.

She signed to play soccer at Texas Tech back then and two weeks later had a complete tear of the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee during a poorly reffed High School game. Things got out of hand - crosstown rivalry, etc. HS soccer is something that is a distant second to club soccer, where young men and women are scouted for college. She'd actually skipped it her junior year but decided to play - senior, last year, etc.

On April 2nd, a surgeon replaced the ACL with tendon between the kneecap and tibia - the gold standard these days in regard to this kind of surgery. The procedure went perfect, the rehab has been intense, and her emotions - everyone's really - have been all over the map.

The people at Tech have been a class act. She retained her full ride and took the red shirt. She's worked her ass off and it shows - leg definition and mass have come back. A fairly severe contusion (minimal meniscus damage, amazingly) prolonged back-to-impact date, but was released to run again two weeks ago. She was ecstatic. Her trainers, therapists, and especially her coach are pretty happy too. The red shirt doesn't prevent her from playing in an informal spring season - 5 games - and she can barely wait.

Back to the emotional part - her tenacity, commitment, and courage in the face of losing something she loves, albeit temporarily, have been nothing short of inspirational.

Oh, and on the other kind of "football" she say's the Tech campus is just insane right now. She's having a pretty great time up there.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Yep, must be a great time to be a Red Raider.

Thanks for sharing the story. Down but not out. Congrats on her ambition and hard work to overcome the injury and start her return back to the game.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Congrats bro, that's awesome to read. Soccer for men is for pussies, but for girls, good God are they a brutal bunch. I would never want to play soccer with girls!
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Good news Ted. I know you are proud to see such determination in your daughter. Too many kids these days don't realize the importance of a college education and tuffing it out when times are difficult. You deserve a lot of credit for that as well. Thanks for sharing the story.

Blog Entries

I am glad that it all worked out in the end. Congrats to her!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

That is such great news. I can just see the smile. Please tell her Congrats.
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

That's great to hear.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Fantastic to hear Ted!!

Congrats to your daughter. It's great to hear there are still some kids that will work their butts off for something they love/believe in.

It looks like she picked a great school to attend with a good coach that worked with to see her through this injury. My cousin had the same exact injury in her senior year during the spring club season. However, Notre Dame was not as forgiving and took away her scholarship...

Thread Information